1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. pippsux

pippsux Member

and why would the Cavs do the trade?????

jim1961 likes this.
  2. pippsux

pippsux Member

i say keep JG, AS and work on trading Jabari, Amen and maybe Cam or Brooks

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This is fair.

i’m really not interested in extending him, unless it is in extremely team friendly.

That being said, yes I generally think he has turned a corner. There will still be inconsistency, but I think he is doing enough of the “other” things to more often than not balance out some offense inefficiency.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen would be the Point forward there, and that would be fine having Jalen on one wing and Cam on the other.

Cam, IMHO will be the best player on the Rockets within 3 years....

DD

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

Cam honestly needs another year off the bench to learn some control but I think he can easily better than Jalen if Jalen doesn’t carry this last stretch to next season

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was apparant that the 'other things' were not enough against the better teams of the NBA when he is not shooting 60% from 3.

Especially when players that cover for him like Amen Thompson got injured and Fred VV and Brooks playing like semi crap.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

He will be a RFA after next season so no need to make that call unless he accepts a discount.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

No one player is enough to beat the best teams otherwise Jordan would've won rings without Pippen and LeBron wouldn't have left Cleveland.

Not sure why the whole "blame Jalen for all the losses" narrative is back when its clear even in the losses he was the best player or one of the best players on the team that game, which tbh is all you can ask for.

Rashmon and Rocketeer like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

ANNND another terrible straight up BS take from you.

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...player_id2=monkma01&p2yrfrom=2020&p2yrto=2020

Better across the board in every way!

Check the per 36

Check the advanced

roslolian likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I will also add Cam is a bad NBA player right now, even if he scores efficiently.

Dude has bad defense and awareness, the opponents targets him on defense and he doesn't do the little things like crash the boards or get steals and deflections. But then again he is a massive improvement over rookie JG imo, but still far from the current JG or even Amen. And he is also only 19 so the potential is def sky high.

Hopefully he improves this offseason and balls out next year.

GotGame15 and jcmoon like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

So, you are saying Jalen isn’t good enough to carry a team against “the better teams of the NBA” with no Sengun, no Tari, no Amen and both high-paid vets “playing like crap”?

Who is?

These takes are so reductive. Yes, he plays worse against great teams when he has no help than he does against bad teams when others also play well. Almost no player in the NBA can beat good teams on their own.

Jalen is far from perfect, but the constantly moving bar on this forum is absurd. Over the last 20 games, both good and bad, he has been all-NBA level.

To revert with “if you take out the good games, it doesn’t look so good,” or “sure, but he was bad early in the year” or “but he can’t beat the Mavs alone”, you are just trolling or a diehard pessimist or defending a prior perspective.

The only reasonable objections are “I need to see it keep up to start next season” or “I worry about the fit with Sengun”. Everything else negative is silly.

Rashmon, Philip K. Nick and Rocketeer like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why I never wanted to begin the rebuild with a scrawny SG in the first place.

The backbone of a team has to be tough and possess sound fundamentals...

Do you know how much resources you have to use up to fundamentally change a guy like that?

I don't want to ever draft such a guy again, it's revolting.

I am not even talking about the daily grind with people who are in love with athleticism on a daily basis, it's beyond taxing.

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Folks have their preferences. If Jalen was stinking it up then sure get triggered I just find it funny for posters to move goal post to sht on a player they dislike for things not even basketball related.

Personally I enjoy seeing the improvement to Jalen Green's game will he b the franchise player? Who knows but its better rooting for him than btch about him 24/7 for ego boasting

Strawberry Gum and Rocketeer like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think he will be what he always was. Someone who had potential but mentally is too weak for professional sports. Him doing good at the end of the year is a curse because now we are going to be locked onto him but he will revert back to old Jalen slowly but surely and lose his trade value. I would rather minimize risk and sell while his stock is the highest.

16. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Superstar status next year

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly this is box score watching. For example his defensive leap happened one month prior to the ASB.

His dip in the past 4 games are the same reason Sengun saw a dip in production and efficiency once the all-star buzz was around him. He started getting doubled every time he had the ball.

18. MystikArkitect

Issue is that Jalen is the worst of both worlds. He's a wing without the size of one. Wings aren't table setters. They are efficient scorers with size. At Jalen's size you're either a PG with a supercomputer for a brain or you're a 3 and D Caruso type. He is neither.

It's all moot. Certainly feels like the Rockets will take him to RFA and figure it out from there. But they absolutely need a backup plan at the 2 spot next year to cover 6/7 months Jalen isn't going nuclear.

subtomic and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am very much open to resetting this and ignore both his amateurish play and his superstar play all alike and start next season.

And yes, it is really hard to pinpoint what actually he is and then pay him accordingly.

That is why the KPJ Contract was so good ......with all the incentives but not fully guaranteeing him.

#99 daywalker02, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I remember the Wolves announcer saying "Green is as quick as the fastest guards in the league like JA and Fox but is 6'6" instead of 6'3". "

Tim Legler said after watching the OKC game. "why is Green listed at 6'4"? He looks like a wing or small forward size but has elite quickness and handling of a guard".

Now tell me why I should believe the eye over theirs?