1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros in hot pursuit of Blake Snell

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Mar 15, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Screaming Fist

This would be fantastic.

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm guess 30-35 million per with a players option after the first year.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I have not heard anything about them being close to signing him personally. The last I heard any Astros news was on Adam Duvall and I passed it on a day or two ago.

I know that the Astros and a group of teams have kept in touch with Boras, but that doesn’t mean anything is imminent. The Astros also have kept in contact about Duvall and Taylor and other outfielders.

Having said that - Ken Rosenthal doesn’t report non sourced news. If he says the Astros are trying hard to get Snell, then I believe him. I also know that Crane has made positive comments about Snell in the past.

I don’t know how the Urquidy injury changes all of this as I have heard zero today on a signing.

I wish I knew more… but this isn’t like Hader when I was told over and over again that Crane was going to try and sign Hader and he wanted him back after losing him.

itzIce, Marteen, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Good point - let me fire up the fax machine and see if I got a fax.

itzIce, Marteen, J.R. and 3 others like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Smoking

6. HeyBudLetsParty

Playoff rotation of Verlander, Snell, Framber, Javier with McCullers, Garcia, Brown, Abreu, Presley, Hadar in the bullpen feels like a wet dream.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

JP France too . That guy was key for a few months last season w/all the injuries. Don’t sleep on him

8. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

My short memory of JP pitching in the playoff was game 7 of ALCS. WTF were you thinking Dusty!!!

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

IIRC, Verlander is teaching him a 2-seam sinker

For better or worse, but **** it it's gotta be fun

eta:

https://www.mlb.com/news/j-p-france-has-new-pitch-ready-to-build-on-2023

It was a gesture deeply appreciated by France, who appears to have secured a slot in Houston’s Opening Day starting rotation and is adding a sinker this year to give him a pitch to throw inside to right-handers. The rest of France’s arsenal -- he threw a fastball, cutter, changeup, curve and slider last year -- goes away from right-handed hitters.

“You can tell it has good movement and is going to be a good pitch for him,” Altuve said. “Just the fact you know he has a two-seam coming at you, you stop diving forward. It could have two effects: one is good movement and gets you to roll over and the fact you know he has it is going to put hitters in a tough situation.”

#29 Buck Turgidson, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Nook, ryan_98, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Only 1.5 weeks left before season starts, Boras needs to fill his clients with teams. With G.Cole likely out for the season, Spankees need him. Stros better not over pay him because in 4 years before his Cy Young this year, he went 25-26 and his ERA around 3.75. He will be better for the Stros, but getting Boras' contract number instead of the Stros number is a mistake. Boras specialties are the Opt outs, remember Carlos Correa signed with the Mets, Giants?!?!?!?.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

12. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Let's put one thing in perspective. Snell could exceed his value next off season by going to the Astros even for 1 year and out. He goes deep in a playoff run and the offers may be massive compared to going to another team that needs him to be THAT guy every game and doesn't even make the playoffs. Hopefully we can convince him of 2 years at least before opting out but I'd take one easily, even at the cost of a draft pick.

scott_summers and CVcrew like this.
  13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Did we sign Snell yet

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. CinematicFusion

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Holy **** it actually might be happening. As someone posted before.... if all healthy in the playoffs:

JV
    Framber
    Snell
    Javier

Plus the bullpen....

Holy ****

IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2 yard line? Key to a championship?

18. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

This upsets me in a way that I feel we could've pulled the trigger for both Hader and Snell last year and had a better shot of winning it all. But if we wouldn't have won anyway then at least we saved on draft picks and trade value.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If everybody is healthy it would be an all time great pitching staff top to bottom. Playoff rotation of Snell, JV, Framber, and Javier with a bullpen of Hader, Pressly, Abreu, Brown, McCullers, Garcia, Montero, Urquidy, and France…that’s sick.

joshuaao, Phillyrocket and htownrox1 like this.
  20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Almost time for the "Compensation pick Appreciation" post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.