1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movies] Fantastic Four 1 & 2 & Doctor Doom (MCU)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

tinman likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Don’t love the gender-swapped Silver Surfer news. This is an iconic hero, and there are other female heralds they could use.

Jontro, cwebbster and clos4life like this.
  3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If she uses her Ruth voice this could be comedy gold, but I have zero faith after all the duds Marvel has put out since End Game.

4. Xerobull

Look at the city in the pic. This ain’t the regular MCU earth…

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They aren't casting Storm to be played by Haley Joel Osment anytime soon.

tinman likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Magic Johnson son should play her.

robbie380 likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Isn't it more or less a voice-over credit?

Surfer was kinda mopey and sad sack when the reader got a glimpse of his thoughts.

Norrin Radd...more like Norrin Sadd.

Is The Surfer Monologues in the works... a Disney+ Limited Exclusive MCU Spotlight Miniseries?

A TV-MA rating will spice that baby up for all the kids to watch.

8. Xerobull

Turns out it’s not a gender swap, it’s Shalla-Bal, his lover. It’s a What If…? Scenario, which fits with the rumors that the FF come into the MCU from another reality. Look at the Human Torch pic I posted above- it’s certainly not the MCU (‘our’) earth.

I can live with this more than a straight gender swap. It does throw a wrench in the original story of Sue charming the Surfer, causing him to turn on Galactus, though. Or maybe they’ll scissor.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . they doing the same mistake they always do . .. . . they should do a simple origin story
    without any BIG BADs . . .. at least not until the end . . . . The strength of Iron Man and Capt America
    is that it was ABOUT THEM more than their Villians.

Silver Surfer and Doom are too Iconic and will over power the FF as far as cool factor

Rocket River

robbie380 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

4 years ago I would’ve been excited for this, but now I just don’t care all that much about the MCU anymore

FF is supposed to save the MCU? I don’t think so

tinman and A_3PO like this.
  11. Xerobull

Sort of the same? I’m optimistic that they can hit it out of the park with this and the Avengers movies and turn the MCU around. NGL, the over-the-top trying to please every single demographic backfired. A massive part of the audience is ok with a woman hero. A woman hero who is a b**** and maybe a lesbian? Are they trans and battling inner demons and public acceptance? Come on. Just make fun movies. I don’t need all that angst and drama. There are other genres for that.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

FF are boring in the movies just like they were in the comic books back in the day. Their primary notoriety is being the launch point in 1961 for Marvel as we know it.

If done right, I agree SS and DD would easily outshine the FF in movies, but I don't have a problem with that. In fact, DD is an incredible character that could become the MCU's biggest draw after Tom Holland's final Spider-Man movie.

For DD or SS to become huge figures, Marvel must choose mature actors capable of carrying that heavy burden. Have they already already struck out with the SS selection?

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

not even looking forward to any Avengers movies because atp, I’d probably have to have seen a bunch of BS Disney+ shows and bad movies to understand what’s going on or know who’s who, and I don’t have the motivation to do all that

building up to Thanos was worth it, but Kang is done (I couldn’t take him seriously after losing to Ant-Man anyways), so now they gotta take time and credibly build up someone else

I remember when Captain Marvel was supposed to be the one who led the next group of Avengers, but she’s a dud…she’s no Iron Man or Captain America

even when they try to make a fun movie, it’s just goofy and basically “the mediocre comedy stylings of Marvel”…Thor is such a joke now I couldn’t even bring myself to watch his last movie

robbie380 likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SS is now female . . .. ole girls is a decent enough actress but I only seen her in Ozarks

Rocket River

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The biggest problem is that the MCU did not follow the MC
    Meaning

Avengers don't f*ck with Xmen who don't F*ck with FF that often (well back in the day)
    The reality is
    X-Men should have their own corner
    Avengers should have their own corner
    FF should have their own corner

These areas use to come together like once every 2~5 yrs. .. .
    IF the Avengers and all their affiliates ONLY cross over with themselves
    Same with the other sub sets. . .. I think the movies would be better
    THEN HAVE a big crossover event in like 10 yrs

Rocket River

robbie380 and tinman like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have always thought F4 was dumb. I've never seen any of their movies. Never read the comics when I was younger. Just a.... silly vibe.

BUT.

More recently (post-MCU) they've had arguably the best storyline and arguably the best character (Doom). Unlike the first time they made F4 movies, now there's meat on the bones to work with.

I also don't really care either way. Lulz.

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

It's not the actual original Silver Surfer but another character who was one. So perhaps an alternate universe or the original will appear down the road maybe. So we'll see what happens.

But I agree Silver and Doom are iconic, really I only care about Doom who is a much better and stronger villain than Thanos.

How Can the Silver Surfer Be a Woman? Fantastic Four's Shalla-Bal Explained

Technically, though, Marvel isn’t changing the character’s gender in this case, but rather which character becomes Silver Surfer. Traditionally, Silver Surfer’s origin depicts him as Norrin Radd, an inhabitant of the utopian world of Zenn-La. Zenn-La becomes the latest target of Galactus’ world-devouring hunger, and so Radd agrees to become Galactus’ herald in exchange for sparing Zenn-La and saving the life of his lover, Shalla-Bal.

[​IMG]
    ART BY ALEX ROSS. (IMAGE CREDIT: MARVEL)
    Garner isn’t playing Norrin Radd, but Shalla-Bal. In this version of the story, it seems she’s the one who makes the bargain with Galactus. It’s she who becomes doomed to seek out other worlds for her insatiable master to consume. We assume that means Norrin is the one forced to stay behind and lead Zenn-La in his lover’s absence.

However, it’s also possible that both characters become Silver Surfer. This is the case in one particular version of the Marvel Universe introduced in 1999’s Earth X. In that twisted future version of the Marvel U., Norrin bestows a portion of his power onto Shalla and the two serve as the twin heralds of Galactus (who in this universe is actually a hyper-evolved version of Mister Fantastic and Invisible Woman’s son, Franklin).

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol they’ve always seemed goofy to me and I never cared for them…I mean, one dude is literally just a bunch of rocks

but them being a part of the MCU has been hyped up for years…almost to the point where everything is riding on them

X-Men has always been my thing when it comes to Marvel

Rocket River, Invisible Fan and Ziggy like this.
  19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The best part of Fantastic Four is their villain, Doctor Doom. Other than the Joker he's the best villain ever created in comics. If I was in charge of the MCU, and I'm not, I'd focus every move for the next 5-8 years on the rise of Doom and various heroes trying to stop him. I would make it where he won. I wouldn't even focus on the FF, I'd give him his own backstory movie and the FF can be secondary. He's literal gold as a character and I hope they don't fumble.

#179 Supermac34, Apr 9, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2024
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They've never made a good live action Dr Doom

And with the record of the MCU now.... my bets are it's going to be Antman levels of goofy