1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. War Machine

War Machine Member

Tampa's not bad, but would rather go Ennis Rakestraw if he's available at 42 than Tampa if decide to go Corner tbh. Tampa's tape is just a little too inconsistent for my liking. My Longhorns cooked him badly this season too. He's very gifted physically, which is why he's projected as a mid-high 2nd Rounder right now, but his tape in coverage isn't that of a high 2nd Round CB imo. His aggressive play-style gets him beat too often in coverage, and he wants to hit-stick everyone instead of wrapping up which leads to a lot of missed tackles/poor tackling technique. He also plays with his pads too high -- needs to maintain better discipline with his pad level to improve his change of direction speed, especially at the next level where he'll be going against much faster receivers.

The good news is he's got all the physical tools you want in an NFL Corner with his size, arm-length, athleticism, etc. He's versatile and can play in both Man and Zone Coverage schemes. He's not afraid to play in the box and make tackles against RB's. Wouldn't be a terrible pick by any stretch, but if you're drafting him at 42, you're banking on our Coaching Staff really improving his discipline over the next couple years. If they can though, he could turn out to be a very good Corner opposite Stingley for years to come.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. War Machine

War Machine Member

As a full-fledged Texas A&M hater, I can say without bias that Cooper is a very good 3-down LB and we'd be lucky to get him at 42. Don't think he'll still be on the board unfortunately but I'd love to be wrong. He and Christian Harris would be fantastic together in DeMeco Ryan's Defense.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Looks good to me. I've made several similar drafts, but have been fixated on higher risk/reward players Theo Johnson and Tanor Bortolini in the 4th
    to cover OL and TE. I've tended to go with IOL help on O and swing players on D.

Rudyc281 and K9Texan like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Qan

Qan Member

Probably can get him in late 4th or 5th round

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know a lot of people don't think we need depth at our OLine, but I think this sounds like an interesting prospect for the 3rd round.

KIRAN AMEGADJIE

HEIGHT 6’ 5’’ WEIGHT 323 lbs
    ARM 36 1/8’’ HAND 9 5/8’’

Overview
    With a rare blend of athletic traits and eye-popping length, it might be a mistake to bet against the high number of boxes Amegadjie checks. Amegadjie already possesses impressive explosiveness as a drive blocker and could become a quality NFL starter once his tutelage is complete.

Strengths
    Outstanding blend of size, athleticism and length.
    Road-grading power to clear running lanes with leverage and force. Light on his feet with the ability to get to challenging blocks in space.

Hands showed noticeable in-season improvement in pass protection. Loose lower half provides foundation for NFL anchor strength. Body control and lateral agility allow for consistent mirroring in pass pro. Arms go on for days and will be some of the longest in the draft. Displays impressive torque-and-turn power in his hips as base blocker.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He would sit behind Azeez

He would not play all 3 downs for us

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

I wouldn’t use our first second one him, even with the great athleticism.

His awareness and discipline in zone coverage, as he is late to get his hands up and can come in too hot, making him susceptible to getting juked by shifty backs.

Cooper’s smaller frame and needs to add more size and strength in order to better hold his ground and get off blocks against the run.

If Cooper can improve his feel in zone coverage, he has upside due to his athleticism and movement skills.

12. Housport

Housport Member

I believe the reason the Texans traded out of the 1st round was because their top 2 needs are Safety and Linebacker. In this draft, I don't see any 1st round grades on safeties or 4-3 linebackers. Would make since to trade back again from pick 42. There is a cluster of 2nd round safeties of Tyler Nubin, Rabbitt Taylor-Demerson, and Javon Bullard that you could choose from and then draft a strong side linebacker.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

We’re so clever, aren’t we all. Let’s Texan, let the cooking go on as this is a braised dish, not some stir fry.

Sooty likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/dr...atest-buzz-rumors-news-prospects-risers-mocks

Miller's notes:

Keep an eye on the stock of Georgia cornerback Kamari Lassiter over the next month. He opted not to run the 40-yard dash at the combine, putting all his chips on the Georgia pro day for a testing time. But scouts on hand in Athens for the March 13 pro day were disappointed to see Lassiter run a 4.65 during the workout. One scout told me, "It was kind of expected he would run a slow time ... but that's still a poor number." Another scout reflected that Lassiter might be out of the Round 1 discussion now. The 6-foot, 186-pound corner is ranked outside my top 50 players and could very well be looking at the back end of Round 2.

I was at the Ohio State pro day on Wednesday, and defensive tackle Michael Hall Jr. put on yet another show after a great Senior Bowl appearance. Weighing in at 299 pounds after being 290 at the combine, Hall ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.75-4.78 range according to scouts at the workout. His positional drills were also impeccable, as he displayed great agility and flexibility on bag drills and the circle drill. Hall is my No. 75 overall player, but an adjustment is needed on my end. His first-step quickness and burst are worthy of a Round 2 grade.

The Texas pro day on Wednesday was attended by 96 NFL personnel people, believed to be the most ever for a Texas pro day. The folks in attendance saw a great workout from wide receiver Xavier Worthy. I talked to an NFL evaluator who was at the workout and said Worthy "put on a show; he caught everything." A fringe first-rounder, Worthy has had a great pre-draft process, including his 4.21-second 40-yard dash at the combine and now a clean pro day workout.

Reid's notes:

Cornerback Kool-Aid McKinstry came into his Alabama pro day with questions about his speed and the Jones fracture in his right foot discovered at the combine, but he aced his performance. He jumped 34.5 inches in the vertical and 10-foot-1 in the broad, and scouts had McKinstry timed in the 4.48-4.52 range for his 40-yard dash. An NFC area scout said to me, "Him going out there and competing despite the injury says a lot about his want-to and competitive desire to attack those question marks that were out there about him." I could see McKinstry being selected as high as No. 17 overall to the Jaguars, and it's hard to see him getting past the Eagles (No. 22), Packers (No. 26), Cardinals (No. 27) or Lions (No. 29) in Round 1.

In talking to scouts, one name that keeps coming up as someone who could go earlier than expected is Duke offensive lineman Graham Barton. His pro day is set for March 28, and evaluators are looking forward to seeing him back in action after he missed out on the Senior Bowl and battled injuries last season. There are still mixed opinions about his best position at the next level, though. The No. 26 prospect on my board (and second-ranked center) is 6-foot-5 and 313 pounds, and there are some scouts who believe Barton can be a tackle in the pros. But even if Barton projects on the interior, there are a lot of teams looking for a starter at center; the Steelers (No. 20), Dolphins (No. 21) and Cowboys (No. 24) make a lot of sense here.

Yates' notes:

The race for WR1 is closer than the public might realize. Mel Kiper and I discussed this on Monday's episode of the "First Draft" podcast, and I feel confident in saying Harrison and Nabers are viewed comparably leaguewide right now. Harrison's smooth route running, size and power are all off the charts, but Nabers' suddenness, explosion and after-the-catch skills have him right in the mix. And the reality is only one team will ultimately determine which wide receiver is the first taken.

This tight end class isn't considered deep, as Bowers is the only certainty to be drafted in the first two rounds (he'll, of course, be a first-round pick). But here's a tight end who has helped himself a ton during the pre-draft process: Illinois' Tip Reiman. He ran a 4.64-second 40 at the combine at 6-foot-5 and 271 pounds. He had 19 catches this past season, so his 2023 receiving tape will not blow you away, but he was stellar at the East-West Shrine Bowl. My TE4 right now, Reiman is a talented blocker and has untapped receiving upside.

LSU defensive tackle Maason Smith continues to pop up in conversations with people around the NFL, and he cracked my most recent top 50 update. Smith flashed potential as a true freshman in 2021, racking up 4.0 sacks in nine games, but was limited to just one drive in 2022 before suffering a major knee injury. He needed time this past season to work his way back into his old self, but his late-season tape is impressive, and his physical traits are outstanding. Smith is 6-foot-5 with 35-inch arms and nearly an 85-inch wingspan. In a class that has a lot of smaller defensive tackles near the top of the heap, Smith's frame stands out. I expect him to be taken in the second round.

As pro day season marches along, one thing to keep in mind is that some prospects are unable to fully take part due to health considerations but are trying to work out at a later date closer to the draft. Both Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean (leg) and Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton (foot) fall into that category, as each is planning for a workout at some point in April. And each has a chance to be a first-round pick.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So we have Harris (Will LB) Azeez (Mike? I thought he was outside)
    Then we have Henry To’o To’o who is a Sam? Or Mike?

Basically, are we looking for an OLB or a MLB? And we are wanting them to start in front of Henry? If it’s OLB then Cooper or Wilson, but if it’s a MLB so Azeez and Harris can be outside then should we be looking elsewhere?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

IIRC we run A LOT of nickel defense (4 - 2 - 5). So that nickel DB (King? Pitre?) plays a LB/S role.

Meco likes to get pressure with front 4. LBs are there to stop dump offs / QB scrambles. Secondary stops big plays and looks to get TOs. That nickel DB is tasked with a variety of roles. If we secure a centerfielder type safety (Justin Simmons!), the other safety is more focused on TEs / RBs.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Really wanting Simmons. He helps with a lot and is a ball hawk. Him and Sting would be getting us the ball back a lot. Simmons has intercepted Mahomes more than anyone else too.

with our pass rush, let’s get some ball hawks.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member