1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You may be right, but why not since he still needs work at 1b and limiting strikeouts. It would be foolish to bring him up before then. I really don’t think he’s coming up until Singleton and Julks have time to s**t the bed. If Myers gets hurt they might actually bring up Leon if he is doing well in the minors.injury to Abreu might be the only thing to accelerate his ascension.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I got into it a bit on another board with someone who called me an idiot for talking about super 2 with Loperfido because he’s 25. Service time manipulation is the same way with a guy like him- you don’t need to craft a strategy around avoiding that with. Guy like him, but you ought to be aware of it and not act foolishly with no reason.
    It makes sense (absent major injury) for him to be done until July and prove he can master AAA, and if that gives us a pass on service tine or super 2 then cool.

Nook likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Him mashing in AAA will also accelerate it.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looks like Meyers is ok. But I bet they put Julks on the roster over Kessinger to open the season.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t get me wrong, I want him up as soon as possible as a singleton replacement. When he does come up, I hope he can start a couple times a week at 1b and/or of

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A significant injury at any position opens up an everyday spot for Loperfido. If Abreu or one of the OF gets hurt, Loperfido can come up and tap their spot. If Altuve, Pena, or Bregman gets hurt, Dubon takes their spot and Loperfido then comes up to be the primary backup at 5 spots (1B, LF, RF, CF, DH). He is either the 9th/10th guy, or the 14th. Those 12th/13th roles are too limited to be filled by a prospect with significant potential.

No Worries and CisBuds4U like this.
  7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

So, to be clear, my Amazon Prime subscription won’t allow me to watch Astros games (yet) despite recent agreement between Bally Sports and Amazon? Looking into options in Austin

8. Radricky

Radricky Member

Lance Lynn looks fat as ****

IBTL likes this.
  9. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’m in the Austin area and I think direct tv is my only option

Tomstro likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

"Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen!"

Wulaw Horn and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

What’s the scoop on Whitcomb? He’s hitting the ball well and mashed in the minors… apparently one of the best hitting shortstops in the minors. I assume his D still needs work ? Is he a potential Bregman replacement at 3rd? Haven’t heard much but watching him in spring looks promising

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this but the Astros are very different than just about any organization when it comes to how they value their prospects - I can tell you from experience that the internal lists have been radically different and more accurate than commercial ones or WAR predictions…. I don’t know if that is the same with Brown but the “brains” largely remain the same in Houston. I suspect Brown follows suit because he refused to deal Melton straight up for Verlander and Raley and instead traded Gilbert and Clifford for just Verlander.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Julks has some supporters on the coaching staff and player development side - they think the bat can become quality.

Personally I think Leon should be brought up and given a chance - but I am not as good at making the call as the Astros PD which is elite.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I would bring up Leon too. Julks can hit some PISS ROPES (credit to @The Drake ), but that's about it. UH or not, I don't know how useful Julks is.

The Beard, Stephen66 and The Drake like this.
  16. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Strikes out a ton. Doesn't walk. Hit 35 homers in minors and still had an OPS below .800. That's tough feat to pull off.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised he's still in the league. Dude had a winning record last year , but had almost a 6 ERA. lol.

Radricky likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I've been talking that up for a while...he strikes me as a great 4/5 OF and PR, end of the bench weapon.

raining threes likes this.
  19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

If you are sweating a going to be 33-year old OF heading into his 1st season of FA, then your team sucks.

raining threes likes this.
  20. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Thank you Dusty.