1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Semaglutide is the microcosm for the failed American insurance system

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 20, 2024.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not many people know this.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's awesome. Thanks for the info. Good job.

I haven't read any other posts yet, but I figured some criticism was coming. I'm not afraid of it.. I'm somewhat active, but not nearly what I used to be.. some of it is forced and some is not. We could all do better.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

The actual answer is for the government to give incentives to these companies to produce like crazy and lower prices. Honestly, these meds can save billions. We've subsidized crazier industries.... Not that this industry needs it.

I don't have an answer, but what if we followed the model the rest of the world uses and negotiate directly with these companies and maybe provide small benefits for increased output.

#23 Two Sandwiches, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  4. Two Sandwiches

I agree with you, completely. I was hoping to get Mounjaro, as it's the best drug for my specific situation, and isn't backlogged.

I also have been debating this for quite a while, and felt somewhat ashamed about it, to be honest. I made the appointment months ago, expecting some of that backlog to clear.

#24 Two Sandwiches, Mar 20, 2024
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. Xerobull

Really, this is the true answer, @Two Sandwiches. You can't take shortcuts and slap bandaids on everything, that's what most Americans do and, eventually your body is going to give out like an old ****ing dam and you're going to have serious heart problems, cancer, a stroke, diabetes or a super-sized combo of these and/or other things.

You sincerely need a major life change, bro. I know it's hard, but you should put your life in perspective and figure out what you need to live for and always keep that in mind. Then start making changes. Ask your family to help. Pre-cook your food, take it with you, drink a ****ton of water every day to fill yourself up. Get some cardio at work, like a walk. Ramp it up from there. You can do it.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think diet and exercise is the best answer.
    Exercise can be a hobby like hoops or biking etc
    Try eliminating a few things from your diet
    I rarely order French fries or onion rings , I just eat the burger

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

While it's a failure that our medical system inflates some drug prices 50-fold, it's also a societal failure if "the ozempic talk" is a thing.

9. Two Sandwiches

I don't disagree. I am working on it slowly.

My lifestyle is honestly not bad. I just need to move more and lift more, like I used to. Problem is, time. I also not to stop getting snacks when I do for gas. I also have been fighting this my entire life, as I'm somewhat genetically, and definitely by nature, pre-disposed to being fat. Literally my entire family is, save for my brother, and he definitely has worse habits than me.

I appreciate the encouragement, but that's not necessarily the point of the post.

I know the answers, it's just unfortunately really hard for me to pass the test still. Almost like having dyslexia.

As I said, I'm never going to be skinny. I was working out the hardest in my life, six days a week, two hours a day, 5 mile runs 3 days a week, and still was only able to get down to 215 in 6 months of doing that. It's just not possible to sustain that anymore with my busy life.

Trying to work my way back though. I'm definitely not someone that expects medicine b to fix everything.

tinman and Xerobull like this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

That's been reality for decades now.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@OneSandwiches

Nook and Xerobull like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

While exercise is vital for health and is a major help when trying to lose or maintain weight, it's incredibly hard to outwork a bad diet as you age. This is a dietary problem, simply a surplus caloric intake.

What's unfortunately not simple, is the brutally constant discipline needed to correct that problem. I don't know too many guys who want to be "skinny" so I'd exchange that with terms like cut, optimal BMI range, or low body fat. You can achieve those goals through mainly diet, and exercise, don't accept defeat.

13. Xerobull

6'3" and 215 is phenomenal and a great goal.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

When you get older, your metabolism slows to a crawl while your hormones change in normalcy.

That means increased muscle loss, weight gain with the same diet and energy imbalances.

Most Americans either eat more or the same when they get older and they generally work out less due to lifestyle, time constraints and workload.

It's a total ground-up rework beyond just eating less and doing more exercise. Thinking like that usually means you rebound a few weeks or months later with a few snags or boredom.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The funny part is that at its core, it really is simply eating less calories and or burning more.

For some (probably most in our environment) people, thats a mountainous endeavor of constant self discipline and intense mental / physical warfare. For others it’s as easy as picking up a new fun physical hobby and sticking to a simple dietary frame work without much extra thought.

#35 ThatBoyNick, Mar 20, 2024
  16. Two Sandwiches

I wish I had time to pick up a new physical hobby. Sometimes life gets in the way.

In general, your post is true, but not always the reality people live in.

FrontRunner likes this.
  17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You know what semaglutide does? It makes you not want to eat. It works. I am on it for diabetes and I don't want to eat.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don’t think that’s a fair interpretation I’m purposely acknowledging both sides of the coin in my posts. The topic by nature is incredibly individualistic

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I had a job that let me be physically active while I worked. Modern life is very sedentary.

Nook, ThatBoyNick and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Eating well in this day and age isn't cheap either...