1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka says Rockets looked "soft or scared" in loss to Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 4, 2024.

1. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Tough loss, but not the end of the world. We're trending up from previous seasons and growing pains are part of it. On to the next one.

Mathloom and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I been saying all season he needs to hire offensive assistant coach

Mathloom and napalm06 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know.

DD

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Soft ass b**** boys.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Expectations get too high during winnings streaks no doubt. Bottom line is this team is really young and above that was poorly coached for a long period of time. What the winning streak does show is this team isn’t bad and neither is the talent on it. We just came off multiple seasons of being one of the **** teams that other teams feasted on. Now we’re borderline good and also missing a couple of key players.

glimmertwins likes this.
  6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....unfortunately you give up as much defensively as you gain offensively with Cam at this point AND his efficiency isn't quite what you want from a guy who is going to shoot it most of the times the ball end up in his hands. He will get better in all these areas, but he is an incredibly limited player at this stage in development even with all the positives he brings as a scorer. Smarter teams like the Warriors will take full advantage exploiting weaknesses against players like that.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

his TS% is the same as FVV who is getting paid max, while Cam is 19 years old. Cam's PER is even just as good as FVV. let that sink in.

for the limited role he plays and comes off the bench, his efficiency has been just fine. In fact it's ahead of what you'll see out of most 19 year olds that you'll ever see

If you're going to complain about efficiency, it should be pointed at guys like JG who takes the most shots and minutes and is still in the bottom part of the team in both TS% and PER. DB is right there with him

Care to go back a few years to other 19 year olds like Sengun, Bari, JG and see what their efficiency numbers were. Just a hint: They weren't higher than Cam's.

#87 YOLO, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guarantee the org knows whom they are wanting to build around and whom they want to move - Ime will be on lock this summer and players will be moved.

DD

9. maypk

maypk Member

He was benched literally one time. Against the Hawks. That's it. Stop acting like Sengun was benched every second game.

cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

If Jabari is neither a C nor a PF, he's simply not a starting caliber NBA player. He doesn't have any handling or dribbling skills to play at SF.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Depending on the lineup, I'm not sure there's much difference between the 3 or the 4 for the Rockets. If you are OK with Sengun, Jabari, and Tari/Amen in the front court, then I think you *could* have Jabari try to focus on guarding guards/wings on defense with Sengun+Tari/Amen/etc focusing on rim protection and rebounds. You can then flip roles back on offense. I think Jabari *can* do well guarding some guards, but depends on the matchup (kinda like guarding big 5s).

Jabari is still too young and underdeveloped physically for me to be certain, but I am leaning more towards a 3/4 than a 4/5. Maybe partly because of the other guys on the team. I think he if he had 2 other good rebounders (particularly guys who box out), he'd probably do a better job on the glass. But probably not that great if he's the only big trying to get rebounds.

I'm not as much of a Dillon hater as others (I'm relatively happy with his performance this year), but the fact he *seemingly* does so little on the glass kinda hurts these non-Sengun/non-Tari lineups IMO.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You missed the point entirely. At least guys like FVV and Green are able to contribute in other areas. I'll say it one more time and listen closely this time - Cam is a limited player at this stage in his development. Until he can find ways to become significantly better as a defender, at communicating more effectively on the court, at doing the little things to keep the ball moving when appropriate, box out people near him, etc - then he hasn't earned the time just because he is 'at least as good at TS% as FVV'.

There are a lot of ways to contribute to winning a basketball game - Cam does a handful of things really well for his age(I'm the biggest fan - was worried at the time we should have taken him instead of Amen early in the draft) but once again smart teams will take full advantage of all the things he doesn't do well(or at all) at this stage in his youth and that was on display last night if you are paying attention to more than just stat lines. If we had given him another 10 minutes of play we would have lost by more than 23 last night.

I have no concerns about Cam's long term scoring - he is proving he can be an effective NBA scorer just like we thought and he has made some progress in showing he isn't a total black hole on offense and can find teammates at times....but he also hasn't really done anything to address the knocks on his game either - that he lacks feel for knowing when to pass and when to score, he doesn't read the defense well, he loses interest on defense and doing the little things. I'm optimistic he will get there under Udoka but he still has a quite a bit of work to do.

Kevooooo and Little Bit like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

They "contribute" in other areas because they take up all the minutes and have the freedom to do what they want. Cam has a specific defined limited role and efficiency wise is just fine for his rookie year. And when you take into account he's the one coming from being able to do what he wants his adjustment is that much more impressive.

Looks like the staff disagrees with you when he has earned his time. and they waste no time inserting him back in coming back from injury. Most of you didn’t even think he would be in the rotation this year and would spend all his time in the gleague. Instead that’s a playground for him and easily dominates it.

The judgement on him not being able to do literally nothing else comes from the lack of being in a bigger role. He wasn't Nova's best player just because he could shoot 3's lol. In fact he didn't even shoot that well in his only year there.

#93 YOLO, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yeah, that's weird - I don't ever remember arguing for Cam to spend the year in the g-league. 20-25 minutes sounds right to me. You must be confusing me with someone else. In any case, I'm not wasting time with someone who isn't even reading what I'm writing and is just speaking to strawmen.... I guess this we are going to have Cam Only Fans moving forward too. Next year is going to be a blast with a bunch of Only Fans....every perceive slight puts you in a box with all the haters. Give me a ****ing break.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

You can look it up. Most of you certainly applies. Does it say you said. Nope

then don’t complain about efficiency when it isn’t something to complain about. He’s one of the last players on this team where that comes into play

16. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

From the tip they didn't look right. 100% with Ime on this, no hustle, no focus, and showed no heart this game. This is a game we really needed Tari. DB didn't rally the troops like he should. I'm really more curious to see how they respond against the "Heatles".

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member