1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Landry's Tooth

I see them interchangeable. Bielak has more experience and without options is prime for boosting trade value to flip at deadline when guys are back.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  2. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

41 players still in camp

(3) C: Diaz, Caratini, Stubbs (NR)

(7) IF: Abreu, Altuve, Bergman, Dubon, Pena, Singleton, Whitcomb (NR)

(7) OF: Alvarez, Julks, McCormick, Meyers, Tucker, Leon (NR), Loperfido (NR)

(16) Pitchers: Abreu, Bielak, Blanco, Brown, France, Hader, Javier, Marinez, Montero, Mushinski, Pressly, Sousa, Valdez, Contreras (NR), Kuhnel (NR), Scott (NR)

(8) Injured: Garcia (60), Graveman (60), McCullers (60), Ortega (60), Verlander (15), Urquidy (15?), Dubin (15?), Kessinger (15?)

Injury list length is just a projection, no one is on the list yet.

#1022 MAstroS, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    IdStrosfan, ryan_98 and J.R. like this.
  3. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

its only ST, but nonetheless: blanco 15.2IP, 0R, 6H, 4BB, 18K (numbers-wise, he had a similar 2023 ST with 14IP, 1R, 17K)

13 in 33 likes this.
  4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

He does this every spring training and winter league season. He looks like the next coming of Pedro Martinez every time.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When your fastball plays well up, but is a meatball down the pipe, don't do this:
    Screenshot 2024-03-22 075247.png

Blanco's slider is hard with wiggle that plays well to both RHBs and LHBs such that it should be counted as 2 pitches if one uses the rational a starting pitcher needs 3 pitches (i.e., a fastball plus a pitch versus LHBs, and a pitch versus RHBs). He just needs his fastball to not be one of the worst performing pitches in the game (7th percentile, gotta say, I would have guessed 1st or 2nd).

#1025 Joe Joe, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I realize it's bad, 7th percentile is terrible, but it's all about command. Keep it on the edges or even off the plate.

Greg Maddux probably has a similar heat map, but very few pitches in the middle of the zone.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

So basically send all the NRs to minor league camp, put injured guys on IL and there is 26.

That's the way it looks to go. When Kessinger is ready, Julks is sent down. ( FWIW position players are 10 days not 15)

MAstroS likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Leon has good to very good pop - but he doesn't have Schwarber's 50 homer type power.

Leon also has started to walk more - which helps some with the strikeouts.

They are working with him on getting better at knowing when to steal and not steal.

He has a hole in his swing, and it is noticeable and so far really hasn't gotten it under control - so yeah, he is likely going to strike out 150-200 times and he also will likely have a low average as a consequence.

On the plus side - his combo of speed, defense, ability to draw walks and good power can make him very productive.

I have also had a few scouts say that with his bat speed, they think that he may be the rare player that strikes out less at the big league level.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Can you think of a better comp? Schwarber was the typical 3 true outcomes guy I thought of. Adam Dunn type. Lots of whiffs, lots of homers and walks. Leon has the first and third parts down. But I question the ability of a 5'8" guy with a giant hole in his swing to be able to produce as a regular on the major league level, even if he does play good defense. I hope he can figure his swing out.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I was thinking Bobby Bonds ?

He had a career 22% K rate, and 3 seasons over 25% in an era where that was gigantic and all the other tools.

Still had a higher AVG than Leon ever projects to hit.

11. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

I would take Scott over Sousa. I believe Scott can't be optioned but Sousa can one more time.

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

is Leon trade bait or a future starting OF for the Astros (or 4th OF) ? With Loperfido , Melton, and Corona in the wings and McCormick Myers and possibly Tucker here long term - is there a place for Leon ?

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If there isn't room for him and he isn't even on the 40 yet so still has at least 6 and maybe 8+ years of control, how does it make sense to try and get a different OF for him?

Wouldn't there be no room for that OF either? If you were getting a "better" OF for him then why would that other team trade him?

14. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

cool. thanks for the insightful counter question. My comment was directed more toward his future with the Astros. He’s 25 going on 26 this year and I don’t believe he’ll make the opening day roster… nook commented and seemed to still think highly of him . If there is no place for him in the next ~2 years or so, and he has value, then maybe it would be prudent to move him either for prospects or in a trade ? Trying to gauge how the Astros FO also view him - ie as an important future piece or trade bait. Sorry if that broke your brain

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He doesn't have much trade value left as a prospect. Even if they don't like him much at this point, they've likely held onto him past the point of value. Better just to let his tools play and see if it comes together. There's always space for outfielders to get a chance during a season.

Melton and Corona, they can cross that bridge when they get to it. Again, always ways to get OFers on the field.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Leon’s ceiling and versatility lend him to be more valuable hanging on to him unless they are offered something really good in return. If he continues to develop and breaks out he has potential to be an everyday player at any of the 3 OF spots, with star potential. He has very good potential as a bench player, given his speed and arm. Even his current state, his floor, is of value as a guy stashed in AAA ready to come up and fill in in case of injury.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I know our out-field is crowded but Myles Straw was just placed on waivers. Jussayin'

edit: just looked at his numbers, nevermind.

#1037 tehG l i d e, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Lol.

My point was mostly about your curious and specific want if an OF because as an OF he's blocked?

I think it makes quite a bit of sense to use him, or several of the glut of OF as trade bait, but for pitching or infield help.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Still better than Singleton and he plays gold glove defense. Haha. That being said, we don't need him.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Git r dun Crane! Sign Straw baybeeeeeee.

Wulaw Horn likes this.