1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

May
    he has no idea. He quotes other, better, thinkers and cannot complete a thought or a sentence on his own.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

My opinion if they got Bridges they would include Jalen in the package because it wouldn't make sense to bring in Bridges and not make him a starter. Green would be due an extension the same year as Bridges so you'd still end up losing one of them.

Y2JT likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Had bumped a theoretical scenario to Clutch couple days ago. Maybe will put it down here.

If Rockets were to trade Jalen + salary filler (but no picks & swaps), for Mikal straight up. Would you?​

Jalen is currently on an upswing while Mikal's market value has been going down somewhat. Still good but definitely lower from the start of season.

4. MystikArkitect

Thinking I'd still trade Jalen + 24 FRP for Mikal Bridges. But I'm genuinely wondering how big the drop off is from Mikal to Jalen from a production standpoint *if* Jalen is producing like this defensively. Essentially saying would you trade Jalen + Cody Williams or Reed Sheppard for Bridges.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dillon Brooks + their choice of one pick for Bridges.

If they call right now, I’ll throw in Jock Landale or Jae’Sean Tate for free. [​IMG]

topfive, AXG, ThatBoyNick and 4 others like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13 in 33, burlesk, roslolian and 4 others like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even that guy looks like Roosh Williams going to his Email and get the Call from Green.

ThatBoyNick and Easy like this.
  8. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've been watching a lot of Nets and Hawks games recently because of the pick we're owed from Brooklyn and the play in chase. There's a huge difference between how Dejounte Murray and Mikal Bridges are guarded by opposing teams and how they are valued by their respective franchises.

Murray has had to do everything recently due to Atlanta's various injuries, especially to Trae Young. He brings up the ball, is the floor general, primary scorer, runs pick and roll, hits threes off the dribble. Teams are pressing him, doubling him, doing everything they can to get the ball out of his hands, and he's still producing. In his last ten games he's averaged 25.8/4.8/8 on 45.5/37.9/74.4 splits. Despite being shopped at the trade deadline, Murray's giving maximum effort. He's playing like his hair is on fire.

Bridges doesn't carry nearly the same load. He doesn't lead the Nets in any category except threes. In the last ten games he's averaged 17.7/4.9/4.2 on 39.7/42/80 splits. He's outproduced by Cam Thomas, especially recently. Teams aren't pressuring or doubling him, he doesn't handle the ball much. And he doesn't even check the opposing team's best scorer, that matchup is given to Finney-Smith. Most importantly, he's not even playing hard. It's like he's checked out even though they are within reach of the play in. Brooklyn has had a cake schedule and have no incentive to tank, yet they've lost ground to injured Atlanta.

Atlanta's asking price for Murray was two first round picks and they had no takers. Meanwhile, Brooklyn turned down the frankly insane offer of their multiple picks from Houston. If that rumor is true, then Stone is an idiot that was saved from himself. He basically offered Brooklyn almost the entire package he got for Harden. Arguably, it's a better package than he got for Harden because those picks are more valuable to Brooklyn than any other team. Brooklyn can control their own destiny and tank, boosting the value of those picks, while we traded Harden to Brooklyn's super team with only the hope that they would collapse. I sincerely hope the front office is not this short sighted.

Shark44, 13 in 33, xiki and 5 others like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ok what about Green? How does he carry the load?

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This thread isn't about Jalen Green, but he's stepped up recently. In the last ten games, Houston is 7-3 and he's averaged 24.7/5.6/3.3 on 46/37.8/83.8 splits. He's scoring, attacking the paint, hitting a ton of threes and crashing the boards. Defensive hustle has been there too. I've been extremely critical of him this season, but he's been playing great ball.

13 in 33, roslolian, topfive and 2 others like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For sure Bridges has fallen off a cliff since he averaged 21 pts in the infamous season after the Phoenix stint......when everyone was expecting him to be the next Kawhi Leonard lite.

13 in 33 likes this.
  12. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

How many times will other people have to save Stone from himself?

MrButtocks and vince like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. But luck isn't sustainable. Smart is.

subtomic, MrButtocks and vince like this.
  14. vince

vince Member

There is a fine line between being patient with young talent and being delusional with rose colored glasses. And both can get GM’s fired!

It seemed that the Rockets were starting to get very frustrated with Jalen Green’s wild swings in how he played offensively from game to game. Though he was doing the little stuff to show progress. But Green isn’t anywhere an all-nba defender, so if he isn’t scoring, his defensive effort falls on deaf ears.

But as of late Green looks the part of an elite NBA star. It’s still a small sample, but he isn’t just scoring effectively as he’d done in previous years, he is doing his part with defense, rebounding, and leadership.

Still too early to tell, but who wouldn’t like what they see in Jalen Green.

roslolian likes this.
  15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Brooks and some combination of 24 and 26 picks probably makes the most sense depending on how the lottery goes. If it's 1 it might be worth keeping but if it's 2-4 I'd think something like Brooks/24/26 that turns into a pick swap if it's top 4 is fair. If 24 is pick 8 or higher then Brooks/24/26 for Bridges.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares? It's been working so far.

Stone already did all the ground work for this rebuild now they just need to wait for the youngsters to grow up. By hook or by crook whether by skill or luck Stone did his job and at the end of the day that's what matters.

Y2JT likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Oh be quiet. Again, yall have no idea what was offered, including whether there were protections. I swear this board continually reaches for reasons to criticize Stone, even when we’re on a 7 game win streak.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. I've never seen a GM cruxified for moves he didn't make as much as Stone and get things that happened under his watch attributed to others. Maybe Click with the Astros, but I'd say Click with the Astros was more that he was patient with not parting with assets from a great team and the ADHD fan base equates patience with bad.

topfive, roslolian and Scarface like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It really doesn't make sense to me. Everyone lauds the OKC rebuild -- and deservedly -- but OKC (1) won 40 games last year, about what we'll win this year; (2) took over a year longer to get to the 40 win threshold as compared to our rebuild (they traded Paul in 2019, whereas we traded Harden in early 2021); and (3) we have a like top 10 pick in this draft.

Scarface likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The higher the putative lotto pick is the road paver to ‘control’ a would-be deal. #1? Bring it on and let’s see the return.