1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen/Alpe Dilemma

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 28, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He already did not well against Mavs and Dubs.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The minority doesn't represent everybody who roots for green just like how the few hardcore sengunatics doesnt represent those who root for sengun.

All I know is now that folks are doubling team green, sengun would have reliably bail him out and vice versa if green current level is consistent.
    Our vets really are there for culture values cause they can't b trust to carry or bail green out.

#142 DatRocketFan, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
    J Sizzle and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Risingred

Risingred Member

There is no denying that Green had a good stretch, but the fact does not change. The point I have been making since the beginning of the season is that we have been outscored by opponents on the 3s and the coaching staffs finally realized the problem since the all-star break. I don't remember how many posts I made about Green was all about his inconsistent 3P shooting because this is the trends for the modern NBA, all teams are shooting 3s, a lot of 3s, especially the corner 3s. Let's look at the team stats, these are the teams with the lower 3P% this year:

20. Chicago 35.9%
    21. Utah 35.6%
    22. Orlando 35.5%
    23. Houston 35.1%
    24. Portland 35%
    25. Charlotte 34.9%
    26. Detroit 34.8%
    27. Toronto 34.8%
    28. San Antonio 34.7%
    29. Washington 34.7%
    30. Memphis 34.7%

The two teams with highest 3P% are Boston and OKC. If this is not enough evidence why 3P% is so important in the modern NBA, I don't know what is. When your star is a SG and make below average on 3P% on a decent volume, it's extremely hard to make up the difference. Pistons made the least 3s and owned one of the worst 3P% during that 20+ losing streak. That's all based on facts, but people just blindly defend Green and call other people haters or Sengunatics. Look at our winning streak, Green was shooting 40% from 3s. The Minny game a few days ago, if Green shot better than 2-11 we would have a chance. It doesn't make Green less impressive on that stretch, but the problem still exists. Green is still sitting at 33.5% on 3P%. which is 3% below the average. Look at our rosters, FVV, Bari, Tari, Cam, Brooks, Holiday made average percentage of 3s. Amen and Sengun are non-shooters. Where are the 3s come from? On a roster construction standpoint, trading Green is the easiest option, unless you have some stupid GMs or we attach a high lottery pick to unload Brooks and his contract. This is all based on facts, not based on some emotions that will keep our team mediocre forever. If Green can keep making 40% of his 3s, the roster is already complete and Stone doesn't need to do anything. If you don't care about Rockets future and only care about the entertainment that some windmill dunks or crazy athleticism our players displayed, I apologize because our goals are different and you're welcome to support the team that way.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't find your analysis to be in good faith because you pretend Green's job is to be a spot up stretch 2. I'm both the Wolves and Warriors game his on/off impact was positive. Why? Because his main goal as a player isn't to be a stretch 2, it's to create 4 vs 3 situations on offense because he has by far the most gravity on his team when Sengun is out.

So is your goal to find a replacement for Green who is better at spot up shooting or a replacement for Green who can provide equal gravity that creates 4 vs 3 situations consistently during a game?