1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yall thought he was gonna average 20?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Close to 20, 20 Technicals.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Stealing money. He was basically game 7 Ariza tonight.

4. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

The beginning of the year, he was shooting the best in the league percentage wise from 3... now he is one of the worst 3 point shooters

napalm06 likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Here he's just a target. Refs target him more than Draymond

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He was absolutely ****ing terrible tonight.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Who knew regression to the mean was this stubborn of a rule?

Easy and DaDakota like this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If we are gonna play with the legit contenders next year, we are going to have to get a legit starter at small forward. Dillon is a fine backup, but not good enough to start on a contender. Overrated defensively, as he bodies up the good players which results typically in fouls. Just a bit to slow and clunky to handle the great players like LeBron and Luca. Sad that our rookie was the only one who could stop Luca tonight. We paid Dillon 28 million to do that.

napalm06, Sonicbun8 and saleem like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm thinking Tari will be the guy to replace Dillon in the starting lineup next season if he can stay healthy.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

If he can consistently hit the open 3, he definitely doesn't do enough anywhere else to let him be on the floor.

Dillon's starting spot is going to be under serious scrutiny next season when he has to be battle with Tari and Amen.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

Brooks is fine. He is who he is, a great role player. Coach coached last night game and let Brooks get abused. With a full health roster maybe things look different. I hope coach can tweak his game plans within the game, too. Maybe coach let this one get away to knock off some of the pressure of the winning streak and get the attention of his players.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Dillon was basically shooting 40% from 3 the 1st half of the season, but he’ll end up shooting around 35% over the full season because he’s been shooting poorly the last few months. That’s league average for small forwards, and that’s his best shooting in the last 4 seasons. People keep saying he’s one of our best shooters, but the reality is that he’s an average shooter who plays great defense but also turns the ball over too much. If Tari is healthy, I’m confident he can fill Dillon’s role. Dillon will eventually need to come off the bench or be moved.

#132 Aruba77, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    Bo6 likes this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

First 28 games : 40.6% from 3

Last 37 games since returning from injury : 32.0% from 3

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think his defense is probably enough of a contribution outside of shooting. He can get beat by shiftier players because he’s not the quickest but he’s definitely been able to impose on a lot of players too. And his FU mentality has been exactly what a team of young guys needed.

I dont think I agree with the first statement, however, I do agree that Tari and Amen will be competing for that spot. Both will need to take a step forward on offense to earn it though.

Amen is so versatile but that may also become a hindrance to his development. If they sustain injury and he’s the best option at a forward spot then you put him there and put off his guard skills again. The cookie crumbled that way this season but I really do intend to see him get a real shot at being the primary handler on offense. No disrespect to FVV, but his role here is to bridge us to a young guy taking over.

pmac likes this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, I might go as far as to say his toughness and hustle influence on the Rockets culture is his biggest contribution. Bigger than his actual on court impact.

I'm not sure we see the improvement from Jalen on defense without Brooks being there.

But, I would still look to trade him. He's not a guy you can rely on offensively. He's a guy you should sit for long stretches if his shot isn't falling. I just don't know if you feel comfortable doing that at his salary.

But, if I were to guess, odds are the Rockets will keep him and start him at least from now to the beginning of next season. Ime will probably lobby hard to keep him.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's funny this thread exist given that Brooks has both dramatically cut down on his shooting volume and dramatically increased his efficiency. There's nothing wrong with him, and in fact the Rockets just got the best season of his career. People just need to realize $20mil/yr isn't what it used to be in the NBA.

fattz, 13 in 33 and SamFisher like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Threads exist even for better players than Brooks, I am not seeing why he should not be discussed in that way.

The catch is the length of that contract rather than 20 million (obviously it is slightly more than 20, 23 or sth)

#137 daywalker02, Apr 1, 2024
    Imanimal likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly. $20 million is average starter money now. It's also very tradable because it doesn't destroy your cap sheet.

meh and 13 in 33 like this.
  19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't see what players better than him or worse than him means anything to this thread title. This is like going to McDonalds and wondering what happened to their Big Mac. I mean it's the same thing as from 5 years ago. The price doubled because inflation, but nothing happened to it. And in Dillon Brook's case, it's actually a superior product, but he's still getting paid way more than you remembered of salaries from 5 years ago because salary cap has gone way up since then.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Most people conveniently mentions his 20 million when they dislike the way he regresses to the mean when his efficiency goes down.....

They talk about the money but in their minds they just want to say that he sucked in some of the games.

But here we are circle jerking about 20 million that people say they have a problem with.....that is clearly not the real Elephant in the Room.

• And it becomes a problem when he becomes a bench player because that is 23 million on the bench....
    • Hereby thanking him for his service when his usefulness would expire in the near future.

#140 daywalker02, Apr 1, 2024