1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The problem is anyone who loses control, regardless of how much money they have. It creates a path toward corruption.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear that, but if even a rich player (or "rep") is down $5M, the vig alone is going to exert non-trivial pressure on their monthly finances.

4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

That's true. Didn't look at it from that perspective

5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

True. Opens the door for a multitude of problems

6. Porkasaurus85

Porkasaurus85 Member

You wouldn’t care if games are fixed? All because some players were betting over their head. There are some really smart internet detectives, and apparently, Otani has a habit of suspicious play when big bets are on the line. Maybe some other can look into it to confirm(X: timmy_smokes) But if he is throwing games/has thrown, it will be devastating for the game.

everyday eddie, Radricky and GOATuve like this.
  7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He has a ton of suspicious bets and it keeps coming out. They won't be able to sweep it under the rug. Manfred is inept and it's a federal case they're building. Too much money

Porkasaurus85 likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I remember when the appearance of corruption was enough to get you banned. And I thought it was a noble effort to steer clear of danger.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those that understand legal proceedings and rules, is there a chance we will ever know the details of the investigation the government has going on? Or is that something that would be sealed for some reason or not public knowledge? My hope is while MLB will likely bend over backwards to protect Ohtani, the government really has no good reason to do so (unless they would genuinely fear foreign relations with Japan would be damaged -- unlikely). So my hope is no matter what MLB does, we all learn how much Ohtani is lying, and about what.

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It sounds like he was paying off the debts but realized it was illegal, so told his buddy you have to take the fall for this because you started this ****.

I could totally see Ohtani bailing his buddy out. 4.5 million is much for your best friend when you have hundreds of millions and was going to get a 700 million contract. Taking the fall for your best friend after he gave you 4.5 million to bail your ass out is something that sounds reasonable.

12. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see a poll, who all believes Ohtani vs who thinks he is lying

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprised that Mizuhara was a huge gambler, He was always a risk taker as a player.

htownrox1 likes this.
  15. the shark

the shark Member

How does his interpreter get not just access to his banking account but his password as well. Also, anytime I've ever sent or received a wire transfer from my bank they'll email me letting me know of the transaction.

With that said, Ohtani has not only lawyers to handle his legal affairs but one would think he also has financial experts watching over his finances and so how in the heck do these people not see 4.5 million (or possibly even more) missing from his account?? Even if he didn't have a financial person handling his finances Ohtani would have received the emails being sent from his bank notifying him of the wire transfer. On top of this, it's my understanding that banks have a WAY more rigid process in order to make that large of a wire transfer and just like AMEX or any other credit card company would do they'd reach out to you directly if there was a lot of suspicious activity coming from your card and making sure you are in fact the one doing the transactions and that your card wasn't stolen. If it got out that a specific bank wasn't protecting their customers (not notifying them of HUGE wire transfers and making sure it was in fact the bank account owners account and them making/wanting to do the transfer) that bank would be in SO much $h!t with the SEC and their reputation in the market would be DESTROYED. It's also not like all if this just happened a few weeks ago. This has been going on for a few yrs. As also pointed out what bookie would allow this interpreter to be running up a debt of 4.5 mil or more??

My bank asks me so many questions to make sure it's me making the transfer or receiving the transfer. Lists of questions that only Ohtani would know. Example what's your mother's maiden name? First street name you ever lived at? First car you ever drove? Favorite musical artist? So many different questions they could ask and this interpreter knew the answers to all if these questions??

Ohtani has some SERIOUS questions that need to be answered. MLB wants this to go away but his bank has some serious questions to answer and it will also be interesting to see if his interpreter (who is now being thrown under the bus by Ohtani and is accused of theft and looking at going to prison for years) will be willing to take the fall and keep quiet to protect his so-called friend if in fact he's innocent??

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They call him his interpreter but from my understanding, he is pretty much his best friend. They have been pretty much together 24/7 from before he came to the States. So personal assistant would be a more correct term even though Interpreter is how he gets paid by the Angels/Dodgers.

Its like calling Rich Paul, Lebrons agent. Everyone knows its more than that.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Gold.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

cross reference with pitching to Maldy for confirmation

19. HeyBudLetsParty

This is what I believed, but it still doesn’t answer why the payments were made multiple times over 2 years.

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I just went on X and the cumulative IQ there makes our board look like a salon of Mensa society members.

RKREBORN, Jake Tower and Astrofan59 like this.