1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] X-Men '97 (Animated)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DreamShook, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

#81 Beezy, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    cwebbster likes this.
  2. Beezy

Beezy Member

Modern with some retro flourishes. They used some sort of filter to make the image softer/slightly out of focus, perhaps to simulate an image being viewed on a CRT TV with poor convergence. The effect does make the art look less digital. I don't really get anybody complaining about the animation for this. The action scenes got the bulk of the budget, but the story scenes are more than serviceable.

#82 Beezy, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you sir

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Shocked that I liked it so much. It's better than the OG. The OG only had a few good episodes here and there let's be honest.

I'm cool with the Magneto/Rogue twist, I like it! The more comic nods the better.

Some stuff I liked:
    • Wolverine had small roles (so far) - he's not a focal point. That's where he shines.
    • Claremont styled downtime banter (Cyclops on his role, Jean/Storm talking) - the OG cartoon was usually 90% gratuitous action
    • Storm portrayed as a badass & tactical leader - clearly OP compared to Cyclops
    • Sentinel "omega level threat detected" - that's cute

pmac and Beezy like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hopefully the MCU gets Sue Storm's ass right.

"I lost my footing"- lulz

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jontro likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Personally I think this animation looks like they ran a retro "feel" into Chat gpt. It looks off. It looks like digital art. It looks better than What if but not by much. The action looks good, but I still dont like the animation at all. And the He-Man animation is WAAAAAy better than this.

'97 is really popular I hope we dont get more animation styled like this. Im going to be sad.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Magneto and Jubilee takes a while to get used to with the new look, but they hit the mark on other nostalgia bits.

It's better accept it buddy. The old animation used a lot of korean artists (with 90s wages) and was made for 480i TVs

For reference:
    480i = 307,200 pixels
    4K = 8,294,400 pixels

Ziggy and DreamShook like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

it's not about it being better. Most animation is "better" than the 90's because the technology is better. There is no soul in this newer animation. They cut corners for the fresh new resolutions and render speeds.

I want to mention I like the show with all my nit picking. I promise I wont be nit picking the animation in here, im just saying.

Beezy and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t have Disney so haven’t seen the show
    but I didn’t like the animation style then and don’t like it now. It has nothing to do with how big the female characters assets are just not a fan of the style.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh! 1 thing I do dislike is Morph getting people's powers when he changes. He shouldn't be able to fly.

12. Beezy

Beezy Member

Apparently he only gains the physical abilities. Still OP when he can turn into Colossus. Makes Mystique a low tier b****.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

it's made by studio mir but i can't get past the moonbeam city style and the intentionally stiff animation. i also can't stand cgi faces. i couldn't finish the first episode.

DreamShook and Rocket River like this.
  14. Beezy

Beezy Member

Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people say the CGI and animation in this show looks bad but stuff like He-Man and Blue Eye Samurai look amazing. I do think He-Man has some great designs and nicely hand drawn stuff, but the animation is choppy and not that great most of the time. Blue Eye Samurai is the definition of bad looking CGI animation in shows for me.

Back to Morph, his big power upgrade is still kind of weird to me, but it makes for cool scenes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#94 Beezy, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Ziggy likes this.
  15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I haven't seen BES but If you're referring to Netflix He-Man that stuff is Filmation with improved action scenes and backgrounds.. Same studio who made Castlevania which was so overrated. Overall, the animation quality is too close to the original series or other Filmation abominations like Sports Billy.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

nobody on earth said Blue eye samurai looked amazing. (im being hyperbolic, im sure someone likes it)

but you cant tell me He-Man looks like ass. Look at this sailor moon henshin sequence.

#96 DreamShook, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Beezy likes this.
  17. Beezy

Beezy Member

I'm not. I'd say it's way better than Invincible, which actually looks like ass outside of some fights. The worst recent thing I can think of is the later seasons of Young Justice. That show started great but I couldn't finish it when it turned into a slideshow. Funny enough, those seasons were animated by the same studio as X-Men 97.

That scene is a highlight because like magical girl transformation sequences in anime, the artists get to go all out. I wish the action sequences could have received that budget as well, but it is just a streaming show and not an animated feature.

#97 Beezy, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    DreamShook likes this.
  18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone else feel like the same 10-20 episodes of the original only ever aired on Fox 26? Just watched all 5 episodes of the Phoenix Saga, and I swear it was the first time I saw the last one...

Fun read for the Juggernaut meme fans.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I really dont mean to hijack the thread, but I disagree. The fights in heman went crazy. if 97 was animated like this I would go crazy.

20. Buck Turgidson

Me, as a person who likes animation but does not like anime at all (with very few exceptions), thinks that looks horrible.

You, a person who likes anime, thinks it looks great.

Different strokes for different folks (no @Jontro)

#100 Buck Turgidson, Mar 23, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2024