1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Ancient Moabite

So does Green get the same treatment for defense top 7 being starting SG?

The only question (concern) I had about AS was his height, not that he can't dominate at current height, I just wish he was naturally Jokic/Wilt/Kareem height, so he could be that much more intimidating on both sides, but even more so defensively because he plays with high motor/contests shots and that extra height/length is super helpful

What you anti Green /a hit dog will holler club members need to over stand is that Green playing like this is only increasing the brown nose level of Stone who wants him to keep playing like this into 65+% of next season so he can extend him and use this current version of Jalen to get Rockets back to contention.....think like Stone (as much as you can), not ike cxbby (emo fanatic)

You let a talent straight out of HS get the full rookie deal before making silly knee jerk decisions, especially the flash it has shown and growth on the other side

AS is included in those plans (extension) as well

Green plays well with AS, he just wasn't hitting 45% from 3 like this current streak, we just have to wait until next season to see what it do for that duo, as well as the other young studs

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Honestly I really really want the OP to be wrong. I want to see this Jalen alongside Sengun. He was already playing really well before Sengun went down, he had one of the best games of his career against Phoenix when Sengun was in. We were 4-1 in our last 5 when Sengun went down. Now we've kept it rolling without Sengun. I just really hope this version of Jalen isn't a result of Sengun being out. I just want this to be the new Jalen. The real Jalen. Father Jalen?

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The thing I keep pinpointing are the lanes being open....thats the key. With Alpi out of the lineup, everything is open.

Rather than coming down and playing PNR between Alpi and FVV, they are coming down and looking to attack the basket....ITS A DIFFERENT GAME, A DIFFERENT TEAM

Philip K. Nick and gfab-babyboi like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Richaun Holmes was licking his chops at this front court just wait until any starting caliber center sees it lol

5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Some things have opened up for Jalen with Alpi out but a lot this explosion the last few games has been predicated on him hitting some 3's he was generally missing for most of the year.

If this is this what the real Jalen is without Sengun going forward AND the Jalen that we saw for most of the year is what the real Jalen with Sengun would be going forward then it's possible there's a version of the Rockets better without Alpi. I am very, very, very skeptical both of those things are simultaneously true. That second game against the Suns was his best game as a pro up to that point and he didn't have a very good game against the Spurs.

tagedieb likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Not at all..........but we need Sengun and Jalen to play more pick and roll when he gets back. Jalen's ability to jump will make scoring easier off a Sengun lob. You can't do that with Fred.

7. VoR

VoR Member

They are a different team. The thing is that Sengun and Green aren't the best compliments for each other. Neither is FVV. Sengun and Green can compliment each other but it will have to be with a different PG. Ideally, the team plays with 2 combo guards and run Sengun at point. Think a big team. Green would be the smallest player.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So welcome back KPJ? >DUCKS<

DaDakota, coachbadlee and VoR like this.
  9. VoR

VoR Member

:eek: More like Haliburton or Cunningham. ;)

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we can use Alpi or Bari as PF or C depending on matchup … neither role need to be defined

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. monster

monster Member

It’s been easy to be without Alpy since the Rockets have been shooting well. Let’s see if people’s opinions change after a few cold nights from the field.

I think it’s good for this team to get some burn without him…good experience and helps us see how other players are progressing. But, I don’t think we’re better without him. Re-assuring to see that others can step up, but not better.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is best for the Rockets

bro2044 likes this.
  14. Mathew Diekhake

Dr. Samuel Johnson, my mentor.

Dr. Samuel Johnson would be a Jalen Green fan by the way. No question.

15. pippsux

pippsux Member

TBD

JG and Amen in the starting lineup is a more athletic, faster and more spacious offense and not having Sengun has freed them.

Long term though and in the west, they gonna need some size and that’s Sengun and Adams. We won’t know till next season, but Amen and JG are making a great argument

Proud to see them making that jump

bro2044 likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

NBA is trying to be slick. They want us to give Sengun to the lakers

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Imagine if we did that trade in shedding Ralph ahead of the 1984 draft... then trying to figure either/or with Dream, Drexler, and Jordan rather than making it all work together. Just saying.

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

#198 j@amc, Mar 20, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
    KingCheetah likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The biggest silver lining of Sengun’s absence is that it has increased the Rockets’ spacing, which has likely contributed to Green’s improved finishing. An elite athlete like Green can soar through the air if there aren’t any bodies in the way. Once Sengun returns, can Green continue this level of production with a playmaking hub at the center position?

The biggest beneficiary of Sengun’s absence hasn’t been Green, though. It’s been the rookie Thompson, who is playing as Houston’s de facto center. Even though he stands at just 6-foot-7 and weighs 200 pounds, the Rockets now have their 99th-percentile athlete hanging around the dunker spot, looking for lobs and dump-off passes. And he’s being directly involved in more actions, frequently screening for Green or VanVleet and then rolling hard to the basket.
    ______

[DIVOT]

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I mentioned this earlier, but just for kicks, would Alpi alone be enough for the #1 pick this year??