1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen is what he is, he will get somewhat better, and there is no GM that is going to change their opinion if he is hot for 20 or so games.

DD

Ubiquitin and clutchdabear like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Except they are taken 2nd now.....

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Preach

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always liked Steve Clifford

B-Bob likes this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The experiment will end when our FO values Jalen the same as opposing FO's do.
    As long we place a higher value, he is here to stay.

cml750, B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, not to mention that a guy like jalen green will bag $40M, while being a net negative for 4 years, while solid vets like Aaron Holiday play for Vet Min year-by-year... That's total BS: no sane person would run a payroll like that in a regular business. This Rookie Scale system is terrible. What it does is, it rewards these elaborate hype operations ran by players' representations prior to the draft, to secure that high pick and the money that comes with it, all-the-while their clients are clueless 19 year-olds, with no fundamentals, and no competitive resume...

I like the MLB system with team control and arbitration. Things need to change in the NBA to something like that:
    • All First Round Pick play for Vet Min in Year 1 (guaranteed). That's like an apprenticeship year, to get their feet wet and pay their tributes.
    • Years 2 and 3 are guaranteed at Vet Min, too.
    • After year 1, teams have several more years of control (say 3-5 extra years) where the salary is flexible. If team/player cannot agree on salary, they submit to Arbitrator their tenders, like in baseball. If a player is non-tendered, he becomes a free agent.
    • Arbitration ceiling can be much higher than current rookie scales. This way a guy like Luka who was playing at an All-NBA level in Year 3 can get something like $20-25M, and not be exploited like in the current system.
    The current system is terrible. Paying useless bums like jalen,10-12M per, over 4 years, just because he generated some hype and got a high draft position is total BS.

On the flip side, underpaying early solid contributors on the rookie-scale is also total BS.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will he though? Many if not most don’t get better after their second year.

8. fattz

fattz Member

To answer the OP, it’s already over. The problem is what to do now; time, money spent alone along with lost opportunities.
    That draft will go down as an all time bust for us because 3/4 of it are not NBA players just a few seasons later. Plus the circus that came along with it. (The videos of them humping one another) Not a good look for any franchise. IMO, holding onto Green just makes it even worse because he is the face of most of the dysfunction. The ONLY redemption and reason for Stone still being the GM after that draft is Sengun. (That trade was a steal). The next draft was much better, even with 1/2 the picks. Last season’s draft was also incredible. By removing Green only positive is left. Stone just needs to man up.

9. a time to chill

truth bomb

cml750 and daywalker02 like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Has the writer shown his face ?

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is scary about Jalen Green is that he has an awful lot of tools that unlock If the shooting ever turns a corner, which it possibly never will.

Right now he is a dreadful shooter, and he is still incredibly skinny. When he gets physically stronger and IF his three-point percentage makes an appreciable leap to 37-38%, he becomes an easy 25-6-5 every single night.

He doesn't make that much sense to us right now, because we have multiple prospects, but I'd be fishing for a buy low If I was another NBA team looking for talent. Terrifying to give up on him still, IMO. If I was Brooklyn, I'd have made the Bridges deal for all those picks and Jalen Green in a nano-second.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The only question . . . How confident are we . . .that he will put in the Work

I don't think anyone doubts his abilities or athleticism
    Where is the DOG in him? Where is the drive to work?

If we doubt that . .. . and have little faith in him to do that. . . might as well trade him now

Rocket River

DaDakota and NewAge like this.
  13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

The only thing he has is athleticism

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

One of the truest things ever said into a microphone.

Rokman likes this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess I'll raise my hand here and say I doubt his abilities. I think some people just don't have it in them. Like for example, if I spent between 40 and 60 hours practicing basketball every week from age 10 until I was 20 years old I would not be in the NBA. I just don't have it in me. I don't think it's always an issue of work/effort. I think back to Dwight Howard on free throws, the lakers had shooting coaches working with him and he would shoot like 1000 free throws per day, every day. And he could hit over 80% in practice. But then game time comes and he's a 49% shooter. Similarly I don't think any amount of reps could turn Clint Capela into a good three point shooter. Give him the best coaches in the world and infinite time to work on his shot and he's never going to shoot like Steph Curry. And that's why Steph Curry is Steph Curry, if anybody could put in the work and do what he does then we'd see hundreds of Steph Currys in the NBA.

I don't doubt Jalen Greens work ethic. Lots of workout posts and lots of reports from guys who work with the team suggest otherwise. I think he works hard and I think he wants it badly. But I think he just doesn't have it.

#235 harold bingo, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

This guy said EXACTLY what needed to be said.

Screw draft position! You either have the chops to be on the court and hang with the big boys or you don't.

If Jalen had been drafted 24th everyone would have already screamed to cut bait.

#236 Rokman, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

Bingo! (pun not intended). All he has is insane athletic ability which does not automatically make him a basketball player. Perhaps he would have made a better wide receiver in football where his height, first step, leaping ability, etc... could of allowed him to get separation from defensive backs? Of course then the question would have been could he have adequately run routes?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great example! Where are those 100's of Seth Curry players who work soooooo hard every day? On the scary side of that, I'm not expecting Amen to ever be some great 3 PT shooter either, which is why I really hope we sign a veteran SG with proven consistency in the off-season and add another in the draft. We need another starter to replace Jalen, while the younger guys get minutes to continue development next year. Otherwise, it's going to be another year of growing pains.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. Rocket_Man_2.0

You have to give young players time to develop...you guys gave up on him too early!

highpost1388 likes this.
  20. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

As far as I am concerned, I already gave him enough time to develop. Yes, he is doing great recently and I am happy for him. I really hope that he can stay at this level, which is good for the team, for himself, for everybody.

But, I do not regret posting this thread and I will continue to say so: I think the way he developed is much slower then I expected (maybe thx to Silas), the super inefficient way he was playing was draging this team down and made me give up on him.

Whether he can stay at his level? I don't know, but I do hope he can co-exist with Sengun and continues to shine. His recent performance does not justify the damage he has done to this team this season but it does give me a bit hope and make me want to watch another season of this 'experiment'.

Little Bit and Corrosion like this.