1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Jay713

Jay713 Member

CJ Stroud?

red5rocket and cbass like this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm Ron Burgundy?

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Who cares? F the Colts!

UTSA2step, Two Sandwiches and Fulgore like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He alludes to reason why in his intro presser. He basically said the timing was just right. He happened to be at home when the Texans played the Browns in the playoffs so he came and checked out the game. The draw of getting to play in front of his home crowd, with his family nearby, and for a team that's a legit contender was too hard to pass up. He also said he really wanted to give back to his high school and community, and the chance to be at home to do that meant a lot to him.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#5247 zeeshan2, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

So he and Simmons at "non-peak" age are asking for more than teams are willing to give, right? He's another H-Town dude, so maybe he can take a vet minimum style contract to come back home....

[​IMG]

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Re-structuring Howard’s contract is a no-go for me. They need to draft his replacement as soon as possible. He is an over-paid RT only (he sucks at guard) and is oft-injured. His extension was a panic ill-advised move.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. conquistador#11

A look back at Free Agency:

Nick to Hannah: "We're all in on Barkley and Wilkins. Barkley has given us his word. Have to work out the details.

Barkley calls Nick: "Ey yo, I'm staying close to home. West Philadelphia born and Raised. On the playground is where I spent most of my days."

Nick calls Hannah back : "We just lost Barkley."

Hannah to Nick: "Oakland just bought the Dior store and the mall."

Nick to Hannah: "Can't disappoint Meco. I'm working on a trade with the 49ers, Collins for Armstead. It's a done deal. Hold on. Minnesota number I don't recognize is blowing up my cellie. Call you right back."

Hunter: " I want to be a Texan and I'm willing to take a discount. Love Coleridge's dance too much. Just guarantee me I can be a part of his touchdown celebrations. "

Nick to himself: "FML. What do I do now? I can't sink the 49ers trade. I might need a favor from them later."

Baby Shanahan sends text: " I got you like that Kyle Tucker kid. Send us Collins we send you a 7th."

Nick to Hannah: " We just landed Danielle Hunter!!!"

Dramatic interpretation

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

13. Qan

Qan Member

Guys...what's up with all these random twitter posts. I just wanna know if the Texans sign a DB yet.... mainly safety

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Somehow I think some of the 9 CBs can cover Safety if needed.

don grahamleone and sydmill like this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He thought Houston would OVERpay him. Caserio said we are not a cash machine.

Jokes on him. Now he has to live in Philadelphia and he'll wind up with less money in his pocket after taxes and COL.

don grahamleone and UTSA2step like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is his fourth one year contract with the Texans. A few players have worked this way.
    2021 $1.7M
    2022 $1.95M
    2023 $1.7M
    2024 ?

Fewer snaps every season, but he continues being asked back. Only 3 snaps last season.

17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. CB STEVEN NELSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
    Nelson was a great fit for the Houston Texans in back-to-back seasons despite a defensive shift from Lovie Smith to DeMeco Ryans. He has logged a healthy dose of snaps in so many different coverage schemes dating back to his days with the Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs. The ever-consistent Nelson played 950-plus snaps for the sixth consecutive season in 2023, best suited in off coverage with great lateral agility and the instincts to click and close still popping up on tape in coverage and run support.

Best landing spot: Denver Broncos

11. DI TEAIR TART, HOUSTON TEXANS
    Tart had a very strange and tumultuous 2023 season with the Titans after the two sides were unable to come to terms on an extension before the year. Tart played on the second-round restricted free-agent tender for $4.3 million, but his effort and focus were questioned at times by the coaching staff before he was ultimately waived ahead of Week 15. The Houston Texans claimed Tart, with two other teams also putting in claims, so clearly the concerns weren't so bad as to scare off suitors. On the field, Tart is difficult to displace with just one blocker in the run game, and he has solid juice as a pass rusher. He makes a great member of a platoon as a zero- or one-technique who can push a pocket or knife through double teams, and he shows good recognition as to when to get his hands up for a batted pass.

Best landing spot: Cincinnati Bengals

13. CB ADOREE' JACKSON, NEW YORK GIANTS
    Jackson cross-trained this offseason for a move to a full-time slot role but ended up moving back out wide after just two games. The first half of the Giants' season featured an aggressive defense that ranked second in blitz rate but still couldn't get home on the quarterback with any consistency, regularly leaving their cornerbacks on islands with extremely difficult assignments. Wink Martindale's unit turned a corner over the second half of the year, and Jackson looked improved once returning from injury. Injuries have limited him in four of the past five seasons, but he has true inside-outside versatility with good lateral agility and a knack for making plays on the football, often laying out for acrobatic pass breakups after goading quarterbacks into the occasional throw into his coverage area.

Best landing spot: Houston Texans

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

UTSA2step and raining threes like this.
  19. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I call BS on that.
    If he was so interested in coming to Houston, why are the Eagles dealing with potential penalties for illegal tampering?

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member