1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. launches unlikely presidential bid as a Democrat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Oh ****ing come on, man, really?

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm aware.

3. basso

Supporting Member

three little birds?

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who spent a lot of time organizing and campaigning for a third party I can tell
    You it’s not easy. This was just on a state level. It’s vastly more difficult on a national level.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. basso

Supporting Member

My sense is the moderate democratic wing is much more tolerant of progressives than traditional conservatives are of Trumplicans.

would be interesting to see moderates of both sides with national profiles, say Manchin, Romney, Sinema, Yang...I'd even throw Haley into the mix, form their own party. I know many, may disaffected republicans would appreciate another, mainstream, option.

6. Buck Turgidson

Bob had three little birds

Rob has three little brain cells

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I cant even fathom the uphill battle, I would love to have a third option. People (myself included) are so used to just 2, donkey or elephant, those are your choices, take it or leave it. In my small circle of friends, I have a few who won't vote this year because they hate the choices, I think that's dumb and dangerous but it's their choice. I personally think everyone should have to vote and it should be a holiday but hey part of living in a free country is that you can pick not to vote

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Minnesota Independence Party (Jesse Ventura’s ) which I campaigned for started out attracting people from both parties. Following Ventura it had candidates such as one of the last Blue Dog Democrat US reps and people who worked in Republican state administration’s. In 2010 it ran a candidate who had been chief of staff for a former Republican US Senator and got support from former Republican Senators and a former Republican Minnesota Governor. The chair of the state GOP called those people quislings. By then the Minnesota GOP was being taken over by the Michelle Bachmann wing of the party.

Since then the Minnesota GOP is heavily MAGA and most of those Republicans who left have become never Trumpers and supported Biden in the last presidential election. Because national politics have played an outsized role
    In even local politics it’s been difficult for the Independence Party to attract money and candidates.

ROCKSS and basso like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

September of 2010 showed how hard it was. Our candidate for Governor, Tom Horner had swept the endorsements of all of the major papers in the state. Including both Twin Cities papers. He had the backing of prominent former MN politicians. This would be like a candidate running for governor in Texas having the support of Kay Bailey Hutchinson and Rick Perry. He was on every debate with the Republican and Democrat candidate. Polls were showing him getting into striking distance to upset them. In two weeks John McCain came to the state to campaign and fundraise for the Republican and Obama did for the Democrat. National parties poured money into the race and we were badly outspent by both major parties. Tom Horner could barely scrape 20 percent of the vote on Election Day and Mark Dayton the Democrat won.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s Nick Dixon Jr.

12. basso

Supporting Member

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Exhibit A as to why I think RFK will hurt trump more than Biden.

ROCKSS, dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

His antivax messages harm and kill people.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

He could on issues but the Kennedy name carries a lot of weight among a segment of Democratic voters. He’s leaning into that background with his superbowl ad copying one of JFK’s ads.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

"I'm so sorry if the Super Bowl advertisement caused anyone in my family pain. The ad was created and aired by the American Values Super PAC without any involvement or approval from my campaign. FEC rules prohibit Super PACs from consulting with me or my staff."

18. ROCKSS

The biggest negative for Kennedy is this exact scenario, he says something controversial, then gets called out and says he never said it then they play the clip..........................dude, you said it, either own it or put it into context

19. ROCKSS

Yea, I am not buying that excuse.......in this day and age someone is doing a SB ad about YOU and you have no clue.....................sorry, doesn't pass the smell test.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps just a coincidence, but it appears the Kennedy family's response...

ROCKSS likes this.