1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Out of the all the Covid year eligibilities, I can tell this for sure the most unlikely person to come back is Shead. His draft stock doesn’t get any higher than what it is now especially with one of the weakest drafts in recent years. Hes without a doubt one of the top players in this class no question. His time is now and the program understands that. Everyone said their goodbyes to him and let their emotions out because they know that was the last time they’ll will go to battle as collegiate athletes together.

This was a great year. A ton of adversity thrown at them and first year in the B12. Still hurts this morning but injuries are the shitt part of the game. What if’s are a b****h.

UH isn’t going anywhere. You can be sure a very good team will take the court next year.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

It was a GREAT year! First yr in B12 and winning the regular season title was major.

I saw where they are in on a 4 Star PG from the Univ of Florida, if Tuggler can improve his offensive game, and Lath can take another step, along with Arcineaux's return. I think they will be good.

Plus with the incoming class. I think they can make another run.

Madmanmetz and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was painful.

Ug.

4. HeyBudLetsParty

Just read Shead makes around 500k in NIL, you think if they bump it up to around a million it would be more enticing than end of second round or G League. Hope he has success in the NBA and think he could grind it out and be a rotation player, but he may get a better deal staying in school.

5. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Still processing, such a devastating loss in so many ways.
    • The team looked so dominating and then so broken after Shead went down; probably knowing that even if they survived against Duke, title aspirations were gone.
    • Unlike other Rockets, Texans, Oilers, Astros, whatever sports disappointments, I don't feel like anything else could have been done to change the outcome. No coaching adjustments, bad decisions or bad plays, this team maximized what it could do for 40 minutes.
    • Duke played well, no doubt. However, anyone who says that they still would have won if Shead had been on the floor in the 2nd half is just wrong. I don't think I have seen a single player mean more to a team in all facets.
    The CKS era has been amazing and I hope its the beginning of a Duke/NC/Kansas-level ascendance.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is the sliver of hope I am holding onto... That Shead and Roberts get some amazing NIL deals and we run it back.

We need a PG so badly and I am not a fan of the transfer route. Kelvin does his best work in the portal when he recruits raw scoring talent and then makes them halfway decent defenders/rebounders.

Chances we can replace Jamal next year are basically zero. If he can find a kid who is half the player Shead is it will be his best work yet.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  7. HeyBudLetsParty

You won’t replace him but it’s easy to forget the amazing guard play of the years from Rob Gray, Jerroeu, Sasser, Shead. I hope it’s a more versatile offense next year that won’t have to be so Shead centric to flow, and the defense stays elite.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I feel like this is just the way it is.

Sampson's offense will always be put together with bailing twine and bubble gum.

You can only be elite in so many facets of the game.

I just wish we had more pure ball handlers. Next year we are going to bully the **** out of people in the paint but the offense will be a mess without a competent facilitator.

9. Aware

Aware Member

I would love to have Jamal and Jwan back but i think one of the best thing about this program is how the next man up always gets his shot. Might not be the case now since there is no starting caliber pg on the roster right now, but i am confident we will be competitive next season.

GOATuve likes this.
  10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Obviously selfishly I'd love for Shead to come back but you're spot on about the draft. His stock won't get any better than right now and after all he did for the program he deserves to maximize his his pro prospects.

We will be there again. Great season

hlmbasketball likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

LJ posted on his IG that UH has been his favorite team he’s ever been a part of. This dude came from Baylor and won a natty. Let that sink in

#9411 YOLO, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

UH is a special program under KS. I know Sampson recruits different but these kids saying these things really helps

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Cryer will come back

Wade Taylor will transfer in

TA will be healthy…as will JoJo

Malik will leave to get PT that he can’t get at UH.

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

there's no way Wade Taylor is transferring to here lol

if he does, he needs to have a better shot selection. also, having wade and cryer at the same time is a little redundant no?

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just telling what I’m hearing…also adding another scorer to UH doesn’t feel redundant. It feels needed. Especially losing Shead and Roberts

DonnyMost likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's just so crazy it might work.

Two point hybrids that are both scoring threats. I can see it.

MadMax likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's not like we have an over abundance of shooters and slashers or guys who want to control the ball.

Taylor can get to the bucket. We need that badly.

MadMax likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Zero surprise Duke lost. The fact they struggled to beat a heavily wounded Coogs squad exposed their lack of prowess.

It also reinforces the sentiment they would've lost had Shead not gotten injured because they lost handily the very next round.

MadMax likes this.
  19. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He committed to Kansas.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i saw that.

KS and Co. will be prioritizing the transfer portal for a pg for next year. Outside of Dunn it's been pretty good for UH, so hopefully one shakes loose that they really want and fits

Houston Native likes this.