1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Here

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ugh....I was so high on him in the draft and it's been a rough year for him since to say the least. I even found myself in Portland the other day and caught a Blazers game right behind their bench and frankly, he wasn't very good then(when Brunson put up 45 on them). He's definitely shorter than what he is listed at and while he is obviously a strong guy and plays smart at times, I haven't seen him materialize any athletic gifts to give him an advantage over anyone else and that's a problem because he doesn't necessarily have the length he was supposed to have and frankly he spends more of his motion offensively in trying to physically clear out players over actually drawing content to create separation...and the shot is pretty broken as well...and the defense isn't anything special. I still think he can be an NBA starter, but it feels like he is a long way off from being any type of all star.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do you think he can be a starter on a playoff team? I just can't see him as much more than a journeyman player.

4. conquistador#11

"With how many ball handlers we have, we've asked Amen to more things. And he has been great." Udoka on Amen.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He might still be eventually. He reminds me a lot of a young Kyle Lowry - physically imposing and aggressive, but lacking a shot and the type of length to help him finish over taller players. Lowry wasn't really a guy you could trust to be smart with the ball earlier in his career but eventually he calmed down, made the smart play, and found that jumper that made him a perennial playoff PG later in his career....so I wouldn't say it's completely unrealistic for Scoot, but he has to show improvement as a ball control style PG similar to guys like Lowry and FVV because it doesn't appear that he has the physical tools to impose himself as a star despite that.

...but he does seem to already have a decent grasp of some of the individual PG skills and techniques - he makes decent reads, he does smart PG things using a screen and keeping a defender in jail but much like a lot of the younger guys on our team before this year, he doesn't seem to get his place of where to be both offensively and defensively for the sake of his teammates. It will be interesting to see if he gets there. I was close enough to see/hear him from the bench and the dude cares - he seemed very frustrated with himself for a series of bad fouls and bad shots from being too aggressive....just gotta channel that into something positive.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Best pure athlete in the NBA?

Nook, J Sizzle and bluffkin like this.
  8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think so. It’s all so functional. I mean, has been a top 15 defender already.

ramotadab and KingCheetah like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

25/15/4 That's star numbers.

That play in OT when Jalen beat 3 defenders for the acrobatic layup, Amen was right there for the put back in case he missed.

srrm, xaos, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Amen Thompson - Point (Center)

ramotadab, Amiga and Easy like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

He makes things look effortless.

Amen, Jalen and Cam are all top 5 athletes in the league but very different types of athletes

Amen - pure and effortless
    Jalen - fast and springy
    Cam - power and explosive

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Stone freaking nailed this pick. Amen is a beast.

jcmoon, AroundTheWorld, xaos and 3 others like this.
  14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Told y’all he was the better pick over Scoot

15. conquistador#11

still don't get all the love for Scoot. Although, I was all about that fraud Ausar over Amen.
    *I still really like Ausar. Don't want the other 3 twins angry at me.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Link?

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

You can go read my history. Probably a solid 50 post of me saying it

18. Qan

Qan Member

Glad Amen is doing well and finishing his rookie year strong.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Amen did well tonight but he also left a lot of meat on the bone missing some finishes at the rim.

Fortunately, his line-drive turnaround jumper cutting the lead to the 3 was more important than any of those misses.

His rebounding instincts are uncanny. It isn't just his athleticism.

xaos and matchesmalone like this.
  20. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

He’s risen to 3rd amongst his actual draft class.