1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Jon Singleton on this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 31, 2024.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I don't get why he is on this roster outside of playing 1st base and being backup to Abreu.

I'm pretty sure we have someone in the minors that can easily do better than the crap job he's been doing.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think I can count on three fingers his contribution:

1.) Hit two dingers in a regular season game once upon a time. None since that I can recall.
    2.) Drew a walk at a critical moment in a playoff game.
    3.) Can draw walks if he doesn't swing and puffs out his chest.

TexasTofu likes this.
  3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wrong thread

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Because the upper tiers of the farm are so depleted.

5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Let Loperfido get 10-15 games at 1B under his belt, I bet they’ll make the change then.

Uprising likes this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Fully agree

If we DFA’d Singleton there isn’t a single team in mlb that would pick him up

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He had a solid hit today.

Radricky likes this.
  8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I know they said he'll get 1b starts but the 1st 2 games he played was in CF. They need to kick Cabbage out of the 1b spot and let Loperfido get comfortable playing 1b

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I was rooting for Jon, but don't think he has the talent to stay in the league. He looks the part, but just can't perform.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He probably needs to play some CF and some 1B

It's not like we are settled in without doubts in CF either. I'm rooting for Jake, but if he doesn't prove to be capable we are much better off with Dubon in a utility role than him playing every day in CF.

Tiny sample size but Pedro is off to a good start at Sugarland also, if both him and Loperfido prove to be ready that would be huge

Mr.Pringles and punkoholic like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He has compromising pictures of Altuve during from the 2012 minor league season.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Singleton is in a role that is very difficult to have success in. 12th position player who mostly only plays in high pressure situations as a pinch hitter against the other teams’ good RP. He will also play in trash time against crummy RP and as the backup at 1B every 6th-7th game, but people won’t remember those times nearly as much. Singleton’s value won’t be known for a long time as the season may be 50-60 games in before he has any meaningful sample size.

#12 Snake Diggit, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He’s just not an MLB player. Like Whitely. Let it go.

ROCKSS and RKREBORN like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s probably not a “good” everyday mlb player. But he’s proven to be an extremely good hitter in AAA over the last 2 seasons. The distance between an elite AAA hitter and a “good” 12th position player on a contending team is not very far. His slash line will vary greatly because of his sporadic playing time. But his projections as a league-average bat over the long haul are probably reasonable. I actually think that when Houston struggles, Singleton will likely struggle because he will be playing mostly as a pinch hitter in single pa’s against high leverage relievers, but when Houston is having success, he will be successful, because then his time will come against worn out relievers.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He struggles because he’s never been able to hit MLB pitching.

There are more AAA players who probably deserve a shot at being a 12th man vs. Singleton. He’s had chances. He’s been with other teams. The Astros promoted him TEN years ago… and that was largely because he was willing to bet against himself and was the only one who signed one of those Luhnow ‘sign to get promoted’ deals.

There isn’t any ‘potential’. He’s 32 years old and never hit MLB pitching. You projecting specific situations when he’ll be successful? What are you basing this on???!?

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And by no means are the multiple posts in this thread (or the thread’s existence at all) are an indictment that the bad start is all his fault. Obviously it’s not.

But this BBS tends to obsess over the worst hitter in the lineup and will cast all blame (offense and defense) on said player, without fail…. I do hope Singleton thrives in this role, but he’s not an MLB player.

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Meh. I mean, he probably doesn't belong on this roster long term, but he's a pretty minor issue with what is wrong with this team at the moment.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

When Houston is in uncontested games, Singleton will get at bats, and those at bats will come against the other teams mop up RP, who are the same guys he destroyed in AAA.

19. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I come into any discussion about Singleton predisposed by what Houston went through with him as a minor leaguer. He stupidly threw away the greatest opportunity he could ever have hoped for to smoke a little weed. Knowing full well what the consequences would be. Probably oblivious to the Astros investment in him but that too was stupidly wasted and for that I have never forgiven him. I am insulted by his presence on the team. He can not be released soon enough to suit me.

Stephen66 and everyday eddie like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So your plan to somehow make a AAAA player seem valuable… is to have him face AAAA pitching. Got it.