1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet will be the worst FA acquisition in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The point of Brooks and Fred is really to keep the money on the books because we would lose that money if we didnt use it. So they had to sign vets the issue that I have is that Harden was right there.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This. Brooks has been fine. Honestly, I think there are multiple NBA teams that would trade a first round pick to pick up Brooks in the off-season.

Progress is never entirely linear. We played really well this season at home, and every player made strides with the exception of Green. Udoka (just like the players) will learn and get better over the next couple years as well. Getting to 32-35 wins is fine. The other thing that stands out to me is even in the games where we lost. We were just far away more competitive than last year.

Even with Adams, we need to address rim protection, a little bit more in the off-season. The backup 4 specifically next year should have some chops in regards to elevating and blocking shots from the week side as part of his skill set. Add some shooting as well, and I think we are well on our way to 42-45 wins next year.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

no, u

roslolian likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He looks worse than pedestrian when he cannot get it going or shooting bricks.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that, Brooks without his antics would probably be like a Ron Artest light but he is not Dillon Brooks without his antics and dirty plays.

I would stay away from Brooks if I had a SMART team!

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Shout out to FVV with a dominant pure point guard game today.

BaselineFade, ashleyem, Y2JT and 3 others like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

A 13-1 assist/TO ratio is absurd.

BaselineFade, OremLK and roslolian like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden would want a 5 yr max, FVV signed a non guaranteed deal.

Harden is gonna make 60M a year that would just destroy Rox cap in 3 yrs when Sengun and co need extensions.

Everybody hates the WB trade but the reason we got screwed so much is because CP3 contract was guaranteed. Harden would be like that in 3 yrs we'd have to give up another king ransom to dump him.

OTH FVV is an expiring next season already we can just cut him if we don't need him. That's the difference.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can't put a price on FVV's value to this team.

Let's put it this way. Jalen Green upgraded his backcourt mentor from KPJ to FVV.

Like this alone probably saved Green's career trajectory.

This dude being available this past off-season for free agency was hitting the lottery. The perfect player to have as a vet leader for a young core.

Having Jalen follow a guy who went undrafted to becoming an all-star guard who was a major contributer to a ring being his shadow and mentor is perfect for Green as he sees the level of work ethic required for someone that doesn't have anything close to his talent. He sees what actual work is required to be a winner.

BaselineFade, HD729, xaos and 13 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

FVV also unlocked Alpi (together with Ime).

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

The idea that the highest paid player on this team is willing to take a back seat to a couple of young guns so they will develop is so underrated. He could easily be a guy who demands that he gets his numbers every game. Its so valuable that he isn't. Worth every penny. (All these guys make too much, but thats another story)

xaos and roslolian like this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This. I understand it's hard for some people to get their head around wanting FVV over Harden, a lot of us still have a great deal of love for Harden. But to me, it comes down to four simple questions:

1.Did Ime want him?
    2. Is he the right role model/leader for the kids?
    3. Would he be willing to take a backseat to facilitate the growth of the kids?
    4. Would he absolutely cripple our financial flexibility as we try to build a contender over the next 5 years?

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. Yes.

#676 Williamson, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    xaos, T for 3, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His defense has also been superb for his size. It really impresses me how good his hands are and just rips it away from bigger players when they bring the ball low

roslolian likes this.
  18. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Who start this post and man you are eating crow now geez

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think #3 is a "Maybe, but probably not." If you look at his role with the Clippers, he is taking a back seat to Leonard and George in terms of scoring. But those two guys are established star players. Would Harden do the same for the kids? Not sure. I seem to remember he was quoted to have said that he wanted to be the man here. That would be a no no for me.

I know some people argue that Harden being one of the best playmakers in the league would set up good scoring opportunities for the young players for their development. That might be true. But FVV is doing a pretty good job on that front so far. He is 7th at apg, only 2 spots behind Harden.

#679 Easy, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    Williamson likes this.
  20. verysimplejason

Good job!!!