1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking] Texas lawmakers IMPEACH Attorney General Ken Paxton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, May 25, 2023.

1. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I actually don't care about you at all nor whatever news station you frequent.

You do care about posts because you respond

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some of the blame does have to go to the Texas Democratic Party and to Texas voters. That the Texas democrats can’t come
    Up with a statewide candidate to beat an indicted AG or a widely hated Ted Cruz. Even Kentucky voted out their Republican governor.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I respond to your posts for sport. I wish you hadn't deleted the post where you claimed your wife wasn't intelligent about politics so she just votes like you do. That one won the internet for the day.

Blatz likes this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

You do realize the overwhelming majority of Americans have no idea about politics right? The median voter has no idea who their senator is. Why are you dissing @GOATuve ? He comes across as a honest individual who is willing to vote for the good of the country?

GOATuve likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully we can get Cruz out this year. I can't stand anything about that creep. It blows my mind though that Abbott is still governor of this state and Ken Paxton is AG. They are despicable men payed for by Texas billionaires and the NRA.

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Well that was dispectful to her and shouldn't have posted that. You're grasping at straws trying to score political points but I shouldn't have said that and I'm willing to own my mistakes

7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that coming from an extremely reputable person like yourself

astros123 likes this.
  8. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Yes let's please get Criz out

deb4rockets likes this.
  9. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Hey for all thr disagreement I think we all agree getting Cruz and Paxton out works for all of us. Again I apologize if I offended anyone

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not really blaming any voter more than in any moment in history. Being uninformed is greater now, I'm thinking, but I haven't read the research on it. Republicans aren't going to vote for many Democrats and vice versa. Sure, if Democrats can vote in greater numbers or if they can persuade people effectively, that can be a check on power. That's not my point though.

We are arguably in a constitutional monarchy or triarchy in Texas. Well, it's King Abbott with his 2 princes, Paxton and Patrick. It's not about them being too conservative. I expect them to be conservative. It's about corruption for Paxton, and power consolidation for all three. We're transitioning from a democratic constitutional monarchy to an absolute monarchy. I think it's a failure upon myself and all of us Texans that this really isn't a big deal - it should be. We are tearing up the Texas Constitution and again, this is only for short-term gains in my opinion. If you the Legislature and voters keep allowing this to happen, all it takes is a populist Democrat to ascend to power and do everything he wants. There will be no check on his power.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This is the danger of partisanship and is what George Washington himself warned about in his farewell speech.

Since I don’t live in Texas anymore there’s not much I can directly do to address it but as someone who still feels strong ties to that state it’s distressing to see this situation.

The bigger issue though is what is happening in Texas happens in other states and could still happen to the country. We see it even here all the time that a multiple indicted candidate who as president had to settle multiple lawsuits including shutting down his foundation for fraud could be re-elected. That people justify it with all sorts of culture war arguments, alarmism, and frankly dehumanization of the other side.

It’s the recipe of how democracies fall going back to Ancient Greece.

Andre0087 and Xopher like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Can you explain more about which powers have been consolidated and how that happened?

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

why do you want paxton to go to jail. what crimes did he commit?

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

trump just rolled up the republican nomination with ease. he didnt even show up to a single debate and still wiped the floor with everyone else. he put his daughter in law in charge of the GOP. 2/3rds of republicans falsely believe that the 2020 election was stolen. the GOP is the MAGA party. theres no denying that at this point.

the 'bothsidesism' youre engaging in here is really off-base and not valid. the level of corruption, lying, criminal behavior and unconstitutional actions is not comparable in any way. what trump has done to the country in the last 9 years is on another level from anything biden or harris has done.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I get the dislike of Biden and Harris. Biden is old and Harris comes off as a schemer who is grasping for power. I hate Biden’s rambling stories and folksiness. I hated it now and 20 years ago when he was chairman of Judiciary.

Biden as president though did get some major legislation passed on infrastructure that Trump
    Couldn’t do even with multiple infrastructure weeks. The infrastructure acts and CHIPS acts will greatly affect the US economy and development for decades. It’s no accident that even the Republicans who voted against them are campaigning as though they were the ones responsible for it.

Leaving those aside even if Biden was the complete doddering fool that his opponents did and Kamala Harris was as bad as her opponents think she is they are still largely within the Constitutional norm that this country as seen. Even accepting that Biden has some
    Petty corruption regarding his son that pales in
    comparison to the billions that Trump’s family has leveraged from his term in office. While Hunter Biden was pandering to foreign interests Trump’s daughter and son in law were literally representing the US in high level negotiations with foreign governments. Governments that have conveniently rewarded them with trademarks and BILLIONS in investment capital.

Biden at his worst puts him as an inept corrupt politician. Not good but something we’ve seen in US history.

Trump is something we’ve never seen before. He openly admits to wanting to not following the Constitution when it’s inconvenient and according to members of his own staff tried. He used government assets to profit his businesses. He not only kept classified and sensitive national security documents as his own in his bathroom. Unlike Biden, Pence or many others when challenged on it rather than cooperate he continues to obstruct.

And of course he tried to overturn a legal election. He incited his followers to intimidate Congress and when violence broke out he did nothing for hours and even egged on the mob. To go after his own VP.

Biden and Trump aren’t the same. Even if you accept that Biden is a bad president that’s what he will be. A bad president. Trump
    By his own words and actions is a threat to the Constitution.

jo mama and Andre0087 like this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It may take a few days. Apologies. Busy with watching hoops, work, and life. Here are the bullet points:
    - Texas used to have a diffuse government with local control for most of 100 years
    - Multiple legislative actions and SCOTX decisions have stripped local control
    - Legislature is losing power to governor (partly due to power taken and partly due to acquiescing) via
    • rule making through executive orders for emergencies (covid and immigration)
    • rule making through agencies (governor has also taken full control of agencies, while still blaming them when things go wrong - see ERCOT, even though ERCOT is essentially ruled by governor)
    • threatening and successfully primaring anyone from own party that stands in way (see school vouchers for private religious schools)
    - SCOTX ruled in against Paxton 8-1 upholding Texas Constitution. Instead of trying to get Lege and voters to change the constitution, all 3 judges up for reelection got primaried.

- Abbott is the best fundraiser in Texas of all time. Uses the money against his enemies, which have deemed to be anyone in his own party who disagrees with him on anything, except for one House member - forgot his name (an old friend).

-Abbott took a part-time military emergency outfit (Tex State Guard and Texas National Guard) and made them full-time positions via executive orders and is using them to achieve policy goals....
    That's enough for now.

#296 Kim, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    Amiga and Andre0087 like this.
  17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

This is a very well thought out post. The problem on the Republican side is he never has any competition. I favored Haley because I detest Trump but she didn't put herself in a position to win.

As I've stated before that a vote for Biden is a vote for Harris. He's not making it through another term. She'd be such a terrible president. That's why I'm not voting in this election it's so disappointing these are the options

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thx. I'm aware of all of these except for the 3 judges being primaried.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/13/ken-paxton-court-of-criminal-appeal-primary-republicans/
    https://www.texastribune.org/2024/03/05/texas-court-of-criminal-appeals-republican-primary/

To me, this isn't even Criminal Court of Appeals judges from their own team coming at Paxton. This was simply them doing their conservative job, but it's all about not crossing the executive branch. Judges were like the security guard and Paxton was like Marlo, well, Marlo's captain who then goes to daddy Marlo (Abbott) to get permission to get revenge.

Actually, that clip analogy also works with the life-long conservative ADA's who were all boyscouts. Well, they actually came at the king. And eventually, they will get paid because Paxton refuses to testify and wants to settle (with tax payer money).

Amiga likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

sean coombs should quickly run for Texas attorney general. Or president...