1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen > Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Mar 30, 2024.

1. StroudAndYorDaddy

jaylen brown is also a better athlete than luka doncic, at the end of the day skill will keep you in the league when your athleticism fades, it’s why athletic guards historically have short primes/careers

also i know this is a different sport and these players play different positions but i feel cj stroud IF HE STAYS HEALTHY will go down as the greatest houston texans player ever eclipsing jj watt

2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

Rockets should sue Jalen Green for not bringing his game to court for the last 3 years. we all knew he was capable. why did he not give his A effort? that is one thing front office should ask his march madness acts.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen Green is definitely more skilled than a player like Brown in terms of things like a handle and even court vision. Remember Brown at Green's age was the type of dude who averaged more turnovers than assists.

Green in terms of skill is somewhere between a Brown type player and Harden/Luka type

4. StroudAndYorDaddy

you think it’s easy to put up harden stats and also win 50 games a szn. yes plenty of players can average what harden averaged if they take enough shots but the object is to win the game. and not many players in league history were able to win like harden with a usage rate that high… not kobe, russ, luka.. it’s rare

bradley beal in washington put up numbers similar to harden but didn’t make the playoffs

look at luka last szn had an atg szn and missed the playoffs

steph curry from 2021 was dominant and missed the playoffs

what harden did for years in houston is not normal which is why harden is closing on kobe in career vorp despite not playing anywhere close to amount of games kobe did when kobe was in his 15th szn

5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Perfectly put it. Im literally tired of harden not trying hard.

Salvy likes this.
  6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Jalen is much more enjoyable to watch for sure

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Not only that but the reason why Harden scored so much in Houston was because of ref baiting, dude would get sooo many free throws that just weren't there in the playoffs.... This is what I love about Green, no gimmicks... No step back travel, no ref baiting and flopping.... Green is out there to play ball period, because Green does not rely on gimmicks and tricks is why Green is likely to be way better than bum Harden in the playoffs..... Every year its the same with Harden....

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Also to showcase some of Jalen's improvements and I agree with some differences from Harden people mentioned that are better IMO. I like he's playing within the flow of the offense rather than pure iso ball/dribbling, engaged defensively and his playmaking is improving as well as him now taking over games for wins.

Harden was a very good, but not freak athlete like Jalen so he had to dibble and use craftiness to create separation more often. Jalen can do that but also just smoke defenders with change of speed, attacking defensive reactions, and a few dribbles/screens.

And a side note, I think Fred Vanvleet is a perfect vet for him to learn passing/playmaking with low turnovers from, and Brooks/Amen are great examples to learn wing defense from as teammates.

9. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Jalen, in the month of March, has averaged 29 a game.

James Harden had a six week stretch in 2018-19 where he averaged 40 points per game.

God willing, this thread will merely be pre-mature instead of silly.

jordnnnn likes this.
  10. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I like it. Hot take or not but if Green does this in a playoffs he's automatically better than Frauden.

11. Ancient Moabite

I don't get why others are trying to compare a 8 yr primed career vs 2+ yrs of a baby finding his way

Harden got drafted in like 2009, so that was his ninth season

At 22 what was Harden best month? That is a more fair comparison

But right now Green is showcasing more consistency, he always had the ability and flashed it enough times

I enjoy watching both showcase their skill, and the only comparison is both are shooting guards, they move and play diff, besides their stepback three

Tuckmose likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  13. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Fair, but if you want Harden's age 22 season, that's his third year. He averaged 17 a game in only 31 minutes shooting 49/39/85 and lead the league in True Shooting % on his way to 6MOTY. All this with a WS/48 of .230 and a BPM of +4.3.

To this day, Harden and Curry are the only players to lead the league in scoring and TS% (with Curry doing it in the same season).

Harden's age 21 season, which was his 2nd season as opposed to Jalen's 3rd, is much less impressive.

I do agree that Jalen's month of March is the best we've seen from a young Rockets guard in over a decade.

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden definitely was a more advanced player at that age. His strength and "basketball IQ" were much higher.

Honestly Jalen is a victim of bad coaching. It's getting corrected though and hopefully that previous bad coaching only stunted his leap by only a season with Ime fixing it. It looks like it might be the case hopefully. Fingers crossed but still a lot of replicataible things since the ASB.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It’s just as weird as claiming Jalen is already better than Harden when Jalen has yet to do anything that even approaches what Harden has done in his top 30ish all time career.

Even if you truly believe that Jalen has what it takes to be better than Harden, he still has to actually do it first. Believing he is capable and it actually happening are two very different things. These past 10-15 games have been absolutely electric. Crazy. Exciting. So ****ing fun to watch. But it’s barely even scratching the surface of the totality of what Harden did in Houston.

16. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Harden to me is just a lazy high scoring choker...nothing more. He can have 100ppg and I still think Jalen is better because he isn't lazy and isn't a cry baby when the game counts.

17. StroudAndYorDaddy

i’d argue great players can make bad coaches look better than they are.. see harden/mchale

fact is jg4 just wasn’t getting it done

18. Ancient Moabite

And that what separates them

Harden was doing it with OKC and young dominant studs reaching Finals in his 3rd season

Green just got the taste of what it feels like to possibly win 40 games + play-in

Two vastly situations but since they are said SGs, they will be compared somehow .... Especially by Rockets nation

19. Ancient Moabite

You are just ranting and not comprehending, have you ever played the game on any level?

You can't compare a 8 yr prime (MVP finalist like 4x) to a young pup finishing up 3rd year

Its comical

Get out your feelings, nobody over here is propping up Green over Harden when comparing their Rockets career

And you singling out my words won't change what I was actually saying to fit your Harden narrative that you just created and threw it out there to see if it sticks

But it did a humpty dumpty.........you know the rest

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Oh we talking about playoffs now? What’s Jalen’s playoff stories? I’m waiting.