1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Stefon Diggs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2024.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fairly obvious that there's a handshake agreement between Diggs and the Texans. We'll eventually find out what that looks like.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You think an in season extension?

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This whole situation is really interesting. On the surface it seems like there wasn't much good reason for them to zero out those future years on Diggs' contract. They had him at a reasonable base salary assuming he performs and there was no downside/dead money if they cut him, so why let him become a free agent? But they also know Diggs' reputation and tendency to be a whiner when things aren't going his way. So I'm wondering if they never really expected to have him more than 1 year, even if they didn't void the contract. If that's the case, then the Texans letting him become a free agent after this year pretty well guarantees his good behavior all season, since he knows if he causes problems on a 3rd team that it will definetely affect the contract he gets at the end of the year.

But then that means the Texans were always planning on this being a one year rental, which definitely makes the 2nd round draft pick feel a little steep, but not exhorbitantly so. Certainly if they take that next step and go deep in the playoffs then it will almost certainly have been worth it.

For any capologist or contracts experts, would they have been able to put the void years on his contract if they didn't zero out the remaining actual years?

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why is that 'obvious'?

5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Not sure.... at TexansCap did a mock up... it's in this thread somewhere IIRC

6. ABforPresident

Did Diggs have a no trade clause? I saw a tweet that said he was free to seek out the trade partner for where he wanted to go (anyone but the Chiefs)

My theory is that Diggs and his agent told any team interested in trading for him that they had to void the remaining years for him to sign off

raining threes likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think both of you are off a little, in opposite directions.

@Colt45
    Extrapolating Kurt Warner's stats after 6 games to an entire season is not realistic because it assumes everything would have continued to go right and nothing wrong. 6,000-6,500 yards for the season was not going to happen.

@JHarden713
    Last year, CJ averaged 274 ypg. 280-300 ypg for 2024 isn't just "realistic", it's downright pessimistic (IMO). The Texans' passing game this year should be more seasoned, dynamic and productive than last year. If CJ plays all 17 games and averages 300-325 ypg, he'll finish between 5,100-5,525 yards.

#567 A_3PO, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not pessimistic. If this team is as good as they look on paper, there will be many games where we are running out the clock. Absolutely can reach those numbers if they’re playing from behind and forced to throw. I don’t think that’s likely with this team

JHarden713 likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Tinhorns? That's the best they could come up with? Very corny.

Ratbirds (what Bengals, Browns and Steelers fans call the Ravens) is much better.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I think tinhorn is an old term and roughly means: all hat no cattle. Sounds stupid, I grant you…

11. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

You're not taking into consideration that Joe will have over 1k rushing yards. Mixon will have way more touches than Devin did. 5-5.5k yards for CJ is realistic, everything above that kudos to him.

A_3PO likes this.
  12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Nico might have the least amount of targets out of the three.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't expect Mixon to have a lot more carries than Singletary but he definitely will have more receptions.

IMO, the main differences between the two are (1) Mixon's far superior ability to convert short yardage runs and (2) he's a much better receiver. Outside of these two areas, they give similar results.

It's possible Slowick decides to go "Kyle" on the Texans and remain committed to establishing the run each and every game just for the sake of doing so. But if the O-line can pass-protect worth a dime, everyone will see keeping the ball in CJ's hands is what they should do 70+% of the time.

jch1911 likes this.
  15. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Yea but with Diggs it opens up our run game as well (more weapons). N we have a better RB than we did the previous year. Yes he'll get lotta reception as well but we'll mix it up. It'll definitely be fun to watch, 6 legit offensive weapons/playmakers (including CJ).

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

was restructuring Diggs' contract necessary to consummate the trade?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When the Bills announced the trade immediately when it happened and the Texans did not, my thought was there were contractual issues being ironed out. To your point, it seems these issues were settled post-trade.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

My thought was sharing targets would make a trade demand inevitable in Houston just as the Bills move toward a less pass happy offense made this trade happen.

It also shifts a small amount of dead cap up a year. It's not a huge move to maximize this season's prospects. The perspective for Diggs is the cost to franchise him would be higher. I see little chance he's here in 2025.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

To get CJ to 5K:
    - CJ needs to go from 21 completions/gm to 26 comps/gm. Attemping 5 more passes/gm at 68% completion. 8 yards per attempt. That gets him to approx 5200. (This is approximate to what Mr 5000 Drew Brees did in 16 games. About same for Mahomes last year). League leading completions per game is around 26/28.

- Mixon is the variable that affects the total the most. Its not as simple as Mixon adding his stats on TOP of the others. He can either get more rushes per game, which takes away from pass attempts. Or increase his catches in place of rushing, which obviously adds to passing total.

- With those extra 5 completions per game, CJ needs to increase his completion %. He was 64% last year. 68% might be high end, 66% is reasonable, but lets go for 68%. Dumpoffs to RB'S is lower yards per attempt. So those extra passsing yards is helped by Mixon being one of the extra completions per game. And the other 4 to WR's/TE's.

- Helps having mix of great defense getting more stops to get more offensive possessions. Along with being in shootouts & close games where its throwing 45-50 times. But the key is getting 5 extra completions DESPITE any increase in rushing attempts & anything else going on.

Like A-3PO said, don't discount Slowik establishing more runs because "Wam Bam SHANAHAN System" & stuff. But if Justin Herbert & Jameis Winston can do it, Stroud is capable

20. blackistan

blackistan Member

I wasn't even in favor of the trade when I found it it was for a 2nd and then on top of that they void the final years and basically make this a one year rental not worth it IMO esp not for a one and done situation