1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baltimore bridge collapse.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Mar 26, 2024.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I don't what is a bigger surprise, that this guy is a maga republican candidate for congress, or that he is running in Florida...

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If white people weren't so lazy and would work the graveyard shift ....

FrontRunner, Invisible Fan and ROCKSS like this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How in the world have y'all found 8 pages worth of things to argue about after a bridge collapse?

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Election year?

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

So this is just confined to politics?
    I agree and thanks for making my point for me. Checking the religious box, checking the female box, checking the ethnic box is being weighted more during the hiring process than in the past. For better or worse.

6. NewRoxFan

Seems another byproduct of maga... in the past, Americans would be horrified by a bridge collapse, but now... immediately scream out terrorism, "open boarder", DEI...

Ottomaton and No Worries like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Your "point"? You ignored the "she seems well qualified" (or at least, as well-qualified as past VPs for the role in front of them). And you ignored the "this has been true throughout our history." But if you agree with both of those... yes, I made your point for you and you are welcome.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, it's cultural.

DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) initiatives have faced criticism for their perceived lack of success since their inception in the 1970s. Many view them as mere lip service, with companies labeling them as successful without tangible results. The actual diversification of the workforce, with more women, foreign nationals, and non-white individuals, is often attributed to broader cultural shifts rather than these initiatives.

In recent years, right-wing figures have seized upon the DEI narrative, portraying it as a means for companies and public institutions to hire underqualified individuals solely based on their diversity status. This narrative has been amplified by mainstream media outlets like the NYT, aligning with the intended plan of these right-wing figures. This concerted effort has been effective in shaping the current perception of DEI as you and many others understand it.

While the effectiveness of DEI initiatives can be debated, the real danger lies in the underlying societal and cultural implications of this narrative. It perpetuates the racist belief that, specifically, Black individuals are inherently unqualified. This narrative stems from a regressive desire to revert to a more homogeneous, white-dominated culture, undoing the progressive cultural shifts towards inclusivity and diversity over the past few decades.

Xopher and ROCKSS like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

I am not sure this is true at all. There have been numerous studies on DEI and the benefits to corporations.

How Investing in DEI Helps Companies Become More Adaptable
    https://hbr.org/2023/05/how-investing-in-dei-helps-companies-become-more-adaptable

DEI by the numbers: 19% higher revenues, 25% greater profit and retention and attraction of team members
    https://www.pivotalsolutions.com/de...and-retention-and-attraction-of-team-members/

What Are the Benefits of DEI in the Workplace?
    https://businessleadershiptoday.com/what-are-the-benefits-of-dei-in-the-workplace/

Diversity wins: How inclusion matters
    https://www.mckinsey.com/featured-i...nclusion/diversity-wins-how-inclusion-matters

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. Xopher

Xopher Member

Look now Kamala was piloting the ship. She was also the mechanic who worked on the ship causing the breakdown

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. Xopher

Xopher Member

I think @Amiga would agree with your post and links. I believe the key word is "perceived". We know how MAGA perceives things even though their perceptions are not factual.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn, I've been making stupid jokes in the hangout thread, but RIP to these workers who were at the wrong place that the wrong time.

This thread is a shitshow of a greater shitshow.

The disaster has caught the attention of the sleepy public, and every opportunistic parasite out there is spewing regurgitated spaghetti and seeing what sticks with the algorithm.

FrontRunner, Andre0087 and No Worries like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and they thought this wasn't a D&D thread :cool:

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

(busy now, but a quick reply and i'll get back to this later)

There's a clear distinction between corporate DEI initiatives and the concept of diversity and inclusiveness itself. No doubt, diversity and inclusiveness are very beneficial. I want to not confuse that with the corporate DEI initiatives, which more often than not, are merely lip service.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the same breed of sick minded folks who laughed and shared hateful derogatory statements about an 80 year old man almost beaten to death with a hammer. They find any opportunity to spew their bigotry and racial viewpoints.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's Business as Usual for their talking points. We know what little value they bring and they exist to highjack the attention of viewers who tune out politics with outrage.

Seems like politicizing any apolitical tragedy is becoming the default in American discourse, with politicians and pundits are now "outscooping" the other with the most shameless attention grabbing soundbyte to build up their brand...a print to digital news transition.

18. dmoneybangbang

lol…. We never had any issues when the white man could do whatever he wanted…

Like how big of a p***y do you have to be to get caught up in all this DEI?

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

From my extensive experience as a leader in business, I've seen it time and time again - many (maybe most) DEI hires are simply not qualified. DEI actually sets racism back, because it perpetuates thinking that certain racial groups aren't capable of getting jobs on their own. From my experience, many people assume that folks from certain racial groups only got their jobs due to their race, which in many cases is true, but in other cases it's not, so this also perpetuates problems in the workforce. The larger problem, though, is that it perpetuates "identity politics". "us vs them" thinking. That's what's problematic - quit dividing people up into some artificial box and pitting them against each other. That doesn't help anything, it actually has the opposite effect.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You must suck at business then. Thoughts and prayers, man. Thoughts and prayers.