1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun Watson to the BROWNS! Wow!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Mar 18, 2022.

1. raining threes

Why do you say this?

Watson has always been overrated.

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

He showed promise early.... he played a lot of hero ball with some success.
    Nobody knew about BumRub Tugger until deep [​IMG] into is caREAR...

I'll see myself out

Jontro, FLASH21 and raining threes like this.
  3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I was pretty blah on the Watson trade. I knew we were losing a good player, but didn't want that scumbag to represent the Texans.

Glad we got a much better player and person leading the team.

Weird how once CJ was drafted, that all the good fortune started happening for the franchise

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He was an awesome young qb, saying he was overrated is just revisionist history. At the time of the trade he was easily the best asset ever traded in the nfl, a 26 year old superstar qb. Seattle got just as much for wilson, a much worse player who was almost a decade older. I’m glad it turned out well and i’m glad watson has sucked but at the time it was a complete fleecing.

Jontro likes this.
  5. raining threes

Hero ball doesn't work on a consistent basis. See jch1911's post for my thoughts.

I said at the time that trading Watson for draft picks was the way to go and this was before we knew he was a pervert. Luckily Watson being a sexual predator forced the McNair's to do what needed to be done to have a better chance at bringing a Lombardi to Kirby. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

GOATuve, ROCKSS, Blatz and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're vastly underrating where Russell Wilson was when he was dealt. Yes, older - but he was coming off three very good years: 95 TDs; 66.8% C%; 105 QB rating. And he had not sat out a year; he was not under criminal investigation; he was not staring down a significant suspension.

And while Seattle got a huge haul - I'm not sure it was "just as much."

This completely ignores both the circumstances surrounding Watson, as well the limitations his contract placed on the process.

I don't think anyone viewed the trade as a fleecing. In fact, I would argue most saw it as maximizing a valuable - but complicated - asset. He wasn't going to play for the Texans; he had dozens of credible allegations hanging over him. He was almost certainly going to be suspended. So, yes - he was a 26-yo franchise QB. But he had *a lot* of baggage.

raining threes and FLASH21 like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Seattle got 2 1sts and 2 2nds, we got 3 1sts, one of which was traded for 2 2nds. The 1sts they got were also better. The absolute best case scenario for wilson was what, 2 more good seasons? The best case scenario for watson was a decade where in his prime you would expect him to be a perennial MVP.

FLASH21 likes this.
  8. raining threes

I believe Caserio also got last years 4th which he traded for 3-86 in this years draft.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya, worse 1sts though which is lame considering how bad and injured watson has been

raining threes likes this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

Yah...can't help it if the Browns defense was good enough to win games. Especially last season...if only they had sucked enough to get a top 12 pick again this draft; Odunze or Brock would've been a real.

raining threes and astrosrule like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So insane. And it’s funny when we were all ******** on the DHop trade (RIGHTFULLY SO) we were using the fact that Diggs got a 1st (and a 3rd and a 5th)

everything comes full circle. We trade Watson for a haul and literally rebuild this entire franchise. Then we get Diggs for less than we got for Hopkins and this team looks INSANE. While Watson and DHop fizzle.

we deserve this. It’s been years of torment. Even my closest friends (meaning we are all savages to each other) had been feeling bad for me and not making jokes anymore. Now they are all talking about how fun this team is gonna be to watch.

Uprising, ROCKSS, Blatz and 1 other person like this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That's kinda misleading.

Astrodome likes this.
  14. raining threes

So glad to be rid of the Clemson, South Carolina guys

Watson, Hopkins, Clowney,Swearinger, Bennett etc... nothing ever good comes from there.

houstonstime likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Poppa (Bob) McNair was a SC grad. I swear its why we chose Clowney over Mack (IIRC Rick Smith wanted Mack)

Looked at our current roster.... guess where most of our current players are from?

Alabama.... then UTX (Cal's alma mater) & FL. It's true tho Nick seems to like players from P5 programs

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Duuude I totally forgot about DJ haha. I wanted him to be good so bad..

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  17. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

What was wrong with Hopkins?

18. raining threes

Didn't practice and was Watson's running buddy in his escapades.

19. raining threes

I like what Caserio and Ryans are doing when it comes to choosing talent. Seems to be a SEC and Native Texans are priorities it two prospects are fairly equal.

20. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Didn't effect his performance. Dude was a beast n we've traded him for peanuts (Bill's stupid a**). I'm still not over that trade