1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STONE is still the HEDGE HONCHO. Why a FEW MAJOR HITS greatly TRUMPS MANY MISTAKES.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Mar 7, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also compared to the Nuggets I think the Rockets have more high end potential talent outside those two and Jokic/Murray.

I think the ceiling of Jabari, Cam, Amen and Tari are higher than Gordon and MPJ

Also I think Ime is a better coach than Malone.

Obviously the difference here is that Jokic is legit generational level talent and that can often be enough to overcome all the long term advantages the Rockets have.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Rockets won't take 2 big men B2B in the same draft esp when we still had CWood and projecting to take Usman Garuba in the 20s. Barnes was never in play it was either Jalen or Mobley at 2 no one else.

That's just lunacy and you only do it with the power of hindsight. Or do you? Mobley injured and failed to make strides whereas Jalen looking like Harden Jr. I'd say Stone won his bet RN.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's the GMs job to explore how much Green is worth doesn't mean he will actively trade Green. If he wanted Green gone then Green is gone at the deadline I'm sure some team will send us a role player and a pick for him.

What the leak said is Stone had a discussion with the Nets but talks never even progressed cuz Nets said Bridges was untouchable. How did that become Stone offered all the picks and Jalen for Bridges? Obviously to make an offer you need to have a negotiation first and the leak said that didn't even happen.

Stone is the dude CF always claim hold on to talent for too long didn't a lot of haters lose their **** cuz Tate still on the team? But now the narrative is Stone couldn't wait to get rid of Jalen bruh gimme a break.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I think a lot of people are looking at extremes on Green.

First - until Green “does it” for a full year, there are going to be some doubts. Having said that, this has been the best extended period of playing in his career - and we are going on a month of him scoring like 28 points a game.

Just need to be patient.

5. Ancient Moabite

Chuuuuch, preaching to the choir

Its not that AS needs to get to Jokic level, its the fact that all he needs to do is hone what he has in his bag but work extensively on his FT shot to 80-82% and he tacks on 2 to possible 4 more ppg, which 23-25ppg and 10-11 boards with the dimes is more than enough, with all the other reasons you mentioned

AS draws a lot of contact/fouls, so to me his FT% is more important than 3%, plus I Am banking in improvements from Bari/Green from that area plus the maintaining of Cam/VV with Eason coming back doing his thing

Sengun could avg 7-9 dimes when he comes back

And AS is trying to posterize you any given chance, like Green....explosive

Whereas Murray/Jokic try to out clever you and beat you methodically

6. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

Drafting Jalen green wasn’t a mistake and he’s proving that right now !

BallSoHarden, jdhi and cbass like this.
  7. Ancient Moabite

The draft is a dice roll from outside looking in

Stone really only had to choose between Mobley & Green

You have Tate/Eason/Amen who can do Barnes role, Barnes just has more size

Plus Sengun is way better post player than Mobley, Big/Guard is way to build..... Its why Mobley looks good next to a all star and all NBA caliber guards as he is spoon fed but right now he is not a O-hub like AS and he can't take over quarter/half getting buckets like Green that gives your team the momentum/W.....

It came down to scoring/selling jersey etc or defense/tall

The Rockets chose the 3 level scorer over the DPOY Finalist, in a league that shoot 2,000 threes a game climate, exaggeration but you get it

They chose what they felt was right for the franchise, its how you finish (entire body work), not how you start

This will be fun to revisit in 4-5 yrs from now, when they finish their first extension

HTownTmac1 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have been preaching this.

Dobbizzle, Zen Tabak, cbass and 3 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - it is so important.

They need to keep their picks from Brooklyn at this point - draft well this summer....... and bring everyone back and see who emerges and who does not. If Jalen Green is a 25+ point a game scorer with good efficiency, that changes the calculus a lot.... cannot be rash in decisions made.

There are a lot of talented and young players on the roster with a high upside, but they have warts.... some will get better and some will not - but we need to wait and see. For example, if Thompson shows some improvement as a shooter - the Rockets could have the most dynamic backcourt since Magic and Byron Scott..... that doesn't even count Whitmore, who has issues - but other star players are consistently saying he will be a star.

I love Tari Eason, but will he ever be healthy? Sengun will get better.... just lots of talent.

Add another piece in the draft this year with the Nets pick - or trade it for a number of future picks, so down the line, when we know the piece or pieces we need, we can get them.

The Rockets are young - Whitmore 19, Jabari Smith 20, Amen Thompson 21, Alpren Sengun 21, Jalen Green 22, Tari Eason 23... and will be adding a lottery pick that is between 19-21 years old.

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, and he needs to do it WITH Sengun.

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This really his rookie season as you can’t count the Silas years. Not bad numbers for a rook.

HTownTmac1 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, you can because he had better Offense numbers last year, just because his overall game was shyte does not mean this one did not count.

In the NBA every season counts but for some reason certain players are given more leeway and some guy like Alperen is even in fans discussions to be traded, a player that has been statistically improving hugely every year.

HardenReturns likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think they need to do it with each other. Jokic has to be covered all over the court, same for Embiid. So, Sengun has to be able to score outside of the paint for him and Jalen's talents to be maximized. Developing a 3pt shot is going to be KEY for him moving forward, on this team or any team.

BUT the bigger questions, if true, what would this team have looked like if Jalen had been traded for Bridges? What would the fanbase have thought at this point? Jalen PLUS numerous #1s for a role player!!

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

@Medicine N Music, when are you coming out with your annual draft player evaluation/recommendation?

im still maintaining that you can only really give credit to stone for the draft picks, which is certainly important. But the truth is that everything got better when we hired ime, and Ime was a Fertitta hire. FVV over Harden was at Ime’s insistence. The improved culture from the dumpster fire it was is from Ime. The improved play from Jalen and the rest of our young prospects is because of Ime.

so while I’m happy things are working out, if it was solely up to stone we’d probably have Frank Vogel and James harden. And we are probably not where we are right now. I’m not even dipping into his past judgement. Just can’t get there on Stone, but I’m happy our prospects are developing, and I’m so grateful we have Ime.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If we had Vogel and Harden, I am not sure I would even follow the Rockets.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

They will always be my team but no, I would absolutely not watch that.

17. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess now it's become an annual thing lol. Not sure, but likely after the season when players are locked into the draft. I briefly looked at some players and the one player that stands out the most so far is Reed Sheppard (if he declares/stays). Very high floor, medium ceiling. He's being mocked/projected all over the place, even at #1, but I would be surprised if this happened. He is a prime candidate to fall in the draft due to his poor measurements, poor performance last 2 games, and "projected" ceiling. Same reason we went with Amen at #4 over the safer bets, which I completely understand.

Ime is definitely a good coach who brought cultural changes and a positive influence to the team. There are always multiple sides to these stories/reports, but for better or worse, our GM is officially the one who hired Ime. He may or may not have been the biggest voice in the room. Lots of politics/optics at play with these moves.

We may or may not have had Harden/Vogel - we just don't know for sure. We do know that Stone is the GM and in a 3 year rebuild, our team has 1 likely star (Sengun), and 5 players (Amen, Jalen, Jabari, Tari, Cam) who have a wide range of outcomes. Some may even consider Jalen a star now, but we may have to pump the brakes a little. As @Nook perfectly stated, Jalen will continue to have doubters until he is more consistent. Same with all of our young players. We'll see what happens.

Btw, your whole post is very fair. Maybe we just have slightly different perspectives. Cheers.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I will say this; if we can add shooting to the rotation below, we are set up very well for next yr. Very deep.

Sengun/Adams/Landale
    Bari/Tari/Amen
    Brooks/Tari/Cam/Amen
    Jalen/Cam
    FVV/Amen

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Adding Sheppard to this would be niiiice.

Medicine N Music and Aruba77 like this.
  20. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Tari played all 82 last year, and didn't miss a single game at Cincinnati or LSU. I'm willing to bet the benign growth was more of a freak injury rather than one that categorizes him as injury prone.

But yes, we have a ton of talent and can't wait to see everyone fully healthy next year along with Adam backing up Sengun.