1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

?

Who will you trade next season?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2024.
  1. Alperen Sengun

9.5%
  2. Jalen Green

19.4%
  3. None

71.1%
  1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Where is both options?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

clos4life and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

4. CCM721

CCM721 Member

It's hilarious how both of you managed to ignore the entire point in my OP when I stated an elite high IQ big should not result in any responsibility conflicts with a score first guard (in particular the guy who ironically said Jalen can't shoot, as though Kobe was a knockdown 3 point shooter despite it being probably the weakest part of his game) But since we're going down this road age 21 Kobe played next to the most dominant force the NBA has ever seen, Jalen Green has been surrounded by Alperen and trash. It's almost like it's easier to get good looks at the basket when you have a 7'3 350lb center with strength never before seen in the NBA creating space and generating gravity. 11 out of Kobe's 19 seasons he shot under 55 TS%(I'm not sure how this is going to significantly go up for him in today's game he wouldn't suddenly not be a below average three point shooter), which post-2007 also happened to be very similar to the league average each season. Jalen Green joined one of the worst rosters in NBA history, Kobe Bryant joined a roster coming off a 53 win season which was also adding a top 5 center of all time. The comparison is ridiculous, because the situations aren't comparable and the comparison wasn't even made. It was made in regard to roles, not in regards to ability. Kobe wasn't even considered efficient in his prime, he was right or wrong regarded as a blackhole on offense as much as probably anyone in NBA history.

Also, here's the OP since reading comprehension is hard.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

No Im sorry I love Jalen but he's played like trash most of the season and he missed wide open shots to this point. I am a fan of jalen not a stan so i can admit his flaws. His stans wait til he plays well and act like he's the second coming of Kobe and its everyone else's fault when he cant hit wide open shots lol There's no difference in the system he is simply making shots he was missing before.

Tankeio likes this.
  6. CCM721

CCM721 Member

The fact /r/NBA has higher opinions of Rocket's players than an actual fan forum is truly embarrassing.

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

What's embarrassing is shaming the truth. Im telling the truth. Jalen hasnt had a good season til now. THATS THE TRUTH.

cml750 likes this.
  8. CCM721

CCM721 Member

What’s embarrassing is continuing to push a narrative that you can literally scroll up in this thread doesn’t exist. No where did I say Jalen was having a good year.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen green is a 6'4 / 6'5 sg with limited length and depends mostly on his athleticism and speed.
    This is like building around Westbrook with a slightly better outside shot for those that think it is easier to build around JG.
    High scoring shooting guards that are "kobe wanna be's" aren't exactly rare in this league. Hell we have Cam Whitmore sitting on the bench injured who could easily replace Jalen after a couple years.
    Sengun if he can truly develop that 3 pt shot is a rare specimen and harder to replace. A 6'11 big man who has insane court vision, insane foot work, high iq, and can do the things Sengun does is incredibly rare. Even if he eventually becomes a 6th man like Kevin love did, he's still worth keeping for that role if he wants to be here. Also I don't think Sengun is someone who complain if he were moved to that role, where as Jalen, from what was said in a previous thread, would never accept that role.
    I say keep the guy who is more of a one of a kind talent, and is already putting up insane stats at a young age, and has a team first mentality over someone we can easily replace.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh, don't forget to leave out the part where Kobe's first two years were developed under Jerry West and coach of the year Del Harris, surrounded by Shaq, Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, Elden Campbell and Byron Scott. At 21, Kobe was playing with a player (Shaq) who takes any team to the playoffs, has made the Finals, beat MJ in the playoffs, cleans up everyone's mess as a rim protector and rebounder, draws double and triple teams on every play. Kobe shot horribly his first two seasons despite all this help. He tool 40% fewer attempts than Jalen and was playing against bench players first 2 years.

I assure you Jalen Green would be a few percentage points better next to a prime Hakeem Olajuwon after two serious years of development under Udoka and chemistry building with Olajuwon but that's not how it went for Jalen.

Jalen joined an NBA team where he was developed by Rafael Stone and Stephen Silas, surrounded by leaders Kevin Porter Jr, Eric Gordon, DJ Augustin, Christian Wood, Jasean Tate. Yeah there might be a lag in his development. Those numbers however are staggeringly close to an all time great SG - given Jalen's situation vs Kobe's.

In general the comparison to Kobe is drawn not to say they will end up the same, but that because they came into the league similarly (HS level basketball, no fundamentals, skinny, athletic, showy SG) then their early careers would have similar challenges after you adjust for context. All really HS-level, skinny SG's struggle with efficiency their first couple of seasons. Jalen was in an especially bad development program before and within his NBA career. So to me it makes sense to say something like: if it took Kobe Bryant 2 seasons for the light bulb to suddenly turn on (when he went from bench calibre to all nba 3rd team calibre) even with all those advantages, then it might take Green 3 seasons (2 Silas, 1 Udoka) for him to reach his own non-Kobe and optimal potential.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I'd keep the entire core, these guys just learned to play winning NBA basketball. I'm 100% sure they will be worth more to us or on the trade market with one more year of development. I can't see any way anyone's trade value gets lower. We're in a very solid place and should only be hunting elite young players.

We have insane defensive potential. It's not normal to have the 2 guys who's defense people were worried about (Jalen and Sengun) starting on a top 8 defensive team. It's because of the unusual abundance of excellent defensive talent we have in Jabari, Amen, Tari as young guys and Brooks, FVV, Tate as vets.

We also have 2 guys who look like surefire 25 ppg guys (Cam, Sengun) and 2 guys who will be triple double machines (Sengun, Amen). We need Green and Amen to step up to that role of attacking from the perimeter. They're both showing a lot of promise right now.

I can clearly see the potential to be a top 5 defensive and top 10 offensive team > that's more than enough to win a title. We have cap space easily in 2025 if we want it. We even have good picks coming in that we can develop or roll over. We can use a little offensive help or internal development. Otherwise I'd be very picky with what we do.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"as if"

topfive and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And the only point of my post was to highlight that relative to the era he played in Kobe did not struggle with efficiency his first few seasons. He was above the league average. You can go on about the reasons and if situations were different you can know with certainty that Kobe would have struggled and Jalen would have excelled….All I’m saying is that pointing to Kobe’s efficiency and saying it was not good as a young player is wrong. The first season Kobe’s TS% was below the league average was at age 35.

Nothing about my post was to detract from Jalen Green. It was meant to highlight the error in using Kobe as the guy to compare to as a young player struggling with efficiency.

Joe Rocket and napalm06 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Jalen Green is a rebounding De'Aaron Fox and not Kobe.

Fox had been on some bad teams and some mediocre teams before he made the Playoffs, Green might make them sooner but it is similar.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Premium reply to dollar store thread:
    Trades are always a question of return. If you think a trade will have a positive impact on your ability to win in the next few years you do it. It's more of a question of what's coming back.

Alas, we have an owner whose most famous trade so far was centered around pushing a player out instead of what would come in... can we trade owners?

#95 napalm06, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  16. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

@fchowd0311

Not true at all!

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Have to disagree here. If you’re shooting 2-3% above league average while going against bench players taking just 6 or 11 shots per game - these are not future star numbers. Same is true if you double your attempts and shoot 2-3% below league average. These are a disappointment for Jalen Green and Kobe Bryant.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well agree to disagree on the Jalen/Kobe comparison.

Can we agree on this….Devin Booker is a much more apt comparison for Jalen Green when the premise is young SGs struggling with efficiency early in their careers?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You beat me to it!

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't vote because I like both players. Although I think that their talents can not be maximized playing with each other, I think both players CAN be future stars. But just not on the same team.

I think the Rockets are going to have to make a decision soon on how they want to play? I think Jalen was figuring out how he can play with Sengun before Sengun got hurt but was his talents really being maximized? After Sengun went out, we can all agree that his level of play went up higher. But so did Amen and Jabari.

And that's where I'm at right now. Does playing fast help the masses; Jabari, Tari, Cam and Amen or does playing through Sengun benefit just him and FVV?

To me, that's what has to be answered.....HOW ARE WE GOING TO PLAY MOVING FORWARD? I wish Sengun can come back before the end of the season, so we can get an idea.