1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The RESTRICT Act (TikTok ban)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are studies that show you can construct a psychological profile based on languages used. It's not hard to imagine that LLM (AI) can create a good profile based on user posts and actions. So, I don't think it's a far-fetched theory that user private data can be used to build a personal "psychological profile", and that once you have that profile, it's easier to "manipulate" the person with targeted and designed information/content. This is probably especially more effective on younger teens (the demographic of TikTok) than adults, but it can be effective against anyone.

NOTE: awareness helps user to be less vulnerable and perhaps over time, user will become more "immune"... maybe

Rocket River likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks. I think Awareness is definitely the route we should go
    It seems so much of our "prevention" would be more effective if we simply educated people
    but we seem very resistant to doing that

Rocket River

Amiga likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's how Trump won in 2016. I actually was very against that accusation.

Amiga likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm ok for ban, but it would be unAmerican and against our free market and speech principles if we did.

Rockets, missiles, and chip semis I understand are nat security interests, but a platform where a bunch of zoomers and tweens post dumb ****?

How tf is that different than the features zuck and youtube has ripped off? Because their customer info is accessible for a price through data brokers or by backdoor suppoena?

Give me a break

6. Space Ghost

The option is to divest or leave.

Tiktok is used by all demographics....unfortunately.

If google or meta were caught exploiting bugs in the hardware and spying on people and then passing that info to foreign governments, people would go to jail.

There is no over sight at TikTok. Idiots like AOC use it and the Chinese have direct access to her phone.

Tiktok is Chinese Spyware.

7. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The establishment wants to ban TikTok because they cannot control its content.

8. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The Establishment certainly doesn't want young Americans to learn the truth, therefore, TikTok must be banned.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brought to you by the same folks that beleive Biden is owned by China.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You have more patience than most of us. I don’t know how you do it…on the bbs at least.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The Biden Family has received a lot of money from China, under the table, of course.

12. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The reality is that leftists absolutely DO NOT CARE about political corruption, as long as it's their political masters engaging in the corruption.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But obviously the money wasn't for diplomatic and policy favors for China.

Or is Biden requiring all phones to have Tiktok secretly active under the table of course?

14. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I cannot say I like this very much
    Is this an example of Capitalism stifling innovation to protect the status quo?

I guess the law of Supply and Demand doesn't apply here

As some one pointed out .. . how is it TikTok has to have an american buyer
    but not american homes and real estate?

Rocket River

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They don't want Tik Tok for the same reasons they don't want BYD cars, facism corporatism

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Oh man, I hope they don't access Moscow Margorie` s phone and find all the maga talking points................oh the horror!!!!

On a serious note, if China is involved in anyway shape or form it needs to go, you can't tell me they would not use it against us if they have not already done so. Next thing we need to do is reduce the number of homes any foreign person can own and limit the amount of land in the process.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. Space Ghost

Imagine you are campaigning for the best parent award and you decide to take your kids favorite toy away. Now imagine if the other parent promises to let them keep it.

Are Democrates so arrogant to think they have the young vote and minority vote locked up at this point? The bored suburban house wife is going to also be pissed if you take their tiktok away.
    China Trumped Biden. They will shut it down before divesting.

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If China shuts it down before divesting, then you know this legislation was the right thing to do. Any company willing to turn down billions in a sale like that was clearly up to no good.

Space Ghost likes this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Because they don't want to give away their algorithm. What is the point of the app without it.