1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Moving back to the H!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RudyTBag, Mar 23, 2024.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any suburbs I should be looking at for family housing these days? Any recommendations I can scout out would be greatly appreciated. Looking to buy a house in the 400-600k range.

Have a 3 year old, so school district is very important. Half the family is Asian, so diversity would be fantastic, too.

Season Tickets: Coming Soon…

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

For work or play.......is there a certain geographic area of Metro Houston that works better for you?

If you are being particular, then also drill down to the attendance zones for High Schools in a District.

Weighted to what I know about the High Schools. No idea about Elementary and Middle Schools. Some Districts have High Schools with specialized programs and will mostly skip over those schools.

School Districts

HISD
    -- Not suburbs

Fort Bend -- Sugar Land and surrounding

Austin
    Bush
    Clements
    Crawford
    Dulles
    Elkins
    Hightower
    Kempner
    Marshall
    Ridge Point
    Travis
    Willowridge

Austin, Travis, Crawford and Ridge Point (maybe Hightower as well) are probably the newer schools in that district. For the most part, they are also more distant from Houston than the others.

Some of the other High Schools have Attendance Zones with not many (if any) houses in the $400 - $600K Range.

Lamar Consolidated -- Rosenberg - Richmond

Lamar
    Terry
    Foster
    George Ranch
    Fulshear

George Ranch, Foster and Fulshear are the newer schools in that district. Probably avoid Lamar and Terry

Alief -- Alief

Elsik
    Hastings
    Taylor

This District has the diversity that you mentioned, but maybe a bit too much. Some people don't consider Alief a Destination. Maybe not many houses in the $400 - $600K Range.

Katy
    -- Katy and surrounding

Katy
    Seven Lakes
    Tompkins
    Cinco Ranch
    Taylor
    Paetow
    Mayde Creek
    Morton Ranch
    Jordan

If I had to choose, then perhaps from the group of Tompkins, Seven Lakes, Cinco Ranch and maybe Taylor. Paetow and Jordan are relatively new and I don't know much about those areas.

Spring Branch
    -- Spring Branch and surrounding areas such as West Houston. Maybe not considered Suburbs, but since I am here.

Stratford
    Memorial
    Spring Woods
    Northbrook

Probably not Spring Woods or Northbrook.

To Be Continued

#2 Mango, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    Invisible Fan, Xerobull and RudyTBag like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The answer is Sugarland

4. Mango

Yes, but it will be a while before his child of 3 is going to be in High School. Some of the High Schools in that District are already old and will be even older in another decade. So that is why I suggested to drill down deeper than just picking a School District.

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. astros123

astros123 Member

Live far way from any MAGA neighborhoods for your own sanity

ROCKSS, IBTL, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

What's the deal with Kingwood and the Woodlands these days? Beautiful homes...

Mango likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yeah, I really need to nail down on avoiding those. Going to take a trip in a few months and scout out a few spots.

deb4rockets, Xerobull and astros123 like this.
  8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'm walking in fairly blind.

I'm looking to narrow down a list of 5 or so places. I'm looking for a nice home in a nice neighborhood with nice neighbors and good schools. :D

I like Texas BBQ, the Houston Rockets, and lots of trees and grass. Where should a guy like me move my family out in Houston? Could you shoot me a top 3 so I can lock in on a few?

9. Mango

I have been going Clockwise around Metro Houston and the Cy Fair District is next on the list. It also might be the last District that I will comment on. Once the conversation goes much beyond Hwy 290, I am not as comfortable commenting on the Districts & Schools.

So others will have to tell you about schools in Districts such as
    • Tomball
    • Spring
    • Conroe
    • Humble
    • Clear Creek
    • Etc

I thought that there might be a consideration for travel to work or being close to relatives or something like that.

Since this is still a WIP (Work In Progress) waiting on others to speak, I will wait before suggesting a definite Short List.

For now

Ridge Point
    Travis
    Austin?
    Crawford?

George Ranch
    Fulshear
    Foster?

Tompkins
    Seven Lakes
    Cinco Ranch
    Taylor?
    Jordan?
    Paetow?

Memorial and Stratford are in nice areas, but not sure if either is right for you. There are some Regulars (Pole & MadMax & Buck Turgidson) in this Forum that are more familiar with those areas than I am.

#9 Mango, Mar 23, 2024
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Glad you’re coming back to the city with the best people in the world!

Don’t sleep on the Clear Lake area. Lots of growth, safe, very, very diverse. The Baybrook Mall complex is thriving unlike most malls with tons of shopping and food options (not just a food court). There’s also a growing entertainment district in Webster with a Top Golf, Chicken and Pickle (Pickleball) and a Great Wolf Lodge coming next year. Not to mention it’s 30 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from downtown. They’ve been widening 45 for years and it’s a dream to drive on in the Clear Lake area and rarely gets backed up.

Clear Creek ISD is very good academically with two science magnet middle schools and two GT magnet middle schools with robotics teams that compete at the national level with high schools. The High Schools are all great too with tons of extra stuff like a culinary program, robotics, actively push dual credit with college courses, etc.

MAGA-wise it’s pretty sparse, but this is Texas so you run into those assholes everywhere.

Housing cost wise there are deals and you can easily get something in your budget, although you didn’t really specify sq footage, rooms, etc. My agent is ****ing amazing so if you don’t have one yet DM me. She works her ass off and is amazingly knowledgable.

Houston is so massive that different areas have different ‘flavors’ and slightly different demographics so your mileage may vary.

Deckard and RudyTBag like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

There are some nice developments they are building south of Pearland. Pomona, Meridiana, Del Bello, etc are a few of those.

#11 ElPigto, Mar 23, 2024
  12. Buck Turgidson

If he has a tricked out DeLorean I might be able to help.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Biased because I live there, but I have grown to like Cypress. Have lived in Katy, LC and Sugar Land (albeit briefly). All are also great places for families. But I'd prefer Cypress. Bridgeland and Towne Lake are the two big new(ish) neighborhoods with A+ schools and amenities. We're in Bridgeland and I wouldn't move for anywhere else.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Alief all day bruh. It’s not even close.

thegary likes this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alief is where I go when I want to get robbed.

IBTL likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Good to know some things in Houston haven't changed.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn Haymitch is ballin

I lived in the neighborhood behind the walmart on barker cypress for a little bit and uh illegally enjoyed y'alls amenities here and there.

18. Mango

I thought about it some more and the type of house that you are seeking might not be available for $400 - 600K in the Energy Corridor (Memorial & Stratord).

So for now, scratch them from consideration.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Based on everything you've posted so far, I'll be surprised if you don't end up somewhere in Ft. Bend County. Sugarland is a great choice but not the only good one in the area.

Will you be working from home or commuting? If commuting, where is your job located?

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Remember, he said he likes trees.

If I had to move back to the Houston area (outside of the Loop, sorry @Ziggy), it would be the Clear Lake or Woodlands/Conroe areas.

RudyTBag likes this.