1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by austinite, Apr 25, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He should aim to be the best Robert Horry he can be.

Not disappointed with him this season so far.

His advanced stats look pretty good.

Like Jalen, he needs to accept that Sengun is the hub, and fit in.

I agree with what @Clutch said about Jalen, except it applies to Alpi:

The Rockets' core for the future is Alperen Sengun.

That's it. That's the core.

FVV, Dillon, Tari are definitely great pieces around Alpi.

If Jalen and Jabari accept their roles, and the sooner they accept them, the more success we will have as a team.

randerson, maypk and cml750 like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. i3artow i3aller

4. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I'm a big Sengun fan, and he's been improving on D faster than I expected this year. That said, no team in the NBA has a core of 1 player that doesn't suck. We also aren't going to have many more top 3 picks to complete that core, so we need other players to step up. Add to that, we aren't an isolation team any more - Ime requires ball-sharing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

weak mental just like kwame

6. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

The best thing to happen to him was not getting drafted #1. He would be looked at like a colossal bust if he was the first pick.

rfrocket likes this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That’s why I would like to get a quality power forward. Jabari hasn’t had to work for anything and was handed a starting spot. He’s never had anyone breathing down his back to light a fire under his ass. If so he would be coming off the bench. He is the softest player on the team physically and mentally.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  8. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

If it's not a 3pt shot in the clutch, keep that ball the f away from Jabari.

9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Overrated defense, no handle, no pass, average scoring. Fumbling times and times again with pressure. TBH he is the weakest and always was from young core. Make trade with him for PG and end this nonsense

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  10. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

This is what I don't understand about him. You were drafted 3rd. The two guys before you who you felt like you should have been drafted over(who remembers his draft day pouting) are lapping you right now and getting all the shine by the media. Why are you playing like you're just content being "a guy"? He'll be like his father, a journeyman. Guys like him don't just develop a killer instinct.

11. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

There's a reason so many compared him to Trevor Ariza.

12. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Bari is an Ime type player. Weak physically and mentally as a big is no good. I believe when Ime is talking about the team being soft he is talking about Bari a lot of the time. He hasn't shown the promise of Alpi or Jalen with his latest hot season ending stretch. Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being one of the core 6 who is ultimately traded.

13. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Brooks/Bari/24 pick for Bridges. Make it happen.

14. JazzLakerHater

Was thinking the exact same thing. He is such a weak player, physically and mentally. This soft s**t ain’t gonna cut with Ime.

roxallways likes this.
  15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No Brooks and Bari and a pick should give JJJ or nothing else

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like Bari’s long term outlook, but he did not show up today. He continues to be super tentative, and he can’t finish at the rim. I’m hoping with time, both those issues go away because the processing will get better with experience, and he’ll grow into his body and get stronger.

Bari took a good step this year. Getting the shooting right was the most important thing and he did that. But he needs to take a big step in year 3. Lots of other things to work on. I’m still buying Bari long term as an elite 3&D 4 with size.

#416 Aruba77, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Sonicbun8 likes this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The panic is crazy. He deserves the same amount of leash as the rest of the young guys.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Did Jabari really take a step this year? His stats are almost the exactly the same as last year and the eye test kind says the same thing.

I thought his best case scenario was Klay Thompson-esque but it looks like the ceiling might be more Khrs Middleton. I'll stand on my previous hot take where it would be team catastrophic if we were to max him.

What concerns me is that his lateral quickness won't improve and I just don't see enough fluidity to ever make him a better shot creator. I think the only true pathway for him to be come an all-star caliber player is at the 5 and he needs a lot more sand his pants to ever make that a reality. Lots of yellow flags for me.

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yeah this narrative died with Jalen's emergence. Sengun will be a very good number 2 option next year though

20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He took a step but he’s still the 4th/5th/6th option … scoring wise

He is similar to Jalen it seems as he needs touches to get rhythm - but Bari lower body is still weak so his post game is slow and clunky and he gets pushed off his spot

His rebounding improved a lot but he’s not the vertical player I hoped he would be … if he had Stromile or Kemp leaping ability his ceiling would be way higher