1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Couldn't they also keep him all next season and just not pick up the option on his 3rd year? Trading him means more than likely taking on salary that lasts beyond next year.

No Worries likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why would the Rockets take on salaries that aren't expiring? If they do, man that's got to be some good draft capital plus likely that salary being expiring the following year.

I don't see why the Rockets would not exercise the 3rd year unless he gets drastically worse next year.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

FVV is too important to what we're doing right now. For the right deal I would trade him in the offseason, but it would have to be for a star player who can take on a large percentage of Fred's ballhandling duties and at least come close to what he provides defensively.

I think there is a possibility of him being traded at next year's deadline if Amen is really breaking out and looking like our best point guard. Otherwise we'll probably keep him at least one more full year and make the call on picking up his team option after that.

Dillon Brooks is the guy we should think about trading. We have a lot of depth at the 3 spot once Tari comes back.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The problem with young players are that they typically either greatly increase in value after being drafted, greatly decrease in value, or are close to FA/already getting paid. I can't think of any young players that are reasonably available for the 8th pick.

Would Trey Murphy be a fit? I don't like the he will be extension available. I'm not sure NO would trade him. Are there better fits than him?

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Very possible. Although I don’t know, I almost like riding out that third year and having that be the season where we try to win around or so in the playoffs.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I personally want to make the pic, I think that there will be plenty of great options there to continue our build. However, what sort of trade are you trying to cobble together with that sort of asset?

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im determined that if we are picking late lotto, we should attach that pick to Jalen for a really good player.

fattz likes this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My intention was most certainly for at least a star. I'd assumed that FVV was brought in to intill culture & stability, on/off the court...and, then use the contract as a facilitating device. We certainly have players and sweet picks to add to it for the right target. With much of the offense running through Sengun, and Amen handling an increasing load, I'm less concerned. I've been confident when it's time to come off FVV's teet, it'll happen. Cam's abiliity to initiate, and get it on all three levels will play into this, more and more as he progresses.(kid's gonna be a superstar) And, if Jalen's still here, it means he's likey playiing better, another ball handler/playmaker. (feel like he goes out in a deal though) Anyway, I get where you're coming from with Fred, but we'll be good.

As to Dillon, he's also a culture guy, a leader on this team, and important to what Ime wants to do on the defensive end. That contract is okay for now, and eventually becomes grist for the mill one day too. But, as of now considering Tari's health, and lack of time as a starting 3, I'd say he stays.

OMT- I'm guessing that whomever we make the move for is going to be able to handle the rock too.

#808 Plowman, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Maybe a sign-and-trade for a pending free agent? Claxton, Quickley, and Monk are up for new deals.

10. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Thank you SPURS the only time I would thank the team and Wemby

saleem and zeeshan2 like this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Nets are 17-33 since December 1st and 11-35 (.314) since January 1st, despite a very easy schedule. They dropped three games to Memphis, Detroit, and Charlotte last week. If not for the good start they had at the beginning of the season they would likely be a bottom 4 team.

They might be one of the worst positioned teams for next season. A lot of factors are beyond their control. They have no lotto pick unlike the other tanking teams. Ben Simmons just had his second back surgery. Claxton is an unrestricted free agent and could leave no matter what they offer, although unlikely. Brooklyn has no young players that show promise in taking a leap next year.

Looking at the teams currently below them in the standings I could see Memphis, Charlotte, and Toronto surpassing them next year. Ja and Lamelo will be back. Toronto has a young star in Barnes that's still on his rookie contract and they just acquired young players in Quickley and RJ. Even Detroit might improve after these years of tanking. I'm thinking we have just as good a shot at Cooper Flagg in 2025 as any other team.

#811 MrButtocks, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, but I'm thinking that was part of the rationale for overpayiing him...to use that contract...for a star or even a superstar...that we'll be happy to pay.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd assume most free agent's want to be paid appropriately (i.e., they are paid their value such that paying with a pick is a drastic overpay). Even an RFA is likely to be close enough to their value that the pick would be an overpay.

I'm assuming if the Rockets trade the pick, it is either for future draft capital or with other assets for a player. I just think the one pick for one player teades just have a hard time fitting what the Rockets want (i.e., quality). The Rockets need playmaking, defense, and 3-point shooting (at least 2 of the 3) from a player capable of starting with Amen and Sengun.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2023-24-week-22

Y2JT likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

At this point given the tank job Toronto and Memphis are doing, as well as Atlanta looking so bad, we have to hope Brooklyn keeps losing just to hold onto that 8th spot. A 6th or 7th worst finish seems out of reach.

Zen Tabak and saleem like this.
  16. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Keep it and pick a 7 footer (Filipowski) to develop behind Sengun and Adams. Use MLE to get a great shooter (Grayson Allen, Buddy Hield)

FVV, Amen, Holiday
    Jalen, FA shooter
    Brooks, Cam
    Jabari, Tari, Green
    Sengun, Adams, Filipowski

Keep the future picks available for a superstar SG/SF trade if they become available (Booker, Ant, etc). Otherwise just keep organically developing.

ArtV and Plowman like this.
  17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

With the way things are going it probably makes the most sense. With extensions coming up young players under team control are going to be needed.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

I hope that pick is Top 8. Let's add a shooter or a big!

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Amen might be one of my favorite players on the team right now but it is almost unimaginable for him to replace Fvv’s role by next year. The way we have unlocked Amen’s game so far is by using him more as a pf or even center than a pg.

Again I bring up the Timberwolves, who added a 35 year old Mike Conley to their 22 year old star in order to bring that franchise back to respectability. Why in the world are we in such a hurry to get rid of the 30 year old Fvv?

20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Or both. I'm leaning more towards Kel'el Ware with this pick. Let him learn the finer points of defense, screen setting, and body positioning from Adams for a year. He adds legitimate shot blocking and he has a nice 3 point stroke. Above average rebounding as well. Personally I think we need that 7'7 wingspan on this team considering the length that we will have to face for years. He's already 240 plus so no need to wait for him to fill out. Dudes a sleeper in this draft.

BamBam, rfrocket, No Worries and 3 others like this.