1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. RussE

RussE Member

I'm saying Framber has become a head case again. It was apparent the last part of 2023. Needs a new shrink.

IBTL likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

LOL

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By head-case… you mean he’s fallen in love with his sinker that when he gets it up to 98-99mph, has very little sink. That and his ankle injury that was pretty bad, but he toughed it out and played through it (may have been ill-advised… but they really had zero other options at that point, and needed every win he was a part of). So playing through an injury also = head case.

It’s not like he forgot how to throw a baseball and is hitting the backstop ala Rick Ankiel. THAT is the head case scenario that all pitchers are technically at risk of (the baseball pitching version of the thing that can’t be said out loud). His breakdown came out of nowhere, was on a bigger stage being the playoffs, and his team had already given him a 6-0 lead.

But back to Framber… somebody should really break down his mechanics between late 2022 and 2023 and find the pitch selection/sequencing/velocity sweet spot. Of course he does have to accept the advice/coaching and adapt accordingly… and if he’s not mentally processing that, thats a legit head case problem.

rockbox likes this.
  4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Yeah it’s disgusting. If he didn’t fall off so hard last year I wouldn’t be worried. But yeah this isn’t exactly breeding a lot of confidence.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not worried about Framber yet. He just needs to throw strikes and make sure his breaking stuff actually breaks.

raining threes likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. He's always been a bit of a head case, but he's been unraveling more lately these days.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I meant with some of the new faces but yea, it’s good to see our vets and Myers produce

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Last Spring training, we were talking about Dirden. We weren't even talking about JP. Most of the evaluation is made on stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't see.

#828 rockbox, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The posters here who complain about how inconsistent Framber is are simply ignorant about baseball

Extremely few have been more consistent

scott_summers and SamCassell like this.
  10. Yordan The Great

How do you dare compare Montero and Abreu in 2023? That's ridiculous.

Abreu after May became one of the best RBI guys in the majors and certainly did not disappoint in the post season.

11. Buck Turgidson

He had a stretch from the end of June to ~mid August when he was pretty terrible. Of course he threw a no-hitter in the middle of it all.

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Two no hitters (or at least one full and one partial). With absolute garbage games on either side and throughout the whole postseason. It’s incredibly weird for the same guy who set the quality start streak record.

I don’t know what to make of it, but it is hard to trust him until we see him string together some good games.

(I do know Maldy was his catcher for all the garbage, so I’m not at all buying the “pitcher whisperer” stuff.)

The Beard, Wulaw Horn and Stephen66 like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't believe in the Maldy pitcher whisperer either. However, I do have some concerns with the fact that Maldy caught EVERY inning Framber threw in 2023 and in 2022 Maldy caught all but 3 innings Framber threw in 2022.

That concerns me because it will be a significant change for Framber and so far it hasn't looked great in spring training. That was terrible managing on Dusty's part to let Framber only pitch to Maldy... but remember Dusty said we will thank him later for not playing Yainer more last season.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm still NOT thanking you Musty.

everyday eddie and Stephen66 like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

To your point yeah- there was so much grab bag and utter garbage last year that I need to see it this year. my concern with him vis a vis getting an extension is that extreme sinker ball pitchers age in dog years. 30 or 31 seems to early for that but I’d be really nervous about giving him a na over type extension. I’d rather Snell the next 2 years than Framber. I don’t know if that’s the consensus opinion or not, but it’s my preference.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He is really an under-rated pitcher.

For the Astros in the early 90's he had a season where he had like 70 appearances and 120 innings and an era of under 2:00 .... he was like a 5 time all star.

Really a good career.

The Beard and Radricky like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

Was one of the more interesting arms that Luhnow signed in his last draft. JUCO guy, the Astros gave him a pretty big bonus from what I remembered. He is a physically big pitcher, he relies on his fastball which doesn't have upper 90's velocity, but it is very hard to pick up as release point gives hitters fits and he can move it up or down, but it is more effective up in the zone. He has a power slider to compliment the pitch. He has in recent years stopped trying to strike everyone out and just make his pitches.

He has been hurt a lot in his career. He had a bad knee in high school and JUCO. He missed the 2020 and 2021 seasons because of COVID and injury... struggled in 2022 after not pitching for two seasons, and then turned it on in 2023.

He is possibly someone we see in the big leagues if he pitches well. Some positive things being said about him recently.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bummer.

current SP pecking order:
    Valdez
    Javier
    Brown
    France
    Blanco
    Bielak

Arrighetti
    Gordon
    Kouba
    Tamarez

Verlander (late April)
    Garcia (July)
    McCullers (August)
    Urquidy (TBD)

If Verlander or France have any kind of setback it might be time to start looking at Lorenzen or Keuchel or any other living arm waiting for a job.

The Beard, IBTL and No Worries like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

His history of walks is likely what has kept him out of the big leagues.

The ability to me seems to be there...