1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Xopher

Xopher Member

You're right. Defenses are constructed different ways. If you have two bad ass DEs then your DTs just need to be space eaters and take up space to let the DEs get the QB.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

From my understanding, they had a contract on the table or there were discussions until Miami offered a wealth of draft capital. KC decided to take the draft capital.

And I think you are making my point. If KC can extend Jones to a $150M contract, where only $7.5M counts against the Cap, if they can FIND WAYS to maneuver around the Cap, why can't the Texans??

Are they that much more innovative than us?

3. Xopher

Xopher Member

For who? Tell me a Chris Jones level DT they could have done this for. Jones wanted to stay in KC.

Joshfast likes this.
  4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

We still got time, there are moves that can be made. I wanted DT to be #1 get this offseason but we pivoted to premium outside pass rush when it became a possibility it seems. I really don’t want a rookie DT, (to develop yes, not for an instant impact/need) I’d hope they get experience somehow through trades/cuts.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I hear you......that's why I didn't have much faith in Jer'Zhan Newton.....because he is a rookie that
    got 7.5 sacks, but only 8.5 tackles for a loss (vs lesser comp)

I'm thinking the Texans are going to restructure Tunsil contract for Sneed and our DT's won't need to be great. But the price got steeper a day ago. 1st round pick and pay him $19M needs thinking over.

But bringing back Stevie Nelson is ok with me. Decent players are always cut in preseason.
    I'm sure DT and corner should be available then. We can't have all pros at every position.
    I wish we could. But not likely. Falcons went to a Superbowl with 3 or 4 rookies on defense.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think if KC wouldn't have offered him what he thought he deserved, he wouldn't have left? You SERIOUSLY think that?

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

They used the picks and got rice and mcduffie from those picks and they didn’t need hill(although the chiefs got lucky) to win these SBs to add to your point

Xopher likes this.
  8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

There is really no need to have a conniption. Just relax and let things play out.

Porkasaurus85, cmoak1982 and IBTL like this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

KC is going all in for a 3rd straight Superbowl. Jones is going to have a cap hit of 35 million in 2025. Mahomes 66 million in 2025. KC is headed for a world of hurt, but they don't care if they win a 3rd straight. Houston is totally different. We are building, KC is there.

Porkasaurus85 likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No text messages at all so far today

J.R., IBTL and Joshfast like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that we can't have All - Pros at every position. All I wanted to do was to fill our weakest positions; DT, RB and WR, keep who we had and try to get better in the draft.

It appears as though we got better at the positions we lost in Free Agency but still haven't addressed our WEAKEST POSITIONS.

Its not over, so we will see.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Man, let's just watch the Rockets and UH and chill out. That's what Nick is probably doing.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Why would they want Keenan Allen? He’s old and injury prone.

If they really wanted Keenan Allen that much, then why not go after a better and cheaper player like Deandre Hopkins.

14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I think that means something may happen.
    Loose lips sink ships.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member

Yep. Teams that are building do not overpay. If you are there then you might. In a vacuum Tyreek is better than those two. But the draft capital, other players they were able to keep with the cap savings are better than one Tyreek. For every KC there are multiple Miamis who have to shed players because over overpays.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

When you’re already way over the level you should be paying for an injured player, that 3M is a lot

17. conquistador#11

Price is way too high. You need to cottttt it.
    [​IMG]

Rudyc281 and zeeshan2 like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes I'm not looking for 360 refrigerator Perry DT but 310 works for me.

Sweat might exceed 360 too soon. But others can hold the line while still being quick enough to
    catch Lamar Jackson being flushed out of the pocket.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Nooooo! This is what Im saying, this kind of thinking.

What would be the difference in the Texans and KC, SF, or Bal if we could have spent $5M more. We signed Noah Brown to a 1yr $5M contract, when we could have spent an extra $3M to pay Armstead and $2M to sign Barkley?

We would have been on par with those teams! Now is not the time to be thinking about tomorrow.

20. Xopher

Xopher Member

The Texans can get 20 million in cap space by restructuring Tunsil and Howard. They have somewhere around 18 million now. If they want Sneed they can get him. I would give the 2nd 2nd rounder. Still plenty of cash to find a big bodied DT and a Safety. Use the other 2nd rounder on a WR in the deepest WR draft in forever.

ApacheWarrior likes this.