1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I believe in God and that ALL go (eventually) to Heaven. Would you like that outcome?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by K9Texan, Mar 17, 2024.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm a universalist. I also don't believe Hell. Most of our concepts of Hell come from Greek literature.

Meet Dan McClellan -Biblical Scholar who's also an expert on Ancient Hebrew & Greek languages and cultures.

ROCKSS, dobro1229 and K9Texan like this.
  2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Even Debbie Johns?

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm a church-goer but not a believer. I do like thinking about and debating theology. But, when I see arguments about mistranslations, I don't walk, I run in the other direction. Why would I bother with a God who atones for everyone's sins and brings us the Word, but then tolerates everyone misunderstanding a central tenet of his work for thousands of years? Don't get me wrong. If you're right and there is salvation for everyone, even a non-believer like me, that'd be great. But, I think the mis-translation argument (and, related, the suppressed gnostic gospel argument) is just some motivated thinking to find evidence to believe the thing you would prefer to be true.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We are nothing more than worm food. Though I do like the idea of the tree fertilizer process.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, no way in hell someone can have a black person hanging from a tree and they’re going to heaven

please

6. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

That's a very fair question. My belief is that God allows us to be lost from him for a time so that we can learn. What are we learning? We're learning that we cannot do it without him. I mean, look at this hopeless world. Only God can fix this mess that we created. Through Jesus, God will eventually permit ALL people to believe in and follow the son. You see, nobody can believe in and follow Jesus until the Father allows it and God allows it in his own time. Most go to their grave having never believed in Jesus, but that is all a part of his plan. Eventually he'll bring ALL into the fold.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Romans 11:25
    25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

John 6:44
    44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

7. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The Apostle Paul murdered the Apostle Stephen. Jesus revealed himself to Paul and permitted Paul to repent and seek forgiveness for what he had done. Jesus will do the same with ALL. The Bible says so. However, that's not to say that wicked people won't first go through the "Lake of Fire" (hereafter the "LOF") prior to going to Heaven. The Bible tells us that the truly wicked will go through an extraordinarily unpleasant process in the hereafter, but its purpose is corrective, purifying, and restorative. God didn't create people in order to throw them into a pot of boiling oil to be tortured forever.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Such a thought begs the question.... why put us on this earth for 0 - 120 years to begin with? Why not just create us in heaven?

I'd say 99% of people who ever lived lived a super super s&&& life. Half probably died by age 5. The rest suffered in extreme poverty where disease, hunger/famine, natural disasters, rape, war, brutality/subjugation were constant companions.

AroundTheWorld and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The ORIGINAL scriptures that were breathed out by God did NOT contradict themselves. The contradictions came 1,000+ years later when fallible men, who may or may not have been sincere in their purpose, obviously and blatantly botched translating God's word that THEY ended up contradicting themselves. God didn't do that; they did. It is INDISPUTABLE and I already provided one prime example. There are many more.

10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

It might be a blessing to be called to Heaven at the age of 5. I'm certainly not qualified to speak for God and pretend to explain why and how he is preparing us for his Kingdom. I can share this with you:

Romans 8:18
    18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

11. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I have to run for now but I have so much more to share with you. But I'll leave you with this for now. You and everyone you have ever known will be healed, made perfect, and will live FOREVER with God himself in his kingdom! Praise God!

12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Following

AroundTheWorld and K9Texan like this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Why don't we just start in heaven?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.”

Palms 137:9

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member

Knock Knock
    Who's there?
    Jesus, let me in
    Why?
    I'm here to save you
    From what?
    From what I am going to do if you don't let me in.

K9Texan likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nothing is indisputable in the D&D!

But save yourself the time on persuading me. If my wife can't convert me, I don't think you have a chance. I have enjoyed, however, the break from the endless parade of Biden and Trump threads.

17. Xopher

Xopher Member

Yes he did. If God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent he knew full well that I would be an atheist and he would cast me into the fiery pits of Hell. What is he going to wish I would change? He knew all before I was ever created so he knew exactly what would happened and created me anyway. Therefore if God did exists he is not omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient.

1. If God exists, then God is omnipotent, omniscient, and morally perfect.
    2. If God is omnipotent, then God has the power to eliminate all evil.
    3. If God is omniscient, then God knows when evil exists.
    4. If God is morally perfect, then God has the desire to eliminate all evil.
    5. Evil exists.
    6. If evil exists and God exists, then either God doesn’t have the power to eliminate all evil, or doesn’t know when evil exists, or doesn’t have the desire to eliminate all evil.
    7. Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This has been the main issue for me, but not because of anything Jesus said in the Bible because as scholars will tell you... Jesus never even talked about hell, but because of the Evangelical Church which uses the carrot and the stick approach in order to keep people engaged, and donating their hard earned money to their church.

If you are there at church because you are trying to get a reward, and avoid a punishment then there's no reason to believe you'd be there if you didn't feel like you needed to be there. Then it begs the question of whether or not you are in it for the right reasons.

However yes the Old Testament God is a very cold authoritative god at times. He wipes out the entire population in the events leading up to Noah's Ark as a prime example. But even the God in the Old and New Testament is not nearly as cold, and manipulative as the modern Evangelical preacher, and the Evangelical leaders that fund propaganda through their media such as the 700 Club, Daystar, Focus on the Family, etc. To these people like Jerry Followill Jr., James Dobson, Pat Robertson, etc. they claim to speak with authority that takes the most extreme interpretation, and wields that fear to enrich themselves above all.

The Bible is one thing... a very decent Religious text with some conflicting translations, and a few problematic areas.

The Evangelical Christian Nationalist Propaganda movement is another.... which IMO is pure evil, and exactly what the Bible warns against in the later chapters of the New Testament. They are the ones who are saying give me your money, vote the way I tell you to vote, and I will make you feel like you are going to live in a big beautiful golden tower as soon as you die while all of those heathen liberals out there have to burn in hell for eternity. They are the ones saying that... not the Bible and ESPECIALLY not Jesus.

19. conquistador#11

It dont make sense going to heaven with the goodie goodies
    dressed in white.
    I like black timbs and black hoodies

gifford1967 likes this.
  20. Xopher

Xopher Member

https://www.crossway.org/articles/jesus-said-more-about-hell-than-anyone-in-the-bible/