1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Louis Gossett Jr., 1st Black man to win supporting actor Oscar, dies at 87

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Mar 29, 2024.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    BY BETH HARRIS
    Updated 7:56 AM CDT, March 29, 2024

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Louis Gossett Jr., the first Black man to win a supporting actor Oscar and an Emmy winner for his role in the seminal TV miniseries “Roots,” has died. He was 87.

Gossett’s nephew told The Associated Press that the actor died Thursday night in Santa Monica, California. No cause of death was revealed.

Gossett always thought of his early career as a reverse Cinderella story, with success finding him from an early age and propelling him forward, toward his Academy Award for “An Officer and a Gentleman.”

He earned his first acting credit in his Brooklyn high school’s production of “You Can’t Take It with You” while he was sidelined from the basketball team with an injury.

“I was hooked — and so was my audience,” he wrote in his 2010 memoir “An Actor and a Gentleman.”

His English teacher urged him to go into Manhattan to try out for “Take a Giant Step.” He got the part and made his Broadway debut in 1953 at age 16.

“I knew too little to be nervous,” Gossett wrote. “In retrospect, I should have been scared to death as I walked onto that stage, but I wasn’t.”

Gossett attended New York University on a basketball and drama scholarship. He was soon acting and singing on TV shows hosted by David Susskind, Ed Sullivan, Red Buttons, Merv Griffin, Jack Paar and Steve Allen.

Gossett became friendly with James Dean and studied acting with Marilyn Monroe, Martin Landau and Steve McQueen at an offshoot of the Actors Studio taught by Frank Silvera.

In 1959, Gossett received critical acclaim for his role in the Broadway production of “A Raisin in the Sun” along with Sidney Poitier, Ruby Dee and Diana Sands.

He went on to become a star on Broadway, replacing Billy Daniels in “Golden Boy” with Sammy Davis Jr. in 1964.

Gossett went to Hollywood for the first time in 1961 to make the film version of “A Raisin in the Sun.” He had bitter memories of that trip, staying in a cockroach-infested motel that was one of the few places to allow Black people.

https://apnews.com/article/louis-gossett-jr-dies-1e86e1441ec8b614a282f3de22490a07

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

is he from that old richard gere movie as a drill sargent?

3. Buck Turgidson

Iron Eagle

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#4 Blatz, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    ROCKSS and The Real Shady like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

7. VanityHalfBlack

That’s my guy man!! RIP brotha, two legends in heaven

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Underrated Sci-Fi flick....

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

RIP

nice body of work.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Rest in Peace, Enemy Mine, Iron Eagle, Roots. Enjoyed his films and work

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Fine Actor

Rocket River

FrontRunner likes this.
  12. Brad

Brad Member

yes. officer and a gentleman

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bro was in everything in the 80s and 90s. RIP

GRENDEL and ROCKSS like this.
  14. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Dam, Officer and a Gentleman and Roots were my 2 favs.....................RIP big man