1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But that's Senguns strong point. He needs the ball more because he is more of a scorer. They need a more defensive minded center in Udokas system in order to be successful.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are not going to be successful for perennial years if they cannot find a hierarchy and every guy is looking for a near max.

As early as the extensions are coming, we will see how many of them are real friends.

As for playing style goes, it also hinges on the personnel you are willing to pay.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I thought my post was more comedy than hurtful. We've seen way worse on here. Racism never once popped in my head when I commented. It shouldn't even be the 1st thing that comes to others minds.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That one but 'turkish stiff' was also intended to be a joke at first.......but usually the jokester would be told by Turkish members what they can joke about and what not....and see if that jokester is reasonable.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just looked through that thread for the 1st time and, yeah, I get it now. Yikes!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

My bad. I didn't look through that other thread and didn't know what was going on.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...that is a solid observation. Sengun has had the ball in his hands more this year but what is important to note is how he is using those touches and last I checked the data was that he is attempting to score more which is great because he is a good post player - but part of why our offense has exploded is we are taking a different type of shot when the ball is in other people's hands - 3s and shots at the rim.

When Sengun plays, he naturally draws a tall defender closer to the rim because of his lack of range. When Sengun gets more touches this year, he is largely looking to use those to score. The REAL question we need to be asking is overall for the team how do we strike a balance between Sengun's elevated post game, Jalen's first step speed to get to the hoop, how spacing impacts the ability for other guys to contribute offensively AND how to utilize both Jalen and Sengun's gifts to get easy buckets for their teammates.

I know most of your already have Jalen's bags packed but its in Houston's best interest to spend one more year trying to make it work even if it means we lose Jalen for nothing eventually - honestly I would make both him AND Alpi RFAs and let the market determine their price and then decide at the end of next season whether we are comfortable matching the highest bidder. By then we will have more data on where Jalen and Alpi are trending in terms of their compatibility AND we will know more about whether Alpi can extend his range, whether Jalen can improve his efficiency, and where both players are in terms of their long term defensive capabilities.

topfive and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

EWING THEORY
    https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/010509a

What's the Ewing Theory? Where did it come from?
    The theory was created in the mid-'90s by Dave Cirilli, a friend of mine who was convinced that Patrick Ewing's teams (both at Georgetown and with New York) inexplicably played better when Ewing was either injured or missing extended stretches because of foul trouble.

Curious to see if this phenomenon applied to other stars/teams, Dave noticed people were pencilling in the '94-'95 UConn Huskies for a .500 season because "superstar" Donyell Marshall had departed for the NBA. Dave knew better; a lifelong UConn fan, he thought the Huskies relied too much on Marshall the previous season and could survive without him. Like Ali predicting the first Liston knockout, Dave told friends the Huskies would thrive in Marshall's absence -- and that's exactly what happened. By midseason, UConn was ranked No. 1 in the country for the first time in school history; the Ewing Theory had been hatched.

Dave introduced me to the Ewing Theory three years ago, and we've been tinkering with it like Voltaire and Thoreau ever since. Eventually, we decided that two crucial elements needed to be in place for any situation to qualify for "Ewing" status:

1. A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).

2. That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

When those elements collide, you have the Ewing Theory.

What's the best example of the Ewing Theory?
    That's easy. During the '99 NBA Playoffs, Ewing tore an Achilles tendon during the second game of the Eastern finals against Indiana. With Ewing finished for the playoffs and nobody else on the Knicks who could handle Rik Smits, the series seemed like a foregone conclusion. As an added bonus, since Ewing himself was involved, that made this the ultimate test of the Ewing Theory; in fact, I e-mailed Dave that week to say, "This is the greatest test yet."

Dave's return e-mail oozed with confidence, as he told me in no uncertain terms, "Ewing's injury is the best thing that ever could have happened to the Knicks -- they're definitely making the Finals now."

So what happened? The Knicks won three of the next four and advanced to the NBA Finals for only the second time in 26 years. Had Jeff Van Gundy's crew shocked the Spurs in the Finals without Ewing, Dave might have his own line of "How-To" videos out right now (a Knicks upset was simply too tall of a task against Duncan and Robinson, Ewing Theory or no Ewing Theory).

9. Ancient Moabite

The fact that racism schsim was created in the 1700's thanks to Blumenbach and his illiterate drunk cohorts who made up a 5 color code not based on any actual DNA/ancestral pedigree is where you should be focusing your energy on, the root of it, not the 2000's use of it

You are the only one who has actually mentioned the Yellow color because most of the sleepy-headed masses use just the first two colors you mention, which those are political slave name marks of commerce (ask any constitutional lawyer)

Brown and Red are the other colors that get hated on by the big racist coloring crayon leaders on the stage show..... Black/White

I got the Orange/Indigo/Blue people on line 2, they are upset for being left out as well

Including those colorful characters in Guardians of the Galaxy

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think most of the incompatibly issues resolve itself once Green becomes a more consistent shooter and Sengun stops hesitating on open shots.

Still have Sengun's post play be a key weapon for the offense but that's the point. Make it a key, not the bread and butter.

Next season also we should see a lot of those FVV/Sengun Pnr two man game possessions transfer over to Green/Sengun Pnr two man game possessions as the bread and butter.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

yeah agree - I would like to see Amen on the short roll too when Sengun sits - I feel like he can be a Draymond type of offensive 'quarterback' but with better rim pressure abilities when we play a 4 out system. Hopefully guys like Cam/Jalen/Eason/Brooks come back with more consistent long range shooting next year because this team gets REALLY dangerous if you have the Amen unicorn setting up shooters.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I have a question. How long would this win streak have to be before SOFs start to question their loyalty??

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The winning began before Sengun went down and against better teams on the road. Amen has been the common denominator that has made our transition game much better. Green also has been hitting his 3 pters (when he doesn’t get lazy and settle for the step-backs). Look back at the show time Lakers as the model for what we can be in the future, great in transition and the half-court.

We struggled for a bit while Sengun adjusted to being doubled later in the clock which was a strategy being employed until Ime and Sengun adjusted to it. We weren’t playing fast until Ime got comfortable with Amen and Cam, because he had to play FVV 40 minutes. The lane was being clogged more because of our inability to hit open 3’s than anything else.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

We beat Sacramento at full health on the road in Sengun’s last game. We mine as well add Eason and Cam to the blame game along with Sengun. We’re playing better without all of them. Newsflash to all on this board who think we’re better without Sengun….we’d be 60-22 if we played the last 7 teams only for a full season. When you play the Celtics, Bucks, Clippers, etc. you need borderline all-stars like Sengun to compete.

cmoak1982 and tagedieb like this.
  15. Ancient Moabite

To a certain and for sure degree its more like we are all guilty of pre-judging ie. Prejudice, but I don't think the Parent of the human family would be actually racist toward their children (nations) but they can and will Judge them on their actions etc

The race card is the institution where the underhand design promotion of the 5 color code but only use Two of them for silly reasons, and that was originally manufactured and programmed in the modern USA

Racism is really just birthright theft of the autochthon people's estate

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

We just need to keep all of our good young players. Especially Sengun. We’re headed in the right direction, don’t screw it up let Ime cook

BaselineFade, xaos and topfive like this.
  17. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

The long answer is... yes

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You agree in that we should explore trades for Sengun

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, only the village idiots think we’re better without our best player Alp on the floor.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Can't agree more. What we're witnessing is the result of three years of expert-level tanking. That feeling you get while enjoying this current win streak is made that much better because of all the suffering we went through. We could be looking at a decade of this joy (and even higher heights) if we don't get impatient and trade any of these kids for older guys with fewer good years ahead of them.

BaselineFade, xaos and cmoak1982 like this.