1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McMahon thinks Sengun or Green could be traded "for a star"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 29, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He has risen.

BamBam and roslolian like this.
  2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is almost like people do not understand that you need more than 1 good player on a championship team.

Jalen and Sengun should be a great fit. If Jalen keeps playing like this. Then you have 2 offensive forces that both need double teams. That is te recipe for success in the NBA.

cmoak1982, invocux and roslolian like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'd trade Amen, Jalen and Sengun for Doncic. I will trade Amen and Jalen for either Ant or SGA. I will trade Jalen and Cam for JDub. I will trade Jalen, Cam and Jabari for Wemby.

And that's prob it.

invocux likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Lol what? Come on now, even you can't really believe that. Sengun is a decent rebounder, strong scorer (not remotely elite, or he'd actually have a resume of lots of big scoring games and he doesn't) and I'll give you the elite vision. Jalen's easily hit higher peaks than Sengun tbh, Alpi's a nice complementary swiss army knife piece though.

PatBev likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The thing about SGA.... are you sure 25 year old Jalen Green isn't better than SGA?

Like I think Green has the chance to be better than SGA. Obviously not guaranteed. It's a risk.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. invocux

invocux Member

I'd trade Jalen and Sengun for Doncic. Not for SGA or Ant. I think Sengun will be Ant caliber player when it's said and done. I don't like SGA in playoffs so i'd be very hesitant to trade him and/or Jalen. I think Sengun will thrive in the playoffs for 3 reasons: 1) Defenses are set in playoffs and we will need his post skills more than anything in close games. 2) He can sell fouls 3) He performs better under the spotlights.

7. invocux

invocux Member

Amen can't shoot and possibly will never even be a mediocre shooter in the long run. This alone makes it borderline impossible to build around him. You simply can't build your roster around a non-shooter. Especially not in the post gsw era. I don't even think he's our future PG because he doesn't have the handles for that. He's a playmaking small forward. After Fred's departure we 100% need a point guard and that's why i hope we draft that Topic, Collier or that Dillingham kid and ease him to the NBA next season.

We don't know if Jalen really took that leap. I don't think he did. He's improving don't get me wrong it's encouraging but i need to see a lot more than just Wizards, Bulls masterclasses from a guy to say he took a leap. People are forgetting but RJ Barrett had a lot of 30+ point games in his 3rd season. He had very good stretches that fooled Knicks fans into believing that he took the leap they've been waiting for a long time but he eventually got traded.

Little Bit likes this.
  8. Ancient Moabite

How did the past straight HS to NBA players look during their second seasons in the NBA?

Was KG an eyesore?

You don't have to act like you played the game before so you know about worst players

Were you one of those on your teams if you did play at some level? How much did you avg as a freshman/sophomore in HS or College?

Green was struggling with his shot making early part, but his other aspects were improving, and if your young SG is struggling making shots (3 level scorer) then you bench him with discipline and like Ime said he turned it around

But it was his mechanics that he fixed on his shot, that I called out earlier

And those same guys have been on the bench when Jalen has finished games

Its why its comical to hear those speak about his game and never compare him to his peers stats who came from HS, they will look silly when they do, but at least more accurate, but you know the ignorant hates the truth

Just look at Green POM run

He was an eyesore to now playing like best player in NBA right?

The Fluke strikes again...... This eve

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He might eventually be the best rebounder. But numbers don’t support it

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Literally nothing you say has any statistical backing.
    And no, the best game is by Alp. Since we’re talking about “peaks”
    Literally everyone outside of this forum knows Alp is the best player on this team, Jalen is on his way to being the second potential star

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Ancient Moabite

So you cherry picked two games to discredit his 30 game run of almost 25ppg on all star % splits?

You anti President club members keep shooting yourself in the foot

The only thing that didn't take the leap is your personal bball career and your bball evaluation, that you somehow tricked your bird brain into thinking you have never been wrong (a pure white lie)

Now go compare Green to the others who came straight out of HS not named Moses/Amare/LeBron and lets see the real trajectory and progress and not some outrageous expectations by non-playing fanatical maniacs on here who know nothing about ball other than doing some Skip B/B Simmons watching and talking

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Great to know that Amen will never be able to shoot and will never improve his handles (which aren’t as bad now as you say). Man, I bet that you are extremely rich given your penchant for predicting the future. By the way, Magic Johnson couldn’t shoot worth a flip from outside until later in his career.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think that is the case anymore. Thompson has played a lot of minutes at guard and as the season has progressed, has improved as a rebounder.

If I need a bucket in the post - I want Sengun, if I need an important rebound, I’ll take Thompson.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi and Amen have different strengths at different types of rebounds. Amen gets the ones where his pogo stick vertical jumping ability helps, but when he has to bang with big bodies in the post, they can move him enough out of position that he can't get there. That's where Alpi has an advantage. I don't care, AS LONG AS A ROCKET GETS THE REBOUND. Next year, we will have Steven Adams and Tari in the mix as well. And Bari is also still there.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I already posted the numbers. Amen is at 13.7% on a much smaller sample size which you know inflates statistics. Alp is at 13.9%
    You can have your preference, but numbers show Alp is a better rebounder currently. He’s also the leader on the team in box outs.

16. Ancient Moabite

See this is where they are putting you in the honeypot mix

The best game is by Alp

The best stretch is by JG4

Alpi was being compared to the top Centers during his run this year

Green has media pundits claiming he is doing it like the best player(s) in the game right now, calling him a rising star to superstar

Me being in player mode, I want both but if I had to choose I want the best player/superstar box, which is another tier when just discussing best Center chatter

But they both are real close because Jokic/Embiid are two of the best in NBA

With all the child bickering the Rockets should just trade both for Poole & Vuvecic/Looney and call it a day, then we'll see how patient they are with that incredible duo

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

AT should get the long rebounds as a guard/forward hybrid.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re right. Being drawn into a pointless conversation, a disingenuous one at that.
    I’m happy we have both guys, along with Amen and others.

19. invocux

invocux Member

Magic was playing hoops with Christ that's not the gotcha moment you think it is. Yes he will never be able to shoot because he's 21 years old and probably been working on to fix it with his twin since forever and they couldn't but sure he'll be a 37% shooter in 3 years he just needs to get in the lab am i right? He might as well find the cure for cancer too while he's in the lab. Handles will get better but just a little.

By the way just looked into Magic's 3pt percentages. He got drafted at 20 and became a good 3pt shooter in at 30. Amen you have 10 years to fix your shot kid. Take your time we can wait.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to predict - improvement isn’t linear, and that is especially true for Green. I think a lot of it will come down to shooting. If Green shows long term improvement as a s
    sample size can inflate or deflate numbers …. over the course of the season, Thompson has gotten better at rebounding AND Thompson has spend a good amount of time playing guard. So overall rates don’t tell the full story.

It isn’t a big deal - I think Sengun is a good rebounder too, I just think Thompson is better - mostly because of his physical skills.

fchowd0311 likes this.