1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I believe good karma will come & posters who TOLD YOU Jalen Green is a superstar & best player on this team will prove himself. Wait, too late!

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I hope Jalen becomes a superstar, that would be great for the Rockets.

He still wouldn't be the best player on the team.

cml750 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

People always say that about star duos when they’re young. Kobe/Shaq. Tatum/Brown. It just takes time. Fred is exceptionally experienced at PnR so we’re comparing to someone who executes them at an elite level. Great to have Jalen watching that every practice every game.

When both Green and Sengun are shooting poorly it can’t work so we have to be patient with both of them working on their jumpers. That’s how Green can slow down for Sengun and Sengun can run with Green. That’s how they can force the defense to make difficult choices in the PnR. They have great chemistry, their games will catch up and I predict that PnR will be deadly in the NBA when they’re both slightly better 3PT shooters.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Mental gymnastics.

if green becomes a superstar he will b the best player on the team period. Sengun is great this season and has yet to even reach superstar status himself. Quite absurd that u have the stance superstar green < sengun.

There's only so much u can glaze sengun. Anybody who becomes a superstar is basically top dog/best one on the team.

if both reach superstar status then it would b debatable who is best on the team.

#864 DatRocketFan, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The trajectory of improvement of each player from season to season is an indication.

But according to Clutch and others, FVV is the best player on the team.

So Jalen would have to clear that hurdle.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If Jalen becomes a superstar he is top dog. I have yet to seen anybody argue or take the stance aside from u that a superstar on a team isn't even the best player on the squad.

The scenario u are talking right now Jalen green isn't even a superstar yet so it doesn't really matter if folks are proclaiming fvv as the best player.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do you consider Jamal Murray a superstar?
    Did you consider Kobe Bryant a superstar when he played with Shaq?

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If Jalen is a superstar and there is no other superstar on the team he is the best player on the team. If sengun or anybody else reach superstar status then It would b debatable who is the best on the team.

I have yet to see anybody given the title superstar by everybody not be the best player on the team without any other superstars on it.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol ok

I know you're not the sharpest tool in the shed, but...lol

cml750 likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm not the one saying if green becomes a superstar he isn't even the best player on his team.

I'm quite sure when u brought up Kobe and Murray playing alongside Shaq and jokic, in your hypothetical scenario where green becomes a superstar, u implied sengun does also to glaze him up as a sengunatic.

Still my stance was its quite up for debate who is the best player on the team if we have two superstars on the team. And that's me assuming that's what u are implying when u say green becomes a superstar.

#870 DatRocketFan, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Watching a bunch of sub 10 foot shots and hustle just isn’t as exciting as a 3 level scoring machine with a highlight package that leaves you dumbfounded.

Efficiency always beats inefficiency, but when both styles are efficient it’s no contest which one is more dynamic and impactful at determining outcomes in the modern NBA.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yeah... They're better without him.

:rolleyes:

Y2JT, cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I watched the video and just like I keep saying, we need to start being more OBJECTIVE and decide whats best for the TEAM!

If you LOOK at the video, 90% of it is PNR between Sengun and FVV. No one else was getting involved. And as we can clearly see now, Amen, Cam, Jabari and, yes of course Jalen all play a different style. They play best when they are out running but they can settle into a half court game at the end, if needed.

Alpi, as we saw in your video is best utilized, so far, around the rim. That's where he shines the most.

So, how can Ime make it work for everybody? Thats a question he has to address this off season and next yr. Yeah, they were 4-1 before Alpi went down but was Jalen's talents really shinning at that point? Or were Amen's? Jabari's?

To me, I look at the Warriors. They have made it work w/o a dominant center or should I say, not so much scoring from the center position. They have focused on the wing players; Iguodala, Curry, KD, Thompson, which is today's NBA.

Denver makes it work with Jokic but he is just as effective from outside, as he is inside. Can Sengun become that player??

DaDakota and Y2JT like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You must have been still asleep when you posted this.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sengun is too skilled and versatile on the offensive end for me to buy that he's the impediment to Jalen Green also being very good on that end. If Green is going to disappear or be trash when Sengun is on the court, that's on him. But it shouldn't have to be that way.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im not just focused on Jalen. Its about Jabari, Cam, Tari, Amen and others too. Which style of play is best for EVERYBODY and not just one?

Is what we saw in that video, the PNR w/Sengun and FVV and an occasional pass to a teammate, good for EVERYBODY? Ime has to decide

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He's speaking from the heart.

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

90% pnr with VV...?

Did you watch the video?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I guess you would have preferred Isiah Rider to Hakeem.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Yes AND Yes.

And my point has always been and will always remain, what is best for the TEAM.

Why do you think when Jalen said before the ASB, that the reason for his slump was because, the team was playing a SLOW DOWN style of ball, that EVERYBODY wasn't being involved.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...sQFnoECCwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2lsfoe4ApmlhAZdExeVihI

Its no coincidence that they took off once they began to play faster. My only question has been, can Jalen and Sengun co-exist together playing this style? Does it benefit both players?