1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, love that with the red helmets and red numbers and red pants. The font on the numbers is nice, wasn't sure at first but I really like them...........the numbers on the Rams new unis are so bad I am glad they didn't go that route

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm just pleasantly surprised we didn't go off the deep end like the Rockets did in 96.

JusBleezy, ROCKSS, texanskan and 8 others like this.
  3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We haven't seen the "wild" one yet...

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The worst rebrand EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

JusBleezy, ROCKSS, texanskan and 5 others like this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

I remember the debut when Drexler walked out with that kid...my cousin called my house immediately and we started started talking ish about them. It wasn't just that they were bad, they held on to them FOREVER. Many teams big cartoony uniform phase came and went and yet the Rockets stayed with shark rocket for like 4 more years after that.

6. MadMax

The timing was terrible….you’re just off winning back to back titles and bringing the most respect to the logo it had ever had….and you don’t just tweak..you entirely do away with your dominant color and the entire color scheme…you completely replace the logo and all branding. I know they made the decision to do all that BEFORE they won the titles…but holy crap, it was just awful.

And you’re right…that it was cartoonish made it worse. Any change would have been pretty stupid all things considered..but that kind of radical change at that time was just beyond bad.

7. ima_drummer2k

Calling it the worst rebrand in human history isn't hyperbole....it actually may be understating it.

The logo was a joke, but to me the pinstripes were the worst part. They weren't even real pinstripes. They were these weird faded pinstripes that didn't even go across the whole uni. It was like someone tried to spray paint them on but the can ran out of spray-paint halfway through. And that home court.....seriously.

I literally think those were the worst uniforms in the history of college/professional sports. No hyperbole.

JusBleezy, ROCKSS, Zen Tabak and 3 others like this.
  8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The beveled numbers didn't help.

ima_drummer2k, Blatz and MadMax like this.
  9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Rockets re-brand in the Yao era was not great, either. How do you eff up the color scheme, logo and uniform so badly for 30 + years?

10. MadMax

It wasn’t great…but it was so welcome to me. Moving back to red was huge.

Also never wear those ****ing green jerseys again that have another city’s name on them. Absurd.

11. War Machine

War Machine Member

12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

The white stripe some are putting on their mockups makes the bull horns look like a clown smile.

[​IMG]

#1772 Blatz, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I liked the wide contracting collar. Put that back and maybe...

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And that the Astros ditched their colors ~4 years later for rust, sand and black (after inexplicably ditching orange in '94) makes the mid/late 90s perhaps the worst branding stretch for any city in the entire history of sports. They just completely trashed everything that made those two teams unique.

It was a really dark - and extremely ugly! - time for Houston.

(And I don't really pay much attention to/care about the Rockets/NBA - but that they *still* haven't brought yellow back into the mix is a giant miss.)

15. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

wait,...what?!
    This is Clutchfans amirite?

Shark44 likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are at least some of us who don't care about the sprockets and still like clutchfans for other discussion forums.

17. ima_drummer2k

The Astros absolutely NAILED it on their last rebrand through. The current uniforms are the best uniforms in their entire history as far as I'm concerned. I hope they never change them again. They are literally perfect as-is.

18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that I have the current set ranked fourth best in their history is a testament to how good they’ve been throughout their history because they are fantastic.

You shouldn’t be surprised that I believe the original Colt .45’s unis were the best ever and some of the best in the history of sports. The smoke curling out of the barrel of the iconic revolver to form the “C”, the “.45’s” logo on the cap, the striped stirrups…all outstanding.

The rainbow guts and the shooting stars are 2a and 2b. I know the rainbow guts are on both best AND worst lists, but the fact that that style has been imitated countless times in countless color combinations at every level of the game has made them iconic and undeniable.

I think the current set would be improved with some blue and orange striping on the sleeve hems and the collar.

19. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, I actually left out the Colt 45 unis because technically they weren't the Astros yet. LOVE those unis.

That's one of my favorite things about their current home whites - they look so similar to the original Colt 45's.

Blatz likes this.
  20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The whole concept was a winner from the start. A truly original name and logo that they went all in on. I'm sure we've all seen the pics from the ground breaking ceremony for Harris County Domed Stadium...the one where they used six-shooters instead of shovels. The original female ushers were called "Triggerettes". Hell, even their first minor league affiliate was the Moultrie Colt.22's! And those WERE great unis.

I got my throwback when I lived in MD. A Dick's sporting goods store had an entire rack of them...like 50 of them for $80 which was like 65% off at the time. Turns out somebody bought them all because they mistook them for BALTIMORE Colts jerseys.