1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 8: Green Goes Nova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2024.

?

Do you believe?

1. Yes

58.4%
  2. No

41.6%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude is a highlight machine. I don't think he ever will have the same level of ball handling as Kyrie but the way he moves often feels like a taller more athletic Kyrie.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

It is reported. The Earth is now circling Jalen Geen.

sirjesse, roslolian and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is it safe to say Green has become an above average ball handler? He shows so much creativity with his handles now.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hearing Ime talking about pace over and over again the past month or two was really the hint I got that something is going to change. Looking up Sengun's effectiveness at a fast pace was the second clue (he's just as excellent at any pace). Before Sengun went down, the team was trying as much as possible to push the pace. Sengun and Landale seemed newly encouraged to take 3pters, which would help our spacing. Things really seemed to be aligning for Jalen individually. From every direction, life was telling him to step up. Whether for his family or his career or his injury riddled team. That's when you discover what a person is mostly made of on the inside. If he were a selfish, lazy, losing player then this chapter would have gone in the opposite direction. People want to brush off his performances but I think this streak says a lot about his character and his commitment to the team. We needed him to step up and he has stepped up very quickly and hopefully it's mostly sustainable.

I know that Jalen is absolutely elite at beating his own man off the dribble on the perimeter. We just needed Udoka to see it to believe it. By pulling out the opponent's rim protector (or subjecting them to Amen) we've made Jalen's most elite skill (first step) so easy to convert into efficient points. He just has to beat the guy on the perimeter and sprint to the basket - he's clearly elite at that part of basketball. It's only when rim protectors are planted at the rim where he needs more strength and experience to be successful. Which rim protector is going to have time to beat Jalen in a sprint from the 3pt line to the rim? Very few, if any. The closest their rim protector can guard the rim is if they put him on Amen and he sags a little - that's not enough to catch Jalen. If he sags too much, Amen is punishing him. We really needed Udoka to see what he has at his disposal. This is not even optimal spacing yet - in fact we're playing with Jalen and Amen both of whom are not shooting well overall so in the future there could be even better spacing. If Sengun has a 3pt shot next season OR if Jalen improves his 3PT shot, this duo can carry us offensively. I think at least one of those guys is likely to come back with a better 3pt shot, if not both.

Another great game from Jalen. Doing what he's supposed to do against the worst teams in the league. Bringing consistent energy. Proud of the kid but still very much interested in how he does for the remainder of the season on both ends of the floor and in the win column.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

In the first half of the season, we were playing extremely slow and crowded basketball. That's very difficult for a ball handler. Requires strength, skill and IQ. Doesn't require much athleticism. Playing that way plus with a traditional PG and a post player is on the absolute extreme scale of simulating playoff basketball. I don't think an average playoff game is even that slow anymore. It's good for the team to learn that, but that doesn't seem to be what the majority of successful offenses are doing these days.

That first half was like a boot camp for Jalen's handles and game. With all this newfound pace, opponents still getting set up and extra space it makes things a lot easier on the ball handler. So I think we're seeing a combination of his improvement and just a better system for his particular abilities.

Zen Tabak, fchowd0311 and Believe It! like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This I don’t think I’m reading past chapter 8 of this book

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It should have been Chapter 3........Chapter 1-2 told the tales about him and Silas and then Chapter 3 begins with his struggles adapting to Ime and then him actually finding his rhythm.

That is how you make a pamphlett out of a book.

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

... but this is the best chapter.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

damn this book has everything!

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You never know what to expect from Jalen. Most disappointing stretch of his career vs best stretch of his career - back to back. It’s getting hard to deny the hints of Nova now. Udoka flat out says what Jalen is doing is not easy. He says he has seen the improvement over the season.

Right now you can say Jalen has improved every single aspect of his game since last season on all sides of the ball. Has improved his defense, offense, passing, effort. I don’t expect him to put up 30+ every night to finish the season but just keep his effort, energy and efficiency up.

I find it doubtful that Udoka sees what’s going on and allows Jalen to go back to poorer shot selection. There’s something in it for Udoka now - a potential 25ppg scorer with good defensive effort for next season. A playin berth. If Jalen finishes the season well, Udoka will get credit for it.

I think he’s one more small offensive evolution away from being able to do this against good teams. Just keep tightening the shot selection. Be a bit more picky about 3pters and mid range jumpers. Replace 1-2 shots with 1-2 assists/passes per game.

If we finish at/above .500 after these injuries with Jalen leading the scoring it will be a major achievement for him and the team.

12. Ancient Moabite

The magnet gods (silver) have spoken loud for the scrub / bust, every fluke-ster has its day

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I had a weird dream about a year and a half ago that Jalen Green would end the Warriors dynasty at some point. Maybe it all comes full circle when we play them next, that would be sweet. Things have been strangely aligning to make a confrontation necessary. Specifically aligning withJalen.

We got exactly the type of game we needed from Jalen against the Blazers. Showing that this “streak” is about an improvement in choices rather than just a hot shooting streak.

The shot wasn’t falling early in the game but he still played some good defense (a few elite sequences), rebounded the ball, stayed active off ball, gradually figured out how to attack the opponent.

This was his best bad game ever, if that makes sense. It shows that perhaps his ceiling AND floor are higher now.

14. kpdark

kpdark Member

Jalen will end them

Mathloom likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

27 pts on almost 30 attempts, he is coming down gradually.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

I will believe once I see him do it to start next season. I do not expect him to play at this level every single time but his lows (playing like pure ass) should not last 2/3 of the season. If he starts off even half this good and picks it up to this level to end next season I would be completely happy with him.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

his stretch on both sides of the ball in the 3rd quarter won us the game last night.

BaselineFade and Mathloom like this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jalen won them the game with his defense and hot streak offensively.

I think he is finally aware of this, but if his shots not falling, then he needs to take it to the rim or get closer to the hoop to get himself going.

When he gets a dunk or two, his shot seems to fall right after.

topfive and Mathloom like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

26 shots is not “almost 30,” and he had 42 points on 21 shots the game before. Do you know what “gradually” means?

20. Ish

Ish Member

It's like he's the only player that's not allowed to have a more shots and than points night . Like I think all the offensive 3 tier players doesn't have those nights..it's only unacceptable for Jalen.. young Kobe, ai , Vince Carter, young mj , tmac.. damn he shot 8 for 26 for 25.. he tried carrying the team..gets credited for chucking the ball..after bad shots attempts thru out but when Jalen has those game at age 22 younger..this guy sucks.hes not efficient..he's a 30 year when no potential..he can't try to carry or attempt.. I rather see him go 6-10 every game and just stay efficient and not try to win