1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 4/7/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 6, 2024.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

We shall see.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This is exactly why some teams dont call timeout off a miss. To keep defense scrambling from being set.

Brooks stumbled overpursuing Luka, which set Luka free. It put Bullock in a no man's land dilemma. Its either let Luka get off a far but straightaway look, or go cover Exum. The Luka gravity can have you ballwatching Luka, so kinda hard to blame Bullock either way. But I'd prefer him covering Exum. But its all split second decisions

I put this 35% Brooks, 25% Bullock, 40% Jabari. All NBA Defense Brooks could stay on his feet and switch over to Exum. Bullock coulda covered Exum. Jabari shoulda/coulda guarded the perimeter cuz a 2 means nothing. Ime shoulda had Rockets fouling to begin with

ramotadab likes this.
  4. a time to chill

In this case it's appropriate. FVV is who he is. The vets provide the floor, the young core is supposed to provide the ceiling. Jabari was the 3rd pick of the draft who said he deserved to be picked first. We need our supposed stars we acquired through the draft to come up big in clutch moments. They are supposed to be the future of the team, not Fred.

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I’m wanting to say 89 or 90. Andre teamed with Haku to form the colossal connection. This argument led to there breakup as a team. I assume Andre was going to turn babyface, but his health began failing him. Not long afterwards, he travelled back to France for his father’s funeral. This sadness was too much for him. He passed away at his hotel room in Paris during the trip.

6. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Looking it up, this took place on April 1, 1990. It would be about two and a half years later he would pass in Paris.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Got ejected.

ramotadab and opticon like this.
  8. AuburnRocket

Free up that 40 mil then...could be spent much WISER IMO.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Paying someone 40 mil and expect them to not come up big in the clutch moments is asinine. Might as well pay "our supposed stars" the money

Sonicbun8 and AuburnRocket like this.
  10. AuburnRocket

Absolutely...you can't make this stuff up....it's right there...you don't fork over 40 mil to let youngsters take the lead.You, the vet are supposed to LEAD.

Sonicbun8 and Rocket River like this.
  11. a time to chill

Fred and the rest of the vets were brought in as stabilizers. The young core, Green and Smith in particular, were supposed to be the guys to lead the team to the next level. By year 3 of Fred's contract, the expectation was that the Rockets would opt out and the team would be led by Amen, Green, Smith and Sengun.

This is why I'm not mad at Fred. He's not a superstar, but for majority of the season he has provided competent play at the PG position to enable the young core to take their game to the next level. He's fulfilled his role. I would argue that Fred is the MVP for the Rockets this season because without him we wouldn't have had a chance at the play-in late in the season.

This season was never about was Fred worth the money. It was all about what do we have in Green, Smith and Sengun now that they've been surrounded by veterans to provide structure. Sengun has shown he's worth keeping. I don't know about Green and Smith.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

You give that 40m to Jabari and the team wins 20 games again. The vet has already taken the lead, he’s been the difference this year.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh out of the entire core Green and Sengun have separated themselves because those two are head and shoulders above the rest of the young core in the most important trait to become a star... playmaking out of self creation in a half court set.

Those two are the only ones out of the core who got it and with a significant gap after that is... I don't even know? Amen? Cam maybe? Definitely not Jabari or Tari. Like there is a MASSIVE drop off after those two.

And that's why I think those two are the safest bets to stay long term along with Amen because he can be the ultra utility first team all defense type of guy.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U paid someone 40 mil he's expected to lead not be the fking glue man/stabilizer. If man can't come up clutch and lead the team blaming youngsters for not doing it is just stupid.

Only year 1 and Fred is already expected to take the backseat. Why bother paying 40 mil then?

Paying someone 40 mil to roleplay Robin is such a stupid stance

AuburnRocket likes this.
  15. AuburnRocket

Guy is a real liability on defense, can't make a layup AT ALL, shoots 41% from the field on high volume, 37.7% from 3 and earns 400% more than these youngsters. FIRST YEAR and the youngsters are supposed to win the games ? OK..if you say so. Don't agree for a second.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I just find it hilarious folks get their panties in a bunch about maxing or paying money to our youngsters yet attempt to give a pass to fvv. Man is being paid 40 mil and some r fine with him roleplaying as robin instead of taking over games

AuburnRocket likes this.
  17. AuburnRocket

It is hilarious. We are talking 40 million and don't want to pay these youngsters they expect so much from.

18. AuburnRocket

I didn't say to pay Jabari 40 mil....but, tell you what ...let's look a couple of years down the road and see whose helping their team the most. 40 mil ? The only greater mismanagement of money is our country.

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

As someone who was once 20 years old and having two sons who each were once 20 years old, I am not gonna give Jabari **** for being 20 and tightening up in a tough situation. Learn from it and move on.

These are still essentially kids put in pressure cooker situations. I don't expect them to handle it like a grizzled vet. Once he's had a few of these situations he'll (hopefully) be better each time.

If you are not satisfied with the improvement we've seen in this team this season, your expectations were unreasonable. The future is bright. Go Rockets.

Sonicbun8, Easy, ramotadab and 3 others like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Irrelevant loss. 4 more games until the real progress begins.