1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That’s at least the fourth time we lost a game where the team needed a three to tie and we let them.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Apr 7, 2024.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s four losses that could’ve been prevented if they execute the defensive game plan. We could be 42-35 with those 4 games in our back pocket and looking at a playin berth. That’s sickening and somebody should lose their job or position big for that bs.

I can see that happening once, maybe twice, buts that’s happened at least 4 times. That’s ridiculous. That shows they’re not learning from their mistakes and repeating them.

hajkov, ramotadab, cml750 and 10 others like this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

And the worse thing about that play is there was more vets on the floor than rookie contract so it’s inexcusable

3. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s like he tells them run some clock then foul… just foul the guy as soon as catches the inbounds …

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

young team makes young team mistakes, more news at 11.

pmac, ramotadab, Rocketeer and 2 others like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This game hurt….suffering hurt

ThatBoyNick and jim1961 like this.
  6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

psychological. Need to get over this mental block. Not sure what caused it but this team has been like this since last 2 years

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

What were the other three games? I’m a glutton for pain, embarrassment, and disappointment and I want to go rewatch every single one of them while I bang my head against a wall.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Telling me they wouldn’t have called these fouls in the first quarter?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WE’RE TRYING TO FOUL! CALL THE FOUL!

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly. My son and I were screaming CALL THE FOUL. It was very clear that’s what we were doing.

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Bullock tried to foul Exum in the backcourt. Brooks tried to foul Luka. I wonder sometimes if our fans are actually watching these games. Can't make the refs call the foul unless they tackle him in that situation. But then they probably get a flagrant 2. They were instructed to foul. They tried to foul. Just didn't happen. The anti players/coach narratives have gotten ridiculous, and in most cases dishonest.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bullock wasn’t trying to foul, or he would have while he was running next to the dribbler for 5 dribbles. He even exaggerated no contact, when he spread his arms out.

it’s OK to say Bullock obviously fukked up.

He even closed on Luka standing 40’ out, rather that going to the open man. Lulz.

HardenReturns and AlperenSengun like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rewatch the play. Bullock was running next to the dribbler for five dribbles, and even spread his arms to exaggerate no contact.

He had plenty of opportunities to foul that dribbler, if he really was “trying to foul.”

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  13. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Rockets’ had a good season. Overall they are just too young but I’m pleased with the progress the Rockets showed as a team. I’m especially encouraged (though not entirely sold) by Jalen Green and the young cats and rooks as well. Bari showed very solid improvement, Amen, and Cam also. Senguin already all star level production, only gonna get better. Lastly, Rox still got Brooklyn’s pick in this (albeit weak) draft and Tari will be back too.

Looking forward to next season.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Bullock didn’t look like he was trying to foul…he tried a very soft reach-in/steal attempt initially, but he didn’t look like someone who was trying to commit a foul

Brooks looked like was trying to foul Luka, but was he even able to make any contact?

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, Brooks took a weak swipe at Luka, but Bullock never made a single attempt to foul anyone. This is entirely on Ime. He claims he wanted them to foul intentionally, but 3 of the defenders were never anywhere near the ball before the shot was attempted. And Bullock clearly didn't listen to his coach's supposed instructions, because he was just playing defense the whole way down the court.

And this is just 2 weeks after the OKC game where Amen(a very good defender) didn't foul at the end and let them get off a game-tying 3. Luckily they escaped that one in OT, but you'd think the coaching staff would make damn sure that sort of mistake wouldn't happen again.

Also, let's not forget the Portland loss at home where Fred wound up being the defender against a much taller player which allowed a clean look at a 3 to be launched.

At some point, the coaching staff has to take ownership of this because it keeps happening and it's not like it's due to a single player screwing up. The entire team seems to have no clue how to execute late in games where they're up 3.

Easy and pippendagimp like this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Well, recently the one against the Thunder. Amen should've fouled. But we ended up winning. It's still the wrong play but we got saved by the dub.

Seems like there was one earlier this year too. The Spurs game Jabari again missing clutch free throws to seal it and they came back to win in OT but that's not the same situation. Or the 76ers where Jalen passed it off to Landale who fumbled it but again, not the same situation. I think the Cavs game went to OT because everyone missed everything at the end... who was it? Grizzlies? And then the next game the same situation came up they did foul and we won.

They weren't all losses and I can't remember which game it was but just doing a little searching for it made me realize this team was anything but clutch. And having veterans to make plays at the end of games was a bust too. Probably on the short list of demerits for the season with half court offense.

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It's a young team with growing pains, but we definitely have to make it a habit to ice games with free throws.

Go up four points with free throws with a few seconds left. Make your job easier and close them out.

It's part of developing a killer instinct for regular season and playoff wins.

apollo33 likes this.
  18. SuraGotMadHops

Make your damn free throws.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember the Landale game where we needed a 3 to tie but he drove to the hoop for a layup which was blocked.

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Is there a thing where you tell the refs before hand you are going to foul so they call it right away? I feel like this will ease up the confusion

gfab-babyboi and Mathloom like this.