1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. Let 'em ride

161 vote(s)
    65.4%
  1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...this feels like one of those drafts where future draft capital might actually get you higher in the draft because there are few rebuilding game changers out there for lotto teams so you are playing odds because the player tiers are somewhat skewered towards relatively low ceiling players.

That's not to say there aren't good players to be had but if I'm a team like Portland, Utah, Washington, Detroit, etc - I'm not necessarily seeing anyone out there that is going to expedite our rebuild so maybe I'm willing to jump back a few slots and take a flyer on a project(think guys like young Giannis) for a future draft pick knowing that even if I nail the #5 pick, what does this really good role player do for my rebuild if I'm Washington? Houston is going to get far more use out of a solid future role player(especially someone who brings defense and shooting to our roster) than some of these other teams...so I think if I'm the Rockets and you think Reed Shephard is your guy - I would at least kick the tires on what it would take to move up to grab them.

The reality is, Houston is going to be in some strange cap space/roster places if they continue to have multiple first round picks once they start signing guys like Tari, Jabari, Cam, and Amen AFTER they have signed Jalen and Alpi. At the moment we have two '25 first rounders and two '27 first rounders in addition to firsts in the other drafts as well. You can always trade these away, but my point is now that Houston is moving out of "best available" draft strategy, this is the time to start using those picks judiciously to construct a functional roster of the right kinds of role players when the value is there.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

What about trading back with OKC to get our first round back and a future 1st from their stash?

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I overestimated the Jazz's ability to win a game much less 2.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm just not sure about that. The last time we had this kind of draft, the #1 pick was Anthony Bennett - who was a gigantic bust. The #13 pick was Giannis Antetekounmpo. There are gems in every draft.

Mathloom, cbass, roslolian and 7 others like this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, we're going to capitalize on this opportunity. Whether it's #9, moving up in in the Lottery, trading up, or getting dealt for a stud ..our Rockets are going to end up with a helluva player. We're not shuffling papers...or picking up some role player....

roslolian likes this.
  6. fattz

fattz Member

If our pick currently owned by OKC hit in the lottery, it would become our pick again because of the 1-4 protection. Right? Really asking because we may have 2 picks coming our way again.

Williamson likes this.
  7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I see a ton of players around number eight or nine that I would love to add.

that being said, with how everything has looked up the last few weeks, I am falling in a little bit with @Aruba77 on using it for a vet upgrade. I don’t know if Jeff Green is back or what he even has left in the tank for next year, so maybe trying to get a player that is a little bit like that. A pf/c that can athletically attack. Not sure of a target though. It has to be a guy content to come off bench.

Draft wise…. Williams/Sheppard/Filipowski/Topic/Salaun/Clingnan all guys I like.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree there are finds in any draft, just not excited about the guys in this draft. Assuming there isn’t a deal worth making, and assuming the best prospects are off the board by #9, a guy like Salaun, high upside who we might be able to stash overseas for another year, might be the best option. But I’d rather use this pick to take another big swing at something meaningful; either as part of a trade for a player or to move up to draft a guy we are in love with.

Bo6 and Williamson like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes, but it's very unlikely.

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So if the pick lands at #9 im hoping one of these 7 guys is available.

Sarr
    Risacher
    Topic
    Shepard
    Clingan
    Kenecht
    Salaun

Scared to pick either of the G-league ignight guys; they can’t shoot. I could be talked into Dillingham. I get that Castle is good at everything except shooting, but do we really need another one of those guys? Cody Williams could be a good long-term project, but he’s pretty raw. Really don’t like this draft.

#912 Aruba77, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    saleem likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

There's lots of wings players with star upside in this draft. risacher, Cody Williams, Matas Buzelis, Ron Halland, Tipjane Salaun, Stephon Castle among others.

Theres also intriguing bigs like Tyron Hill, Kalel Ware, Donovan Clingan, Kyle Filipowski etc

The fact that there is a lot of uncertainty and the draft is seen as weak means a good prospect gets overlooked and drops down. In 2020 draft which had busts galore in the lotto Haliburton dropped to 12 and Maxey dropped to 21.

Shark44 likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This draft is such a crap shoot but Stone's team has drafted well overall. I have to think you just take best player available no matter the positional fit for this team.

Mathloom and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is the guy I want the Rockets to get. I seriously doubt he falls to #9 once the microscope is put on all players.

Think of a taller, better shooting version of his older brother Jalen Williams. He probably won't hit the ground running as fast since he's only playing one year of college ball. Very smart guy who understands basketball and isn't fueled by selfishness and ego.

He'll get pushed around a lot his first couple of years because his body needs a lot of work.

sirjesse and kpdark like this.
  16. kpdark

kpdark Member

I like him too...it's good for Bari to have someone to compete with ;)

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rockets are stacked to the brim with talent and elite vets like FVV and Dillon Brooks are in danger of losing their starting positions and you think rookie role players are gonna make an impact on the team?

A rookie role player ain't beating out Amen, Cam, Tari Eason, Jock Landale and Unc Green for playing time. If we use the pick to get a role player that dude will just be a wasted lotto pick and will rarely see the court like Nate Hinton or Aaron Holiday. I'd rather get someone with high upside like Tipjane Salaun, Ron Holland or Matas Buzelis cuz that dude can chill and develop in the GLeague until we free up personnel.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Pick for size or 3 pt shooting. Don’t overthink it

BaselineFade and Dobbizzle like this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

#9 in this draft feels like a second round pick lol.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Would love to snag a 3pt combo guard good enough to be a future 6th man

Cam, Tari, Adams, and probably Brooks off the bench next year. Draft a future 6th man or trade for the best combo guard we can to come off the bench next year

BaselineFade likes this.