1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I just love how Dodger fans are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to convince themselves that his statement is the truth.

2. Screaming Fist

Im sure he does. If you watch this debate play out on twitter you would think Ohtani was mentally capacitated the way fans lower the bar for him.

3. toby

toby Member

But the translator told lies. It’s all fine. He told lies. Nothing to see here.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

From what I understand from people in the industry, reps cannot just wire big sums from an account without two forms of the account holder's ID.

It just really doesn't look good or honest for Shohei.

I don't love seeing him in trouble, but I love the Dodgers giving him a decade + of money and then finding out he had huge, weird baggage. LOL.

BMoney, marks0223, arkoe and 6 others like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I always, always, had to have my boss sign off (on paper, faxed back and forth) on all wires (I'm talking 6 figures, not millions) after I arranged everything with the banks. Then my boss would verbally confirm on the phone what we're doing, with the bank exec.

This whole story is so ****ing weird.

#305 Buck Turgidson, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    Plowman, BMoney, B-Bob and 5 others like this.
  6. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Told lies according to who?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

More “lost in translation” media handling…. Maybe the media should bring their own translators now.

It’s quite palpable the conflict the media is having with this. They know how much his presence his presence impacts the good of the sport… but the print media guys also know that if they truly “break” this story, it will be on of THE biggest stories in all of sports.

(Obviously, no comparison alert:)
    This whole awkward period also slightly reminiscent of when OJ was first being “questioned”, and he was a true media darling, and there was very little much further expanded on it (even though in one of the clips of him being “questioned”, he was cuffed… and nobody thought to question that?)

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I hate anything having to do with the Dodgers as much as anybody.

But frankly, I couldn’t care less about this. I don’t care at all about whether someone gambled or not. Makes absolutely no difference to me.

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

I agree. But if it warrants a punishment, whatever it is, it should apply to Ohtani even with his name recognition and star power. And not be given a pass because of it.

Radricky and everyday eddie like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

This holds true with you for all sports?

Do you not see the problems inherent with it?

GOATuve likes this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

*Kawhi laugh *

B-Bob and Dgn1 like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reminds me of that conspiracy theory where david stern shadow banned Jordan for a couple years and he went to minor league with a plausible cover story of his dad. Manfried probably called all the Fixers in his rolodex

Ohtani could still fill seats in Japan, but that'd only happen if he were indeed a gambling degenerate with no rhyme or reason for thinking ahead.

13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

The problem being is lower level players doing it. They need the money

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I totally get your point and I bet you’ll agree they can’t make a different set of rules for who we arbitrarily call “lower level players.”

Buck Turgidson and GOATuve like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Players, coaches, refs...it all goes to the heart of the integrity of the competition

MadMax and GOATuve like this.
  16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Definitely agree.

MadMax likes this.
  17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Well said. It's difficult to follow a strength coach who is going through players to gamble. Has to probably be something on their taxes

18. Buck Turgidson

College basketball is the easiest to "fix", it really only takes 1 good player, and nobody is really paying attention to the "little school" games. There were multiple point shaving scandals (you don't necessarily have to lose, you just don't have to win by as much as you should) involving organized crime and players who were in debt to them. Mostly in the Northeast, shockingly.

#318 Buck Turgidson, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It would be so easy to pay a "good" player to miss a few shots down the stretch of a game without the debt.

You definitely know what you're talking about.

20. Buck Turgidson

GOATuve likes this.