1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros in hot pursuit of Blake Snell

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Okay I was told the Astros are talking to teams about Montero.

2. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Likely.not this season anyway. He’s absolutely gone after his contract is up.

Fiah and Rvo384 like this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Montero and a low level high upside prospect or two for roster space and salary relief would sound like a sweet deal to me.

ryan_98 and Rvo384 like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I honestly don’t even know that Snell is all that good. He is inconsistent and he doesn’t pitch a lot of innings.

Also - like I said before, these 1 year deals with option years 2-3 for players are not great for teams IMO.

Yesterday or the day before Rosenthal reported the Astros were close on Snell. That isn’t what I heard and I said so. Talking? Yeah but close? Not what I heard.

Now told Astros are seeing what the interest in Montero is around the league. Has to be connected to the tax although I wasn’t told that.

I get the same line - “Crane and Brown both are obsessed with improving this team.”

I’ll be mildly surprised if the Astros get Snell. There are teams out there with more money - but I also think this highlights that Snell isn’t as accomplished as he and Boras think. 2 great years and 4-5 years of “okay” doesn’t breed confidence.

arkoe, Fiah, Stephen66 and 7 others like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

2 years 66 million for Snell, I'm not even a big fan of his but that seems extremely fair, even with the second years being a PO.

I get why we're balking at it, we are already red lining our spending,have a team that's good enough as is to win it all and he's been inconsistent. I don't understand why the Yankees or one of the other blue bloods aren't all over that. For a pitcher with CY young upside and no long term commitment it seems like a no brainer.

6. Buck Turgidson

Remember when posters were gnashing their teeth over trading Bryan De La Cruz for Yimi Garcia? Fun times.

Wulaw Horn and Nick like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed - and I personally wouldn’t trade the second best reliever in post season history if I want to win the WS this year or next.

Late innings deep in the playoffs are extremely difficult to pitch well and succeed at.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Teoscar for Liriano was a bloodbath in here... probably moreso because they didn't make any other moves (but of course, 2 trade deadlines back then... and we all remember what happened with the second one).

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Bad news today... Framber still sucks
    Good news today... maybe we get Snell for insurance

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I completely disagree about the 2nd year.

The Astros ( and we) know what Snell and Boros' desires and plans are.

Unless the Astros offer him 9 figures, the only way he does not opt out is if he is terrible or injured and neither one is good for the Astros.

There is no way the Astros think it would be a good thing for him to not opt out and therefore need to structure the contract as such.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And the team will have an abundance of relief arms once some of the injured guys start to get back.

Give me the quality starter and the prospects over the final year of our current 8th inning guy.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the Astros would likely need to eat some salary too.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we can sucker anyone into eating that contract, it'll be cause for celebration.

Hell, just having Montero gone will be cause for celebration.

14. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

In exactly two years, Snell has been a quality starter. The four years between he's been mid. You want to give him $33m/year and also drop Pressly 's $14m to make salary room? You act like this is Verlander or Scherzer in his prime - he's far from it.

I'm happy to add Snell in a vacuum, although he's a giant risk who led the league in walks (in a good year) and has pitched over 130 inning only 2x in his career. But not at the expense of an Astros legend.

"Our current 8th inning guy" is really underselling the value of the best relief pitcher in Astros history, bar none. Put some respect on his name.

Fiah, Buck Turgidson, Nook and 3 others like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's Pressly's final season here and honestly I see him as the worst of our current 7-8-9 and the team needs starting pitching.

Suggesting Pressly is even close to the best relief pitcher in Astros history is either a statement about your youth, how much you over rate Pressly, or both.

Would I expect Snell to come in and be our ace? No.

Would it be drastically overpaying for Snell? Yes.

That said, the Astros win a lot more games with Snell than without him.... and he's certainly a lot more valuable than the current version of Pressly

17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

We are getting Snell

IBTL likes this.
  18. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

He has a vesting option for 2025

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even more reason to move him

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

More likely packaged with a low level, upside project in a NBA-style salary dump move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.