1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Teams that have World Series ambitions do not play these service time games.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Oh you mean like the astros with springer. What a stupid take. If they wait two weeks on loperfido they get another year. That’s not playing games that’s trying to be relevant for decades which is what the Astros are doing better than anybody right now.

3. No Worries

The year that the Astros brought up Springer later, the Astros thought that they were World Series contenders?

Good to know.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No, but your comment was stupid nonetheless. The astros are World Series contenders virtually every year in no small part with how they handle their limited resources. I want loperfido to get his shot this year, but raking the fo over the coals for waiting two weeks, really?

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  5. No Worries

First, let’s not confuse a marginal prospect like Loperfido with prime prospects like Springer, Correa, Bergman or Tucker.

Second, the Astros slow walked Springer and Correa since the team had no playoff prospects.

Bergman and Tucker were brought when they were ready, since the Astros were more playoff hopeful. IIRC Yordan falls into this category as well.

For the last few years, the Astros have added farm hands either due to injuries or due to the farm hand being ready.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah he had a good september while hitting .237 with a .299 OBA. Lets hope that the upward trajectory continues.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yordan missed super 2 by 1 or 2 days. Doubt he was happy about that. It ended up being irrelevant because they got an extension done the next season but that seems a little too convenient.

Hunter Brown probably deserved to be up earlier in 2022.

Nook, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That wasn’t irrelevant man, that wa as part of why the extension happened (the Astros having that extra year and about 25M of leverage of Yordan for what he’d have gotten in year 4 of arbitration in all likelihood.

panamamyers likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree with your point. I meant irrelevant in the sense that Yordan didn't hold the kind of grudge Springer did since Yordan did sign the extension.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. I don’t even know that I believe soringer really held all that much of a grudge. I just think. He was a NE guy, wanted to get back there and houston didn’t offer him over market to stay.
    He signed a 2 year deal during arbitration that likely had a bit of a discount to jt (also had certainty) so it wasn’t like they were completely at war with each other. and- that was also the previous regime.

11. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Dude.... Just look at the back of his (2022) baseball card

Stephen66 and Tomstro like this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The Orioles have scored 64 more runs than the Astros this spring. Same amount of games.

It’s a tad worrisome

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

[​IMG]

14. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Orioles have a lot of great young talent. They haven’t gotten to the big stage like us but they’re on the right path.

raining threes likes this.
  15. raining threes

Loperfido doesn't look like a marginal prospect to me.

He looks like a legit prospect to me.

Radricky, Qan, toby and 1 other person like this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hope you are joking, though in all honesty, I do think the Orioles are the best positioned to win the AL. So much young talent, with experience now, and they have the best prospect in baseball (Jackson Holliday). If Burnes & Means can stay healthy, they have a very good rotation compared to last season. Their biggest weakness at this point is probably the pen.

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

They are further along than you think. They won 100 games in the AL east last year. They are the best team in the AL right now.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Unfortunately I’m not joking. They are the best team in the AL and they have new ownership that wants to win and will spend money. The entire city is frothing at the mouth now. The ownership change is huge.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. No Worries

I probably should have picked a better word than "marginal".

Loperfido :
    Scouting Grades: Hit: 50. Power: 50. Run: 55. Field: 45. Arm: 45.

The Astros have him ranked #6 in their Top 30 Prospects ... likely not in any Top 100 MiLB overall lists.

Loperfido has shown enough in the minors to get his chance in The Show. I think most people here see Loperfido as having legit MLB skills and are very hopeful that he will be able to stick.

I would group Loperfido with players McCormick, Myers, Grae Kessinger, Bryan Abreu, Brandon Bielak, Ronel Blanco, Shawn Dubin, and J.P. France. These are everyday players but not likely allstars ... players that unless they have a breakout season are not heading for a big FA payday. Obviously from this list, Bryan Abreu has made that break out.

These are types of players that MLB teams need to develop in order to manage payroll size and team competitiveness. They can start and be able to play average to above average, filling in for injuries and/or replacing roster spots lost to FA. But not players who have to have their service time gamed.

ryan_98 likes this.