1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Much like the Bears and Justin Fields, if you still have questions after 3 years, it’s probably time to move on.

You can keep reaching in the excuse bag all you want.

[​IMG]

Contrary to popular belief, Jalen Green is not the first ever player to be drafted to a bad team, bad franchise, bad coach with less than ideal circumstances.

I have no interest in being the team that pays him. None.

How many 1-game, 3-game, 5-game, 10-game sample sizes are you gonna be fooled by?

It was funny to read Stone tell Iko “he just kept grinding, no excuses.”

I ain’t no sixth man
    I ain’t being used the right way
    Ime sucks
    Ime needs an offensive assistant
    Sengun got in the way
    Playing too slow; up the tempo

Greenies are starting to blame Ime again. Blamed Ime and Sengun before the 11 game streak. Didn’t hear **** about Ime during the 11 games and needing a better offense, an offensive assistant, or this and that. Here it comes again. “Ime sucks. Ime needs an offensive coordinator. Ime needs to fix the offense. Ime needs to do this and that.”

So he can only play well against mediocre/trash teams
    He can only play well after the all-star break
    Needs to play fast uptempo to be good err “to utilize him to best of his ability” (so you’re saying he can’t play in the halfcourt)
    Needs a certain type of center

Nets 8th/9th/10th pick, Jalen, (plus plenty of salary filler and other picks), what can I get?

Despite going “supernova”, back to where we started.
    [​IMG]

#21 J.R., Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We see what teams offer for him, and make a decision on trade or wait.

DD

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Are we taking our apologies back? Asking for my friend @Os Trigonum .

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrifying guy to trade. Terrifying guy to keep.

I think we have to ride it out unless we get a Godfather offer. Half the battle is the body language, which has vastly improved throughout the season.

Catch & shoot percentages are going to be huge next year. He has to be able to make open shots without all the dribbling.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For all the great stretches, after the whole season picture has taken shape he's put up the similar production on the exact same efficiency (terrible) that he did the last 2 seasons. For people saying how different he looked, he had a similar nuclear stretch at the end of his rookie season

Done enough to not trade (only because I don't see a great return), but basically where I was to start the season. Right now he looks like a 6th man who can have hot stretches, but will have more bad games than good and isn't a player that is part of any core. Hopefully next season he will prove us doubters wrong and show that March Jalen is the real one from opening night and maintain it even when playing good teams.

If I were doing a prospect power rankings, he is clearly behind Sengun and Thompson, behind Smith and Whitmore (pretty easily IMO) and maybe even with Eason only because I don't see gamebreaker potential from Eason, who's a better NBA player right now.

As always I hope I'm wrong and ready to eat that crow, but I'm still not buying Green stock because of a few games in March mostly against terrible teams.

#25 sealclubber1016, Apr 6, 2024
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's why keeping him as a RFA is the best way to go.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I trust Ime to make the right call.

But I paid attention to the agendas that popped up when our franchise player got injured and Jalen had his annual hot stretch against bad teams.

The uncomfortable truth is that Jalen's production and efficiency is exactly the same in his first three seasons and has not improved.

nolimitnp, rcketsfan1, Melik and 8 others like this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I want us to see how Cam Whitmore progresses as a starting 2 before making any decisions. If Cam is ready to start as a 2 guard, then trade JG for picks or something that we actually need. I think Cam might be the Superstar guard that we thought Jalen could be. If Amen can improve his shot to at least be respectable, then we have the talent on the wings we've needed anyways. Just get players that fit what Ime needs to take us to the promise land.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean he improved his rebounding, assist numbers and a little Defense....if we want to give him a little credit.

10. invocux

invocux Member

Get rid of him as soon as possible. His numbers are worse, he still can't rise to the occassion and balls out against bums like he always did. Playmaking got a little better but that's not enough to keep him around. Monk plays 5 minutes less than him and has more assists (5.1 to 3.5) and higher assists to turnover ratio. Higher TS% (56.4 to 54.3) is a better 3pt shooter and better at the line. He's not the guy you think he is. You trap him and he turns into the most average sg you could ever imagine. You force him to go his left and his efficiency drops even more. He's easy to figure out if you are not a below average bb player. He's going to look even worse in the playoffs. I do not want a transition shooting guard on this team. We can not build around this run and dunk guy.

Arda, Tankeio and Sengoat28 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are not wrong, when he is figured out, you can easily game plan against the likes of him when you are a decent Playoff team.

Arda likes this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

100%

He also should hire Tim Grover as his trainer.

Needs to get stronger.

Did wonders for MJ, Kobe and many more.

And no I'm not comparing him to either... :cool:

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't extend him this summer.

What I need from him to be willing to match any offer as RFA:

36% from 3
    6+ FTA
    4+ assists
    4+ rebounds
    Slightly improved defensive awareness and consistency
    Slightly more muscle

That's a very achievable minimum.

If I'm Stone/Udoka I'm telling Jalen that we will choose his shooting coach this summer and they will report progress to the team every week. Green's shooting is the difference between him being worth 1 pick and 4 picks. That's a franchise-altering swing.

Don't give me that "it's on him" hands off BS. This is our asset and we are paying our staff to develop assets for the good of the team. Even if you have to secretly drag him through it and trade him later, do it. DO NOT ALLOW HIM TO PRIVATELY JUST TRAIN WITH SOMEONE WHO IS BEHOLDEN TO JALEN'S FAME AND MONEY. Those non-NBA Instagram trainers are useless, I bet NBA coaches hate them.

Personally I would do same with Amen and Sengun but those two have a bit more leeway. Lock these 3 in a gym with a shooting coach this summer, it's the most important factor in our future.

#33 Mathloom, Apr 6, 2024
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

IF only Jalen were good at baby hooks he would be adored! LOL

No Worries likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

Should be traded if we can get someone at the position who is more consistent and a better shooter. Was a fun run in March but his trade value has never been higher and no one would blame the front office for cutting bait.

Jabari/Sengun/Amen should be the focus. Aka the players who have shown consistency. Stone isn't cutthroat like that though. His wife has his balls in her purse so I'm sure Jalen will be here next year doing this same song and dance and we'll regret not trading him like the Nets regret not trading Mikal.

NewAge likes this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think exactly the opposite way.

The MJ ceiling was talked about pre-draft: the explosion in traffic, the hang-time, the body contortions, footwork creating separation - you could see these things in the high school and G-league highlights. In the NBA it wasnt working most of the time. During the 11-game streak you could see some of it. Some of it was against the likes of a disinterested Corey Kispert, but some of it was against the likes of Caruso and Lu Dort, i.e. legit good defenders.

So yeah, this is there, and has been there. But so was for Harold Miner and Isiah Rider... Still a "wait-and-see" thing.

However, I think the floor was raised quite a bit. Making big contributions in wins is something that shows growth beyond the "total bust" floor. What he learned this year under Udoka, secured him a long career in the NBA, at some TBD level. Just being professional, competitive, focused on winning, giving effort and attention to details. That was missing in Year 1 and 2. He looked good during stretches in the Silas clown-show, but in my mind that never guaranteed that he could make it in the league.

harold bingo likes this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's worrying. So what you are saying is we need to:
    [​IMG]

18. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MONK in year 7 lol

MONK in year 3
    55 1 21.3 3.9-8.9 43.4 1.1-3.7 28.4 1.5-1.8 82.0 0.5 2.4 2.9 2.1 0.3 0.5

you just typing, this is JG first time seeing doubles last 4 games ….if he had players who could make shots and bunnies outside of ALPI his assist would be way higher

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

10 day contracts as far as the eyes can see.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm still downtown.