1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawnmowers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Do you just have a bucket or are you also able to attach a hay spear and/or pallet forks and/or something else?

Perhaps/probably might need an adapter plate if you are attaching other tools/implements.

2. Buck Turgidson

Hydraulic tree shears and post hole drill, couple of different buckets, forks, etc...

Mango likes this.
  3. Mango

My grandfather had a relatively small fenced yard, but a big outer area that he would have cattle graze during Summers when his pasture was stressed. His temp fence was Hot Shot and the cattle tended to respect it.

4. Buck Turgidson

My first close and personal experience with an electric fence was quail hunting on our deer lease outside of Bracketville in the late 80's. To cross a fence you'd use the butt of your shotgun to push the top wire down and then carefully straddle over it. Then one day the wire slipped off of the gun and mid-straddle hit me right in the crotch. It'll zap ya through a pair of jeans, I can confirm.

Mango likes this.
  5. Exiled

Exiled Member

Hired an arborist to remove a few massive Hemlock and Red Cedars, they left a few stumps of 5ft wide and 2 ft above grounds ,ordered a chainsaw from Amazon and started but never finished with 20" bar, decided to slice it like pizza and use the skid to shave it, big mistakes as I busted the bucket hydrulic cylinder , but at least the dougwood tree has room to breath now, should had watched more youtube before attempting to do it

6. Mango

Is the hydraulic cylinder completely ruined or can a repair shop fix it?

7. Buck Turgidson

No idea. I do know that those logs would make an outstanding bonfire.

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

labor is quite expensive here, each tree cost 2200$, permit 1500$, so I don't even bother to goto a shop , tried JB weld, worked for a minute, the end cap ruptured, rod ,oring seems OK, just the groove that were damaged, ebay suppliers seems to have something similar, will take a few week to try it out, taking measurements was a bit of learning curve, new stuff to me

Mango likes this.
  9. Mango

I agree about the bonfire, but he needs to get the bucket on his skid steer working or come up with some way to offload the wood.

Even the split pieces of wood look like a Pain in The Back to me.

#69 Mango, Apr 27, 2024 at 12:20 AM
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024 at 1:22 AM
    Exiled likes this.
  10. Mango

You had to spend for a permit to remove trees?

Is the property in a protected area that caused the need for a permit?

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

tree protection bylaws is quite strict, the certified Arborist was worried about his license and city's inspection though I had compelling reasons to remove a dozen of trees, Dougwood in particular represent the symbols of BC, so it's a No-case.

at some point some landscaping company thought it'd a good idea to cover the ground with plastic ,add fiberglass insulation material, then add mesh,cover everything with sand to level the ground and prevents soil erosion, and plant Laurel shrubs and poisonous ivey vines, and a reported case of 200ft tall tree that collapsed barely help convince the city to issue the permit without having to plant 14ft tall replacement trees.

plenty of trees and moss lawn left

Mango likes this.
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

do you have a control button ā€œCā€ for that?

13. Mango

Since much of Texas doesn't have such a disciplined program for trees, it would take some serious rethinking about trees if somebody from Texas moved to your neighborhood.

They used chain saws or commercial forestry equipment to bring those trees down?

14. Mango

Dealing with trees with a Hydraulic Shear on a Skid Steer is better than doing it with a chain saw, but there are limitations on what is possible.

On smaller trees, they can make quick work of things.

15. Mango

Since the conversation has moved from lawnmowers to Skid Steers

A Skid Steer with plenty of Muscle and a Fat Wallet to pay for the Firewood Processor are necessary for doing this. Maybe $20,000 was the price in the past for a larger/better Firewood processor attachment, but it probably costs a fair bit more today.