1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Can't replace this kind of talent.

Darth_Kenobi likes this.
  2. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

Could also be that teams had more tape with sengun and haven't scouted our current lineups....

3. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOO... long time ago The Dream was out, and the Rockets went on a run, and people were asking the same thing..
    Most the time when one of your key players are out, the rest of the team will step up for a SHORT RUN... But Not for the long haul

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Teams have publicly said they have to game play against Sengun. The only Rocket on the team that is double and triple teamed on a nightly basis.

clos4life likes this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is a statistically proven fact, and has been part of professional gambling metrics for decades. Also prior to the Sengun injury, the whole team was playing better as is. Sengun being out has nothing to do with Jalen playing w more energy, being aggressive on defense, and hitting open shots.

Ime mentioned in the post game press conference today how the success of some guys was not due to spacing and Alpi being out, they are however able to play at a faster pace. Jalen has always been streaky, he has had runs like this in previous years. I would need to see another full year of him under his rookie contract to decide on personnel changes and his next contract. I really wish Tari and Cam were healthy, I am curious how they would be effected without Sengun as well.

We have to keep in mind that Ime and his staff are relatively inexperienced themselves, so they need to figure out how to make things work. If Denver can make things work w Jamal and Jokic, then we need to be able to figure it out as well.

One thing I have been saying all along on Jalen is, do not sell low. It makes no sense to sell low on him, I have said for a while he is worth a top 10 pick in this years draft, and he is likely worth more at this stage now. Any deal around bridges involving Jalen would be dumb even if we sent no picks back.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Same can be done with any other players in the team. Anybody can be made to look bad if you pick only the lowlights.

EErrNN and Ancient Moabite like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sorry buddy, but “years to come”. If you can’t fit with the franchise player and can only play well in pickup games against the worst teams in the league then show yourself out.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Got em!!

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

The best franchises can attack in so many different ways. If Dream and Glide can mesh, so can Sengun and Green... it's not an either or proposition.

BamBam, Hou_rox, Rokman and 1 other person like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yazim, been saying give me a team full of wings from 6'6"-ish to 6'9"-ish.

Get rid of the 6 foot guard and the plop-plop big lug centers that can't shoot 3's.
    They can go extinct like the dinosaurs.

Switch everything on defense and everyone shoots 3's. Look it up.

You'll see others post a picture of Buffalo Wings off of my, "Bring me Wings." Me and D-rock have
    pushed it for years.

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's why I picked a highlight.

calurker, Plowman and Strawberry Gum like this.
  12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Seriously…..Jalen always does this in the end of the year. Oh, because Sengun is CLOGGING up the lane Jalen can only shoot a field goal percentage of 41%…right…right

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Whose?

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think it helps our team play a bit faster. The most important thing you have to remember is that other teams do extensive research and game planning against a Sengun lead Rockets, not a Jalen Green lead Rockets. If by some miracle Green stays consistent then other teams will adjust in shutting him down. The reason the team is successful right now is because there isn't as much data to gameplan against and if it ever came to them needing to I am sure the league would find a way.

Jalen playing decent is refreshing and it does help the Rockets play more towards their strengths by playing faster but there isn't reason Sengun can't play faster. He and FVV developed a chemistry in half court offense and that became the norm but doesn't mean it has to be. If they go with Amen as the PG of the future and not stick him in another spot Sengun will have no choice but to adapt to a faster style of play.

#34 Swapshop, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah I think it was obvious that in the past months teams have been game planning specifically to shut down Sengun, whether it's late double teams in the post or taking away his rim running PnR.

We are catching teams a bit off guard now with a new style of play

clos4life likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No - but i want to see the data on these last 20 games without him vs the rest with him and see if there is anything to learn.

DD

clos4life likes this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Luckily for us only teams that are fighting for the playoffs or a certain position the ladder will even bother to do enough research this late in the season so we might be able to catch even more teams off guard.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ok, so we should go back to having Robert Covington at center. Everyone loved that. It was so successful that the entire NBA is doing it.

I think we're done with this jackass festival

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you have been an idiot for years. Congrats. That 6 foot guard and big lug center are the best players on the team and it’s not even remotely close.

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bro also thinks Adam Silver rigs the league with magnetized rims and basketballs.

[​IMG]